The Castle

Started by Carles, Thu 18/07/2019 12:32:20

Previous topic - Next topic

AnaMoon

Quote from: Carles on Wed 24/07/2019 19:22:37
Updated to a new version that corrects the problems of apostrophes in the English translation.
In the Spanish version I'm finding some spelling mistakes too. By the way, I'm new here so I don't know if I can link my youtube gameplay to help you reaching out more players.

Carles

AnaMoon, for me there is no problem in linking the gameplay.

In the latest version, some errors have also been corrected in the Spanish text, but if you find any new ones, you can send me an email.

Thank you!

Mandle

Quote from: Carles on Wed 24/07/2019 19:22:37
Updated to a new version that corrects the problems of apostrophes in the English translation.

With a little more work on the English translation by a native speaker you have a sellable game! I'd say people would gladly pay $5-$10 for a game of this quality.

marinagf37

I did most of the endings, and I had a lot of fun. I really recommend trying to achieve all of the different endings because some of them are really funny and unexpected. :wink:

xtrex

this graphic adventure is amazing because it has many endings and each of them very different.
despite the difficulty it is very fun to play. Although there are some endings that are easier than others.
congratulations !!!!

FireFlower

Looks old school and cool.  8-)
Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

Durq

Is this game going to be commercial now? Is someone fixing the English translation first?

Athanor

Just wanted to download the new version and was sent to the new Steam page. While I would absolutely support this game financially with some of my hard earned coppers, I'd suggest to offer the game DRM-free. Will the Steam-version be free of further DRM (can I start the game without the client running)? Or even better: Will the game be offered on itch.io too?

Carles

Hi Durq, Athanor,

Yes, that is. And I think those who have followed the previous releases at AGS deserve an explanation. The castle will be officially launched on Steam on August 26. The reason to hang it there is to protect the game and its authorship. In the latest updates, the apostrophe errors and the potions texts in the English version have already been corrected. The rest of new versions and improvements will be hanging by this platform. The game will be sold at a very low price to pay the costs of uploading it to the platform and the headaches that some days have taken me during its development.

I hope that people who have already been able to play it in AGS understand the reason for launching it on another platform.

I can only truly thank people for their interest in the game and positive reception. I will continue working on some improvements and thanks for the support. :)

Athanor

Thank you for your reply @Carles. I say it again: I'd be glad to pay money to such a fine made game. :) Alas my main concern is still the question about Steamworks-DRM: Will you implement it - or do you use Steam simply as a distribution platform (that's the way many independent developers go - thankfully)?

Carles

Hi Athanor,

I have not implemented anything about the DRM in the application upload in Steamworks. I do not want to annoy the players. Before a developer, I am also a player.

If there is any problem write me.

Athanor

Quote from: Carles on Thu 08/08/2019 11:43:54
Hi Athanor,

I have not implemented anything about the DRM in the application upload in Steamworks. I do not want to annoy the players. Before a developer, I am also a player.

If there is any problem write me.
That's just wonderful, exactly what I wanted to hear. ;) Then count me in! :)
By the way: I find the title a little bit too unobtrusive and would recommend to add something to it ("The Castle [of something]"), just to make it clearly distinct from other games on the plaftorm. The reason is because when I enter "the Castle" in Steam, there is a giant amount of games popping up and your game appears only on the second page. But that's just my two cents. Anyway, I wish you godspeed and look forward to the 26th!

Carles

You are right that maybe the title is a bit discreet. When I put it on I didn't think about all this .. Change it now I think it could create confusion.  :(

I hope that thanks to your visits it will go up to the first page of Steam.  ;)

Athanor

I don't think it would create much confusion. But you could also only add a subtitle, like "The Castle: Night of Blood" (incredibly cheesy and stupid example, but I'm not very creative ;) ). Thus the main title "The Castle" would stay while the game's name as a whole would be more distinct.

Carles

Thanks Athanor for the help. I will think about it and if I see it feasible I will do it.

As soon as I can I will also finish the walkthrough to leave it as complete as possible.

Nor Treblig

Hi Carles!
I've found your game thanks to Seguso and the blog of Ana Moon.
I really love the EGA-look of the game and that it's very much like Maniac Mansion!

Will you release the game on something like itch.io for people who don't want to use Steam (like me)?
itch.io is easy to use for creators and you set a minimum price, i.e. I can pay you even more for the game :-)

---
Btw. I agree with Athanor to add something like a subtitle to the main title. Or what about "Maniac Castle" :D

Searching for the castle on Steam finds all kind of other stuff (default sort is by "Relevance").
Even searching for "the castle" only shows the game on 10th place.
Adding something to make it more unique and searchable sounds like a good idea.

Carles

Hi Nor Treblig,

Many people are asking me to hang it on itch.io, so I will surely try to upload it in the next few days.

About changing the game title, I was analyzing this idea, but it is a bit complicated to make this change now since it is everywhere like "The Castle". It would give many problems to change the title or add a subtitle. Before on Steam it appeared on the second page, now it already appears on the first :)

Thanks for your advice, the game has good reviews. I just hope more people enjoy it.

Nor Treblig

Quote from: Carles on Tue 27/08/2019 08:39:10
Many people are asking me to hang it on itch.io, so I will surely try to upload it in the next few days.
That would be great!

About the title: Yeah I guess it's too late now.
It's a hit and miss. Searching for the castle steam works well on Google (2nd result).
Searching for the castle video game on Google finds all kind of other old and new games with similar titles.

ZakMcKracken

Hello,

I just came here to congratulate to the author of The Castle.
I'm playing it, it really brings back memories to the first Maniac Mansion, you did a good job.

I think your game will become more popular than you can imagine. Am I wrong, dear Nor Treblig? ;-)

SEE YA!

Carles

Many thanks!

I appreciate your messages. I am very happy that people enjoy the game.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk