GNRBLEX - Final version [Price 0.00 $]

Started by WHAM, Fri 26/07/2019 07:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Do you have what it takes to save the Gnrblexian mind-maggot from total extinction?
DOWNLOAD HERE

Take on the challenge and preserve both the species, and humanity's fragile sense of self-worth, in this retro-inspired point and click adventure game.

Features:
- Traditional point'n'click game-play
- Retro-inspired visuals and art
- New, original soundtrack by http://jothmusic.com/
- Full voice acting by four talented voice actors
- A dark sense of humor
- Math!
- Extra wriggling

(Game originally released in 2016 as part of the "Monthly AGS" -competition on the Adventure Game Studios -forums. This old version lacked the full soundtrack, voice acting, and some puzzles, and used older, cruder graphics.)

(Below: comparisons between the old and new background visuals)

EDIT 2020:
GNRBLEX is now also available on itch.io. LINK ->.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Durq

This game is fantastic and free! If you've never played it, do it.

morganw

I've just played this and thought it was very good. A very smart design, where you learn something when things go wrong...

Privateer Puddin'

Wonder if it's worth putting free in the topic title - I assumed Steam meant commercial.

WHAM

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Wed 31/07/2019 10:22:38
Wonder if it's worth putting free in the topic title - I assumed Steam meant commercial.

That is actually a good point.

Thanks to everyone for the comments so far, much appreciated!
Spread the word! :)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Frodo

Can you upload it somewhere that's not steam, so we can get DRM-free?

WHAM

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 31/07/2019 11:11:33

Sorry, but no. I wish to keep the game to one distribution platform for now. I'd also have to go in and take the time to re-write the achievement code so those would work in a non-Steam environment again, though admittedly that's a fairly minor bit of work.

Frodo

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 31/07/2019 11:18:02
Quote from: Frodo on Wed 31/07/2019 11:11:33

Sorry, but no. I wish to keep the game to one distribution platform for now. I'd also have to go in and take the time to re-write the achievement code so those would work in a non-Steam environment again, though admittedly that's a fairly minor bit of work.

Not everyone cares about achievements.
And not everyone likes steam-DRM.  It's a shame you're going down that path.  Many of us won't download it because of that reason. 

WHAM

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 31/07/2019 21:53:53
Not everyone cares about achievements.
And not everyone likes steam-DRM.  It's a shame you're going down that path.  Many of us won't download it because of that reason. 

Considering how widespread Steam is nowadays, I can't imagine this limiting the audience too much. I am sorry to hear you'll be skipping the game, however.

Frodo

Why cut off so much of you audience by forcing DRM into the game?  It makes no sense. 

WHAM

Quote from: Frodo on Thu 01/08/2019 17:08:02
Why cut off so much of you audience by forcing DRM into the game?  It makes no sense. 

I doubt I'll lose more than a handful of people at most, all things considered. The reason I wanted to put my game on Steam was the decade-old dream and goal of having my game on that platform, and GNRBLEX fulfilled that goal at last.

Athanor

@WHAM: A quite interesting and beautiful game! I'm also really surprised about the great voice acting! And all for free! Thank you! :)

@Frodo: I know what you mean, but as far as I see it the game is DRM-free as it doesn't need the Steam client to run and your are free to do whatever you want with the game folder after the download. I was a real zelot against Steam for many years, but when I discovered that many games on Steam (especially indie games) don't need the client to run I was really surprised. It's always up to the developer to implement the Steamworks-DRM and fortunately many decide against it, so the game is basically playable on every other computer without any need of the Steam client. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to figure out if a game is infested with Steamworks-DRM or not before getting the game - but if I buy a game and it needs the client to run I simply use my right to get a refund - no questions asked, I get my money back.

eri0o

Steam offers really good tools for developers and it's really supportive of open source. If you don't want to use the client, use this tool -> https://github.com/berenm/steam-cli

WHAM

Odd thing I noticed, wasn't sure where to post so I'll stick it here and hope someone wiser notices: this game doesn't seem to show up in my profile, under the list of games I've worked on, unlike my previous games.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might have done wrong in adding the game to the AGS database?

Frodo

Quote from: Athanor on Thu 01/08/2019 20:50:52

@Frodo: I know what you mean, but as far as I see it the game is DRM-free as it doesn't need the Steam client

The game DOES need the steam client installed on your computer.  You can't even access the game otherwise.
There are so many good DRM-free options out there, so why try to force someone to install an annoying bloatware?

Tabata

I think the information about Steam got a bit mixed up.
So let me try to clarify:
You just need an account on Steam to get access to the download for the game. It is the same like you need an account on GOG and all the other sites that sell games to be able to download their (free) games.
Afaik you don't need to install Steam itself for to use it because you can go there via a usual browser, too.
After you installed the game on your hd you don't need Steam to run it.  8-)

... and btw. Steam has a lot of DRM-free games. In case there is a game that has it, it is noticed in the description - so you can avoid those easily  ;)

happy gaming, GNRBLEX included  :-*

Frodo

GOG and steam and not the same at all, so I'll clarify further. 

Yes, you need an account to use either places.
However, GOG is DRM free.  They give you the game, and that's it.  Away you go.  You don't need anything else. 
But steam forces you to install a useless bloatware client before even allowing you to download a game.  It doesn't allow you to download a game without having steam installed. 

Try just downloading a game from steam without having steam installed on your computer.  You won't get very far. 

Tabata

Quote from: Frodo on Tue 06/08/2019 23:03:41
... Try just downloading a game from steam without having steam installed on your computer.  You won't get very far. 
I finally was able to try it and you are correct  :-[  I was asked for if the Steam client is installed and otherwise it wanted to force me installing it first. (It just works for me because I have it and therefore I can download from a browser without opening it, too.)
Sorry for not recognizing that earlier on my side. Also sorry that you'll miss nice games like this one just because you hate the Steam client that much - but of course the decision is absolutely yours  (nod) :kiss:

Durq

Can you tell us how many downloads this game is getting via Steam? I'm just curious.

Frodo

Quote from: Tabata on Wed 07/08/2019 17:19:29
Also sorry that you'll miss nice games like this one just because you hate the Steam client that much

It's a shame many of us will miss this game because Wham hates DRM-free that much.   :undecided:
It would be so easy to offer Direct Download, Itch.Io, or Humble Bundle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk