AGS WEREWOLF GAME 5 (Phase: End)

Started by Sinitrena, Mon 08/07/2019 17:46:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Heyho, fellow AGS members and willing participants in the most murderous game of these forums, the fifth instalment of the AGS Werewolf Game.

If you're not familiar with the game yet, have fun reading a rather long post. If you already played, you may skip to the end of his post where I summarize changes from the last games.

So, what is the AGS Werewolf Game:

Werewolf or Mafia is a psychological game of mistrust and subterfuge where one side (“Good”) tries to figure out who belongs to the other (“Evil” or “Scum”) and murders them one after the other.

How to play:

At the beginning of the game, every player is assigned a role that might or might not have special abilities and their goal is to lead their team to victory, without knowing who actually belongs to their team.

The game can end in two ways:
The Good Side wins when all Evil players are dead.
The Evil Side wins when it is no longer possible to get a majority lynch vote against them.
There are special situations possible for both of these general conditions where there might not be a logical way left for one side or the other to win, despite the conditions not being met yet. In these cases, the game just runs its course until the condition is met. Giving up or trying to stir players in certain directions is always allowed, even if this runs against the supposed goals of a role.

The game is played in two alternating phases:

Day Phase:

During the Day Phase every player is awake and able and allowed to post for discussion and lynching in this thread.
This thread is closed for all non-players and players who are killed are no longer allowed to post here either.
Lynch-votes need to be bolded. None bolded votes will be ignored.
Votes are not final until the Day Phase ends and can be changed until the last second. They can also be completely taken back (in that case, please bold none in your posts to make this absolutely clear.)
It is never, under any circumstances allowed to edit posts, not even for typos or to add something before someone else posts. (Yes, double posts are allowed.)

The Day Phase will be about 48 hours and end in a time frame of three hours.

During these three hours, the host may close the phase at any point but if the host runs late for any reason, players are not allowed to post after the end of the three hour time frame. (Basically, the night phase begins at the end of this time frame (even if the host is running late) or earlier.)

Day Phases may end suddenly at any point during the provided three hour time frame so get those votes in while you can. Remember that they can always be changed later if you are in time!

Once the Day Phase has ended the Lynching takes place if a majority vote on a single player has been reached.

If a majority vote has not been reached then no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

Tied votes for the player to be lynched result in a stalemate and no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

It is not a requirement that the a player is lynched every Day Phase.
A lynched player's role is revealed after their death (with the exception of the Traitor (see below), who will be revealed as a Murderer (this role is deep undercover.))

A lynched player may no longer post in this thread. Every player is allowed to keep a „journal“ that the other players „find“ when they are killed. Every player is allowed to send a PM to the GM every Phase (Day and Night) with information he or she wants revealed in case of his/her death. The information does not have to be accurate or true. The GM will not censor this in any way or form. I will only look at the last PM from any killed player that has „Journal“ in the title. Please keep such PM‘s short and remember that I need them before the player is killed because the reveal of the journal happens at the same time as the reveal of the death. The only exception to all this is that a Psychic‘s last scan will be added by the GM to the last words should the Psychic be killed in a Night Phase.

Night Phase:

During Night Phase most of the Players are asleep and nobody may post in the game thread.

It is now time for all players with Night Phase abilities to PM their choices to the GM:

The Psychic should PM the name of the player they are scanning this night.

The Doctor should PM the name of the player they are protecting this night, if any.

The Murderers should send their kill votes to the GM, after discussing it with the other members of their team, and cc their the other Murderers.

Night Phase will last about 24 hours.

It is legal to PM the game host with your night action before the Night Phase starts if, for any reason, you cannot maybe be active during the next Night Phase.

Do not send more than one PM with your activities to the host. The first one sent is the action that will take place. (Except for the Journal-PM‘s where the last one sent is the one used.)

At the end of the Night Phase the game host will send out PMs to players who did private night actions such as scanning with the results. These PM‘s go out at about the same time as the wrap-up post for the Phase goes out.

Then the game host will open the next Day Phase, starting with a report on any casualties which may have occurred during the night.

Any players killed during the Night Phase must immediately follow the same rules as lynched players (see above): They may no longer post in this thread and their last words should already be out.

If, at any point, the Evil Side equal or outnumbers the other players they win the game as there is no way for the other players to gain a majority vote against them for lynching choices.

General other important rules:

• Never edit your posts. If you need to change anything, then double post. This is explicitly allowed while the game is active.
  • Do not show screenshots of PMs from the GM or something similar. Do not use actual evidence (so to speak) from the GM. All communication with the GM should not be part of the actual gameplay.
  • Evil Players should always consult with their team. Situations might arise where it is necessary from a game point of view to throw people of your own side under the bus. Discuss things like this as much as possible beforehand. This is to avoid resentments from building up.
  • Communications outside of this thread are not only allowed but encouraged. Especially for the Evil Side they are necessary. But remember that killed players are immediately out of the game and may not talk about the game with active players any longer.
  • Lying, tricking and deceiving are part of this game. Remember that it is just a game though and everything said during the game is not to be taken as personal attacks. We are all adults here and it is important to differentiate between the game and real (forum) life.
  • First time players: You might not realize how stressful this game can be. Do not underestimate the way it will get to you. It will be nerve-racking.

Possible Roles:

Let me introduce you to some roles players can play in this game. How many of each one there will be and if all are used depends strongly on the number of players.

Good Side:

Normal Population:
Ability: None
Description: The most geniric role in this game with no special abilities and no special job except finding the bad guys. This is the role most people will play.
Goal: Uncover who belongs to the Evil Side. Members of the General Population have the right to vote every day for the person to lynch and hopefully for them to eliminate players of the Evil Side that way. Members of the Population can win the game even if they themselves get killed, so as a member you might consider sacrifices for the greater good (for example, a more important Good Side Role).

Psychic:
Ability: Scan another player‘s role once every Night Phase
Description: The Psychic is the main asset of the Good Side, as he or she is the one to have the best chance to uncover members of the Evil Side. The Psychic can scan players once every Night Phase by sending a PM to the Game Master (GM, that would be me) and receiving the role (and nothing else) as an answer.
Goal: The Psychic‘s goal is to eliminate all players of the Evil Side by scanning them and then convincing the other players to lynch them. The physic is allowed to vote for lynchings him-/herself too, of course. The Physic should seek to keep his/her role secret, as he/she is a likely target for murders by the Evil Side. The rest of the Good Side should also try to protect the Psychic as much as possible. The Psychic wins with the Good Side even if he/she is dead when all Evil players are eliminated.

Doctor:
Ability: Protect one player every Night Phase, including him-/herself, but not the same player twice in a row.
Description: The Doctor sends the GM the name of one player each Night Phase to protect. A protected player cannot be killed by the Evil Side in this Night Phase. If a player is protected, nobody receives any further information than that nobody was killed in the next Day Phase.
Goal: The Doctor seeks to protect his own side, including him-/herself but especially the Psychic as the main player to figure out the alignment of other players. The Doctor is the main line of defence (except for subterfuge) for the Good Side.

Traitor:
Ability: Lives among the Evil Side and knows them. Basically, an undercover cop (which is the name this role has in most games.)
Description: The traitor works undercover with the Evil Side, being allowed to vote on who they want to kill during the Night Phase but secretly seeks to stir the Good Side towards lynching his or her supposed allies of the Evil Side. As this person is deep undercover, a scan by the Psychic would reveal him or her as Evil aligned. (Can you see that I want to confuse you all as much as possible ?;))
Goal: The Traitor is ultimately on the Good Side and therefore wins with the same conditions as all other Good aligned characters, but counts towards the Evil Side on all other occasions. (An example: A Night Phase ends with 1 Murderer, 1 Traitor and 2 General Population alive â€" the game would count as lost for the Good Side!)
(Using the Traitor would make it necessary to change the format of the GM's communication with the Murderers as the use of one Alpha would reveal additional information. As I might not say if we have a traitor in this round, there will be no Alpha role all. Kill orders will need to be send to me by every member oft the Murderers as well as to every member of their own team. It means a bit more work, but that shouldn't be a problem.)

Evil Side:

The players of the Evil Side know who the other members of their team are (while the Good Side has no such information about their own team). They will receive this information by PM alongside their own roles once they are chosen. It is recommended, and expected, that the Evil Side players communicate with each other outside this forum thread.

Murderer:
Ability: Participate in one kill during each Night Phase; knows all other players of the Evil Side.
Description: The Murderer decides on one person to kill each Night Phase, along with the other murderers.
Goal: The Murderer‘s goal is it to reduce the Good Side so that no majority lynch vote against the Evil Side is possible any longer, at which point the Evil Side would be able to pick the Good Side of one by one and the Evil Side has won. The Murderer should try to appear non-threatening and as innocent as possible, with the goal that Good Side players get lynched. Should the Traitor role be used, it should be noted that a majority kill vote against a member of the Murderers is possible.

Changes from the last rounds:

• a Psychic's last scan will automatically be added to their last words by the GM in case they get killed during the Night, as was discussed after the last game.
  • added the Traitor role (see above for details) which leads to changes in the way the Murderers communicate their orders to the GM:
    • there is no longer a Leader/Alpha role
    • discussions as to who to kill should still be just among the Murderers
    • but the final decision needs to be send to the GM by every Murderer individually. Also, these kill-votes needs to be also send to the other members of their team (cc) so that there is no confusion with that

Several people hinted or outright asked in out-of-character discussions to play a round without knowing what the used roles actually are. So far, I always told you that we had 1 Psychic and 1 Doctor and 2 General Population and so on. I'd love to play a round where you don't know this and you don't even know if I used all roles described above. I need a minimum of 10 players (12 or more would be better) for such a round, due to the fact that otherwise there is not enough variation as to what roles I can assign (there have to be at least 2 Murderers, because otherwise their ability is gone, there should be more people on the Good side than the Evil side and so on).

I'd really like to use the Traitor role, but I don't think it would work with roles “pre-revealed”. I would also like to add even more possible roles for a game with secret roles, just so that it is more difficult to figure out who is who and what roles even play. So, if you feel like it, write up a couple roles that could be used.

Also, like I did for the last round, I did not provide a setting yet and am open to suggestions again.

Final questions:

• Who wants to play? Register now.
  • What setting would you like?
  • Would you like a full role-playing game, a mixed one (that's what we had all previous rounds) or a purely tactical game (which might make it easier if we really keep it secret which roles are involved)?
  • Are there other roles you would like to see?
  • Will we play a secret round (I don't tell you which roles are used) or a pre-revealed one (as in the rounds before, you will know how many players are playing each role)? (A secret round requires ten or more players, I'd say.)

I hope I got everything, if not, just ask.

I think I'll keep registration open for a week or so, just so we have something like a schedule for this game and don't wait forever hoping for more people to register.

VampireWombat

Sure, why not?
As for all the questions, whatever is fine...

Mandle

Riaise

Count me in again! ;-D

I like the sound of a secret round. I hope there'll be enough players to do that. As for the setting, maybe something like a Jack-the-Ripper-esque Victorian London?

I'm trying to get my head around the traitor role. So, the traitor is on the Evil team, but is actually playing for the good side without anyone else knowing? Is that right?

Sinitrena

Jack the Ripper London? That might work, sure. I considered something a lot stranger, viruses against vaccines, for example, but that might turn out too strange. I'll go with whatver you all chose. I just wanted to let you know that it doesn't have to be human characters or even lifeforms. I'm currently binge-watching "The Americans" so I wouldn't be opposed to a nice little spy-thriller either.

Quote from: Riaise on Tue 09/07/2019 15:11:13
I'm trying to get my head around the traitor role. So, the traitor is on the Evil team, but is actually playing for the good side without anyone else knowing? Is that right?

That's the idea, yes. I'm not sure how good it would work. I never do before we actually try it out. Especially the "counting as Evil when it comes to win conditions" might not work out too well.
Technically, the Traitor is an information gatherer for the Good Side like the Psychic, but stronger because he knows all Evil aligned people immediately and at the same time weaker because he is counted in all other aspects for the Evil Side himself.

I'd also like to add more roles to the roster, especially if we do a secret round, so that it becomes part of the game to figure out which roles are actually playing. With the rather small number of roles we have right now, the setup would be easy to guess (and easier the less players we have). I would love to make the role setup random as well, but I think I need to keep control of this aspect.

Riaise

Oh, spies could be good. The traitor role would fit well with a theme like that.

Riaise

Sinitrena

That looks bad. There's no way to play a werewolf game with just three players. Let's hope for some last minute sign-ups.

Stupot

You May or may not have noticed my absence here and in the previous game. I just found the last couple of games quite hard to keep on top of and keeping up with all the possibilities and permutations is really hard without more time to sit down and think things through undistracted.

That said, I'll give it another go. Sign me up.

Sinitrena

I tried to wrap my head around a way to play with four people but I'm really not sure it would be fun. I'll start the game on Saturday, no matter what, and I'm not going to tell you how I set up the roles with just four players. It will be a short game, obviously. I'd love some last minute registrations (really last minute now). If no more players show up, the setting will be Riase's suggested Jack-the-Ripper-esque world (for a Spy story I'd need a bit more people) and it will be light on the role-playing aspect, simply because there won't be much time to "create" characters.

So that's the plan:
- game starts on Saturday (20. July) with a Day Phase
- secret game (you will not know the role setup; though logical thinking will tell you some things that are just necessary with so few players)
- mixed (role-playing and tactical)
- setting: Jack the Ripper

You can always disagree and I'll try to listen to you.

josiah1221

I wasn't planning on joining this round. Due to my schedule and time differences I tend to always be the last one to respond during the day phase conversations, which makes it look like I'm playing a strategy when in actuality I'm just late to the game. BUT, this secret aspect has me intrigued so I think I will give it a go regardless. :)

Mandle

Riaise

Sinitrena

Blue Cup Harold

20. July 1889

New Developments in the Adventurer‘s Murders Case
from our correspondent WoF

The shocking case of the Adventurer‘s Murderer, that has hold our town in its grip for the last four weeks, may be close to a resolution, we learned from a knowledgeable source in the police department.

With one victim every third day in four weeks and another found just last night, the body count has reach double digits. The gruesome murders, all styled like stations in a scavenger hunt, have left countless families and friends screaming for justice in the streets.

So far, the performance by the local police force seemed rather unsuccessful and people even started to doubt they were actually working on the case. Constant rumours that the police themselves was somehow involved in the case could not be stopped, neither by cracking down on organized crime, nor by futile attempts to keep the public informed. We cannot deny, that we here at the Blue Cup Harold did not feel as informed as would be appropriate.

Therefore, our correspondent decided to seek unofficial sources to keep our readers informed and now we can tell you, that the police has, with reasonable certainty, narrowed down a list of suspects to just five people. Our source was not forthcoming as to the reason, but it seems that the list of potential perpetrators is also the list of potential next victims. We therefore see it as our duty, despite the insistence to the contrary from the police, to tell you the names of these people: VampireWombat, Mandle, Riaise, Stupot, josiah1225. Unfortunately, it was not possible to get further information on these individuals before our printing time, but we assure you that our reporters are hard at work and will have information ready for our next edition.

Please remember that the warnings of the police still apply for all inhabitants of Blue Cup: keep vigilant and do not get involved in activities that could reasonably be described as Adventure Games until the murders are solved.

-------------------------

As agreed, I will not tell you which roles are used in this round and therefore I cannot tell you when the game might end in any given round. So the game might end suddenly.

I can tell you that the following people play:

VampireWombat
Mandle
Riaise
Stupot
josiah1221

The first Day Phase starts now. You can discuss, argue and lynch. Remember to bold your lynch votes.

You can also send Last Words to me if you have anything to say.

Day Phase ends on Monday between 5 and 8 pm (forum time).

Let's go!

VampireWombat

Alright, can we just save everyone a bit of time and the murderer just confess so the rest of us can move on with our lives? I have a wife and 6 kids to feed.

josiah1221

Obviously there has been a mistake. I am josiah1221 not josiah1225. I shouldn't be here, a case of mistaken identity! Who is responsible for this? I want answers!

VampireWombat

Okay. Here's 3 answers. Good luck figuring out the questions. Twelve, goat, and Friday.

Mandle

Quote from: josiah1221 on Sat 20/07/2019 21:50:03
Obviously there has been a mistake. I am josiah1221 not josiah1225. I shouldn't be here, a case of mistaken identity! Who is responsible for this? I want answers!

Maybe a bug fell into the printer as it was creating the list of suspects and caused the error. It's happened before but once the list starts its way through the bureaucracy it's extremely hard, if not impossible, to correct. I'm afraid you're stuck here.

Riaise

Hang on, are we just sitting 'ere waiting for the murderer to confess? 'Cause that don't seem likely. And who's to say there ain't more than one of 'em? I mean, I'm a clever gal, I know it ain't likely given there's so few of us, but you never know, right?

VampireWombat

I have no idea anything really. I just know that people are dead and all of us are suspects. Since I don't recognize any of you, I'd say it's safe to say I'm not working with any of you for anything. And it's been 6 years since I've been blackout drunk, so it's not like that could be used as an excuse.
All of you can confess as far as I'm concerned. All I want is to get back to my wife and kids before they resort to eating rats.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk