The Quick Questions Thread

Started by Laura Hunt, Thu 11/07/2019 14:03:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Hunt

Quote from: morganw on Mon 22/07/2019 17:38:14
I don't think there is. Maybe this is because this editor component doesn't support line numbers (or doesn't support them without also enabling breakpoint controls - perhaps this is a separate problem), or just because no-one ever turned the line numbers on. Dialog scripts preserve leading and trailing whitespace, but maybe when dialog commands are substitued for actual script commands there is a risk of line numbers changing.

I see. So it could even be the case that the line number that the compiler is returning in the error message isn't even the actual line number that I would get if I counted down by hand in the dialog editor, but the line number post-compilation (once everything has been converted into script commands)?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: notarobotyet on Mon 22/07/2019 17:49:53
I see. So it could even be the case that the line number that the compiler is returning in the error message isn't even the actual line number that I would get if I counted down by hand in the dialog editor, but the line number post-compilation (once everything has been converted into script commands)?

This is how it is, although IIRC dialog commands are simple and should normally take only 1 line.

Snarky

This is not my board to moderate, but I feel I have to say that I don't think this type of thread is such a good idea. Is it really that much more difficult to start a new thread for each question?

Laura Hunt

Sure, in the end it's the moderators' call, of course. I already explained that I feel that sometimes opening a whole new thread for a quick, silly question doesn't feel appropriate (to me at least), but if moderators don't like the idea of this thread existing, feel free to nuke it or whatever!

Danvzare

Quote from: notarobotyet on Tue 23/07/2019 09:07:01
Sure, in the end it's the moderators' call, of course. I already explained that I feel that sometimes opening a whole new thread for a quick, silly question doesn't feel appropriate (to me at least), but if moderators don't like the idea of this thread existing, feel free to nuke it or whatever!
Of course it doesn't feel appropriate. That's why there's a search function.  :-D
Every single question you could ever ask (especially the quick and silly ones), has already been asked at least twice already (usually more). It's only a matter of searching for it. Unless you're too lazy or frustrated to search for it, like I was once.  :-[

Crimson Wizard

Imho for what is worth such thread indicates that manual misses a good FAQ, and maybe needs more/better explanations in some topics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk