Audio conflict with Xbox windows client. Help!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Fri 12/07/2019 23:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Howdy folks! Long time no see.

So Unavowed is slated to join the Xbox Windows gamepass service. We had a devil of a time getting their client to recognize it. There's only one hurdle we are trying to overcome.

The game launches with the error message: "Unable to initialize your audio hardware. [Problem: ]"
Usually when I see this error, an actual problem is listed but this one is blank.

When we press "okay" to click through the error window , the game starts up perfectly normally with all the sound intact.

I tried playing around with the audio settings (setting it to Default Waveout, etc) but the same thing happens.

The game was compiled using AGS version 3.4.1.14, and is being run from within their Xbox-for-windows client, which has layers upon layers of security and things on it. I'm sure these security measures are conflicting somehow, but I'm not sure what sort of questions I should ask my rep there. Any ideas of where to start troubleshooting? Or is there a way to suppress the error message since the game plays normally anyway?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Gilbert

Course I solve the problem five minutes after I post about it. On a whim I disabled MIDI sound devices and now it works. :)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 12/07/2019 23:13:24
Course I solve the problem five minutes after I post about it. On a whim I disabled MIDI sound devices and now it works. :)

Yes, that's correct. I also improved error message by fixing empty "problem" and added this tip to disable particular sound type to make it skip in AGS 3.4.3 update.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk