MAGS July “Animal Protagonists” (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Mon 01/07/2019 06:50:42

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS July?

Hopping Homeward
5 (41.7%)
Research Reservations
3 (25%)
Birdy Birdy
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Fri 23/08/2019 03:24:52

NuggetSeb

I could use the extension to the 4th, just to make sure everything is working!

Cassiebsg

We appreciate and can give it good use, thanks  (nod)
So lets hope my internet decides to work on the 4th so I can upload a working build.  :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

NuggetSeb

Title of Game: Hopping Homeward
Download Link: https://kiwinugget.itch.io/hopping-homeward
Screenshot:

This was a collaborated effort between myself and Kiwi, the itch.io linked is our shared account! This is our first game!

Stupot

Looking nice, Nugget. Congrats for finishing.

Notice!
The thread for MAGS August is up. However, I accidentally put it in the Complete Game Announcements thread. I'm sure a mod will rectify that soon but until then, head on over there to find out the new topic.

Rectified

VampireWombat

Congratulations on one game being finished only slightly past the normal deadline.

I have no idea the status of my own game. Stuff happened where I didn't work on it at all yesterday and barely did the day before.

Cassiebsg

Ours is coming soon, please don't close it. I just got the last sprites and now need to adjust a few coords...  :)

VampireWombat

Somewhat ditto for me.
I think I have everything more or less finished. But I'm having trouble with some walkable areas...

VampireWombat

I present:
https://vampirewombat.itch.io/research-reservations

[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/DNlo.png[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/DKyT.png[/imgzoom]

Some of the buttons are picky where you click at times. Custom actions built over the BASS template. So there may be some times when the action remains. Just right click to get rid of it.
Left click to interact and right click to examine.

Cassiebsg

Birdy Birdy
A game by Sandra T. Almeida
Graphics by Kastchey & Music by Ibispi

DB entry: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2366/
Direct link to the game: http://www.mediafire.com/file/38pzzzys4hqzkac/BirdyBirdy.zip/file

I'm having a bit of trouble getting a screenshot on this pc, so I'll update this thread as soon as I managed to grab the images and add the game to the database...

Edit: Hope I haven't forgotten anything.  :-D

Cassiebsg

Okay, played a bit both other entries, and have a couple questions:

@NuggetSeb:
Spoiler

- How to save the game?

- I've been eaten twice, is there a way to get past by the fox?
- I don't like the need to confirm changing rooms.  :-\
- Don't like the "Game Over" quiting the game, specially if there are other endings than the one I've got and no save... yet the main menu suggests continuing.

- Not all is negative though, the game has a lot of charm  (nod)  :-D and those are really nitpicking issues.   ;)
[close]

@VW
Spoiler

- I seem to have gotten stuck on a room with a door and keypad. I can't seem to return to the hallways where I came from, nor do anything. Is this a bug or me just being thick headed? (after getting the keycard, I went thru the northern passage...)

EDIT: Okay, the above seems be a "bug"... the keycard gets used but stays on inventory, giving the impression that nothing happens.

EDIT2: Have now finished this little game. Nice entry, I enjoyed having 2 cute characters to play with. Ending was a bit abrupt though... Could use a bit of polishing though.
[close]

NuggetSeb

@Cassiebsg

Spoiler
I can answer a few of those questions for you, as I did the coding part of it!
1) You can save the game by having the invnetory bar pop up and clicking the power button of sorts on the upper right hand side. That way you can save your game and come back to it!
2) For both your other two concerns, I'll be honest I don't know what I'm doing. I've NEVER coded anything before and this was my first time doing so! I did a lot of reasearch and couldn't figure out a lot of things ^^' The room confirmation is there since when I was running it I kept accidentally switching rooms and I added the confirmation for the fact I didn't like leaving randomly when I was testing it.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and I'm glad you liked the charm of it!
[close]

Stupot

Well done for the entries guys. I need a spare minute to rig up the voting but the entries period is now officially closed.

Cassiebsg

Okay then, so one needs to use the quit button to save.

Take all criticism as feedback to improve on the next game or "polish" this one pos-MAGS, if you are so inclined to do.   ;) (nod)

VampireWombat

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 05/08/2019 02:01:40
Spoiler
Glad you figured it out. I probably should have removed the keycard from the inventory, but I didn't think about it at the time. I did plan to have the outside of the university for the ending, but ran out of time. But considering there were several times yesterday I didn't think I'd even get as much as I did done...
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 04/08/2019 23:36:46
Birdy Birdy
A game by Sandra T. Almeida
Graphics by Kastchey & Music by Ibispi

DB entry: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2366/
Direct link to the game: http://www.mediafire.com/file/38pzzzys4hqzkac/BirdyBirdy.zip/file

I am up to
Spoiler
he needs to wash the sh*t out of his hair and he says "I'll put the bracelet here". But I don't see where he's putting it or any way to grab it from there....
[close]
Thank you

Cassiebsg

Yes, sorry the graphic is a bit small, and I didn't had time to improve it.
Spoiler

It's on the fountain. on the middle "ring". Look for a little blue thing. (or move the mouse slowly until the text shows "Bracelet")
I'll play it another time just to make sure it's there, and that the water isn't in the way.

Edit: Just tested it and the water isn't blocking it. It's on the second "ring" from the top, on the left half of it. More or less in the middle of the left side.
If you still can't find it I can probably get a screen shot and circle it.
Sorry again. I only got the last graphics, including that one a few hours before the deadline, so I didn't managed to improve the click area and make the object more visible. The inventory graphic is bigger, but very ugly (my fault, as I had barely just enough time to pick that little tiny object and scale it up  :-[ ).
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 05/08/2019 17:00:37
Yes, sorry the graphic is a bit small, and I didn't had time to improve it.
Spoiler

It's on the fountain. on the middle "ring". Look for a little blue thing. (or move the mouse slowly until the text shows "Bracelet")
I'll play it another time just to make sure it's there, and that the water isn't in the way.

Edit: Just tested it and the water isn't blocking it. It's on the second "ring" from the top, on the left half of it. More or less in the middle of the left side.
If you still can't find it I can probably get a screen shot and circle it.
Sorry again. I only got the last graphics, including that one a few hours before the deadline, so I didn't managed to improve the click area and make the object more visible. The inventory graphic is bigger, but very ugly (my fault, as I had barely just enough time to pick that little tiny object and scale it up  :-[ ).
[close]

Goodness, I'm glad I asked. I would never have seen it! What a sweet game with a "redemption" theme too!

Cassiebsg

Linux version for my game is now available.  (nod)

Cassiebsg

Is it just me, or the voting is still missing?

Anyway, since I now have played and finished both games, I'll give feedback now. 

Hopping Homeward
Spoiler

Very sweet game, with nice puzzles and great graphics and story.  (nod)
I do however find the that it's borderline to the theme, since animals don't talk nor do they make potions in cauldrons (unless I belong to the non-enlightened ones  ;) ).
But besides that and the small points I mentioned above, it's a great game and you should be proud of it.  (nod)
[/Hide

Research Reservations
Spoiler

I loved this game, nice little puzzles and the animals act like animals.  (nod)
A little bit of polish on the interactions and I wouldn't be in doubt which game I vote for.
[close]

And my vote goes to:
Spoiler

Haven't actually decided which one. I love both and both have their strong sides and their weak sides...
Guess I have some extra time to decide, since the poll is still not up.  ;)
[close]

EDIT: And I ended voting for:
Spoiler

You!  (laugh) Just kiding...

Research reservations by VW. Was a close call, but I enjoyed the way he took the theme and didn't make the animals talk. Also, 2 player characters are a plus.  ;) I would definitely encourage you to skip a MAGS or two and polish this game.  (nod)
[close]
[close]

Stupot

Voting is now open. Sorry for the delay. Please vote using the poll above.

Hopping Homeward
by NuggetSeb

Research Reservations
by VampireWombat

Birdy Birdy
by Cassiebsg, Kastchey, Ibispi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk