GNRBLEX - Final version [Price 0.00 $]

Started by WHAM, Fri 26/07/2019 07:37:25

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Quote from: Frodo on Wed 07/08/2019 22:21:15
It's a shame many of us will miss this game because Wham hates DRM-free that much.   :undecided:
It would be so easy to offer Direct Download, Itch.Io, or Humble Bundle.

By my estimate, releasing on Steam means that you and maybe three other people in the world will miss the game. A reasonable loss, I think.  :grin:

Quote from: Durq on Wed 07/08/2019 21:39:55
Can you tell us how many downloads this game is getting via Steam? I'm just curious.

Thanks to Steam, I actually can.
About 800 people have clicked to add the game to their games libraries, but just under 100 have downloaded AND played the game so far, which seems roughly accurate considering I haven't done any marketing aside from posting here and the Whamgames Facebook page.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Frodo

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 08/08/2019 11:05:08
By my estimate, releasing on Steam means that you and maybe three other people in the world will miss the game. A reasonable loss, I think.  :grin:

And how exactly do you know the number of downloads you've lost for not offering DRM-free? 
Did you just pick a number from the air?
Did you just guess a number because you don't like DRM-free?

WHAM

Quote from: Frodo on Thu 08/08/2019 11:30:31
Did you just pick a number from the air?
Did you just guess a number because you don't like DRM-free?

Well, yeah.
Just like you declared that "many of us will miss this game" because it's on Steam. At this point the confirmed number of people missing the game is 1 (one).
I'd be happy to see some actual statistics on how many people pass on a free game due to Steam as a platform, of course.
Until then all we have to work with are gut feelings and guesses, which work just as well for me as they do for you.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Cassiebsg

I pass a free game if it's on Steam as well.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

I personally have 0 problems with Steam whatsoever. The majority of games I own are on Steam.
And I admit, I'm one of the 700 or so people to have added this game to my library and not downloaded or played it yet.

WHAM

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 08/08/2019 14:21:21
And I admit, I'm one of the 700 or so people to have added this game to my library and not downloaded or played it yet.

Do you feel like you're being judged right now?
Because you are!

My goal for this game is to accumulate 1000 lifetime downloads at some point down the line. If I can reach that, I'll feel the project has been fully worth all the time, effort and money!

VampireWombat

Well, if it helps, I did actually download it since I posted. Sure, I haven't actually played it, but maybe one day...

Good luck with reaching the 1,000 downloads.

Dennis Ploeger

Well... releasing a direct download would have allowed me to provide you with a macOS version. ;)

Anyways, please add a macOS version.

Thaaank you.

Kind regards

Dennis
deep

WHAM

Quote from: Dennis Plöger on Sun 11/08/2019 13:44:29
Well... releasing a direct download would have allowed me to provide you with a macOS version. ;)

Anyways, please add a macOS version.

Thaaank you.

Kind regards

Dennis

Any suggestions on how to make a Mac version? I know Steam has options for uploading one, but I've no idea how to make one since I don't dabble in the Apple machines.

Dennis Ploeger

I have created a precompiled version of AGS 3.4.4, in which you only have to put your game files. But you obviously need a beta tester for that.

Applications on macOS are actually directories with a certain structure. You may have to zip that for distribution.

Kind regards
Dennis
deep

WHAM

Quote from: Dennis Plöger on Sun 11/08/2019 20:38:14
I have created a precompiled version of AGS 3.4.4, in which you only have to put your game files. But you obviously need a beta tester for that.

Applications on macOS are actually directories with a certain structure. You may have to zip that for distribution.

Kind regards
Dennis

I'll look into it over the coming week, see what I can do.

selmiak

make that 3 confirmed people that miss out because of steam. I'd have longplayed it with a version from itch or so...

WHAM

Minor necropost, but for a good cause:

GNRBLEX is now also available on itch.io. LINK ->.

It has all the same content as the Steam version, but will not have the achievement functionality, as that is bound to the Steam API.
Also of note: if you have downloaded the older MAGS version or the Steam version previously, these may attempt to share achievement and save data. Attempting to load an old save may cause a crash if the save is from a sufficiently old version.

However, the full story, puzzles and experience is intact and, as always, free to experience.

Have fun out there, and keep your brains safe!

Jack

That's cool, I'll be downloading.

I don't mind paying for games, I just mind using steam.

Athanor

Personally I don't mind using Steam as long as the game I download there is basically DRM-free (=playable without the shitty client and on every computer I copy it to. I purchase quite some games on Steam but I demand a refund for every single game that's infested with Steamworks DRM. Such games are worthless for me). But I'm glad you offer it on itch.io now. I definitively prefer itch.io over Steam and so others can enjoy the game as well.

milkanannan

Maybe I don’t play enough games, but I’ve never minded Steam. I actually appreciate having all games organised in one place and automatically patched when needed. Plus I appreciate the suggestions I get for additional games based on my ‘liked’ history. I don’t take advantage of the community options (ie chat with other fans of certain games), but that’s a cool bonus, too.

WHAM

Some people are a bit paranoid about Steam. To my knowledge Gnrblex doesn't really seem to have any DRM on it, either. In fact I found the easiest way to put it up on itch.io was to download it from Steam, copy the game files into a new .zip and upload those. I had a friend test it for me and it worked fine, sans the Steam achievements.

Athanor

Quote from: WHAM on Sun 27/09/2020 20:13:41
Some people are a bit paranoid about Steam. To my knowledge Gnrblex doesn't really seem to have any DRM on it, either. In fact I found the easiest way to put it up on itch.io was to download it from Steam, copy the game files into a new .zip and upload those. I had a friend test it for me and it worked fine, sans the Steam achievements.
It's not a question of paranoia, it's about personal principles. But principles can make one blind for facts. I for example detest every kind of DRM and for a very long time I categorically refused to use Steam. But someday I noticed that there are many games on Steam, mostly indie games or older games, that are indeed DRM-free. Now I use Steam and regard it as a simple download platform.

Developers have always the choice to implement Steamworks-DRM, Steam itself doesn't force it on anybody. Your game is indeed DRM-free.

Jack

It's not the DRM, it's the download platform itself which sticks in the craw. The fact that you must install this thing or you can't access your games. That accounts for a lot of what makes DRM unbearable, this encumbrance that comes with to solve a problem that wasn't yours.

A lot of my dislike comes from having really expensive internet. Buying a physical game then being forced to spend more downloading updates than you did on the game is something that sticks with you.

WHAM

Quote from: Jack on Sun 27/09/2020 21:59:30
A lot of my dislike comes from having really expensive internet. Buying a physical game then being forced to spend more downloading updates than you did on the game is something that sticks with you.

Yeah, I can easily understand and agree with that. Then again the modern patch culture has made it possible to fix game-breaking bugs at a rate that simply wasn't there in the past, so every con has a pro and vice versa. I've refused to buy some modern console games for a similar reason: even if i buy a physical copy, I only get a part of the game and have to download the rest online, meaning that if the download server ever dies, my physical copy becomes worthless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk