MAGS July “Animal Protagonists” (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/07/2019 06:50:42

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS July?

Hopping Homeward
5 (41.7%)
Research Reservations
3 (25%)
Birdy Birdy
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 23/08/2019 03:24:52

Stupot

Voting is open. Sorry for the delay. Please vote using the poll above.

Hopping Homeward
by NuggetSeb

Research Reservations
by VampireWombat

Birdy Birdy
by Cassiebsg, Kastchey, Ibispi

Animal protagonist
Topic chosen by Blondbraid, Cat and Slasher.
Deadline July 31st.

Literally what it says in the title, the entry must have an animal as the player character, and two more criteria:
1. It has to be an animal that exists or have existed on Earth, no aliens or fantasy creatures.
2. It can't be an anthropomorphic animal wearing clothes or being part of a civilization, it has to have roughly the same lifestyle and abilities as a real animal. (Basically, a character like Lassie is OK, but a character like the ones from Zootopia isn't)

To reiterate: The idea is to challenge yourselves with making an entry based around an animals perspective and abilities, not furries living practically human lives.

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Stupot

Quote from: TGames on Mon 01/07/2019 06:59:07
Sounds interesting, I'm in!

The gauntlet has been thrown.
Anyone else in? Why not ask around and form a team?

Cassiebsg

I like the topic, might be in if I can think of a story.
Been a while that I want to make a game featuring an animal.  (nod)
Only problem is I'll be going on vacation a week before the end of the month...  :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 01/07/2019 06:50:42
1. It has to be an animal that exists or have existed on Earth, no aliens or fantasy creatures.
2. It can't be an anthropomorphic animal wearing clothes or being part of a civilization, it has to have roughly the same lifestyle and abilities as a real animal. (Basically, a character like Lassie is OK, but a character like the ones from Zootopia isn't)

This really sold me on this month's theme.

I want to make a game about doges. But I'm also trying to finish my other game, so still undecided.

TGames

I think I came up with a pretty cool idea where you play the canine companion of an adventurer, I'm hoping I can turn it into a fun an interesting game.

KyriakosCH

Interesting :)
But I have no animal character animation...
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Stupot

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 02/07/2019 13:43:10

That's why God invented first person games ;-)

But seriously, there are plenty of ways around it. You can have a static character that just changes position or posture instead of animating. Make it like a comic book or visual novel.

I'm surprised that anyone makes full animations for MAGS games at all. They're so time-consuming.

VampireWombat

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Tue 02/07/2019 13:43:10
Aren't there places to get character animations?
I saw something mentioning animation included when I was looking on OpenGameArt.org earlier for cat sprites.
Like this simple cat.

DarkWater

You beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest OpenGameArt.org as well. It's a great place to find characters, items, backgrounds, music or sound effects for your games  :-D

BTW, great theme this month, unfortunately Summer is my busy season and I doubt I'll get the chance to work on anything for it  :-\

Radiant

One of the more original ideas I've seen in awhile! We'll have to see if I have sufficient inspiration this month  :grin:

VampireWombat

I need to ask before things go too far. Is it okay to have more than one player character as long as one fits the non-anthro animal criteria?

Stupot

I thought this article was relevant:
Open World Game Lets You Solve Mysteries As A Gang Of Cats
http://www.ladbible.com/technology/gaming-open-world-game-where-you-solve-puzzles-as-a-cat-is-being-made-20190717?c=1563378320994

@VW The beauty of MAGS is you can interpret the themes in many different ways. As long as you feel that you are keeping to the spirit of what the topic setter intended rather than using a cheeky loophole, then you can do what you like. At the end of the day the voters will decide.

VampireWombat

Thanks for the info. Though it does look like I'll be doing a different game for several reasons.

The link to Peace Island does sound quite interesting and I think partially influenced my new game idea.

Cassiebsg

Still don't know if I'll meet the deadline, but just like to say that I now have an opening sequence for my game. :) Placeholder art though.
Now I need to add a couple more puzzles, so I actually comply to the theme.  ;)

DBoyWheeler

Yeah, too bad I have too much going on in RL.

But to have a non-anthro animal as a main character... hmm... has anyone considered a "Honey Badger Don't Care" game?   (laugh)

Stupot

How are we getting on? Anyone need an extension?

Cassiebsg

Well, not sure I can meet the deadline even with an extension... otherwise I'll have to upload it after and not be on the run...

On one hand, the game is playable (sorta, need to fine tune the order of the puzzles) from start to end (and we even have some music tracks, thanks to ibispi!). On the other hand I'm still running with placeholder graphics and no BG...  :-[

Stupot

Well I'm going to be back home in the UK for a week and I'm not sure what sort of time I'll have to deal with it, so I'm happy to leave submissions open until the end of Next Sunday (August 4th), if you need it.

VampireWombat

I've barely done anything on my game, honestly. I was planning to do most, if not all of the programming today and tomorrow. I don't need an extension with the amount of content I had planned, but if the extension until the 4th is given it would give me time to add more rooms.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk