acsprset.spr size

Started by greg, Thu 11/07/2019 02:18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Hi, I was wondering how the size of acsprset.spr is determined.

Context: My acsprset.spr file is currently at 1.7 GB (with compression enabled in AGS), which is uncomfortably close to the 2 GB limit*.  To nudge the file size down, I compressed the source pngs for many sprites (via pngquant) and then reimported them into AGS (via "Replace sprite(s) from source...").  The total size of the source pngs decreased by 20 MB.  However, the size of acsprset.spr didn't change at all.

From https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53949.msg636543911#msg636543911, I understand that AGS converts the pngs to bmp upon import.  Since the size of acsprset.spr didn't change after I compressed the source pngs, does that mean whether a png is compressed or not, its bmp will be the same size?

Possibly related: if I add or remove a sprite and save the game, AGS takes ~10 seconds to save.  However, when I reimported ~200 sprites (via "Replace sprite(s) from source..."), AGS saved as quickly as it does when I haven't modified any sprites at all.  Could this mean the source sprites aren't getting reimported successfully?  I'm using AGS 3.4.3.1.

Thanks!
Greg

* - I know that AGS 3.5 removes the 2 GB limit, so this will become moot soon.

eri0o

Importing Sprites is really fast, so they are probably getting imported fine. For the 10 seconds, I guess you are not using an SSD, so I/O operations just have to take their time.

BMP is just a map where each pixel is represented in a matrix, a number of times for the number of channels. There is no compression. So unless your png changed size in pixels, the converted bmp will have the same size in bytes.

greg

> So unless your png changed size in pixels, the converted bmp will have the same size in bytes.

Got it, thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk