The World is Weird

Started by Falsely, Fri 26/07/2019 09:01:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Falsely

A Hand-Drawn, Late-Night Puzzler

It's just before midnight, and your clock has stopped moving. You should probably do something about that.

AGS Database Page || GameJolt Page

Features:

• A short (10~20 minutes long) puzzle game
  • Explore a world that doesn't care much for the laws of physics
  • Hand-drawn graphics, right down to the fonts
  • Spy on your neighbors and take their stuff

milkanannan

Looks great! Downloading...

Laura Hunt

The art style caught my eye immediately, so I downloaded it and gave it a try! The art is indeed lovely throughout the whole game, and I loved the drag mechanics and all the little vignettes you can find, a few of which genuinely made me laugh. I think it's a super original game with a very distinctive style that deserves to get a lot of attention.

I did find some annoyances, though: the lack of a volume control (big pet peeve of mine), the apparent lack of apostrophes in the font (seeing things like "its locked" is also a huge "ugh" for me!), some audio crackling, some loops that don't actually loop but end abruptly and just start again, buggy layers of clouds that pass on top of some objects like buildings but below others like windows, and some instances where I would find myself just clicking and dragging on everything just to figure out what I was supposed to do. Actually, I still haven't managed to finish the game and I don't know if it's because I'm missing something or because it bugged out on me. in short, it mostly feels like it hasn't been tested and QA'd thoroughly.

These issues aside, I have to say again that I've really enjoyed it so far (hope I get to see the ending!) and I hope to see more of these in the future! Lovely little game indeed ;-D

Falsely

@Notarobotyet: Thanks a bunch for the feedback! Man, I wish I'd thought to post in the WIP forum back when I first started working on this game. You guys are thorough.

I... have no idea why I didn't think to put a volume slider in. That's embarrassing. I'll add that to my to-do list for the next patch, along with fixing those other audio/visual issues you listed. (I'm still not sure why my font isn't displaying apostrophes, but I'm thinking I might have to bite the bullet and just get a new one. Unless I want to rewrite all the captions to avoid contractions entirely. But that's cheating.)

As for where you get stuck -- I get the feeling I know what happened. A few people have played the game on video since its release, which has made it easier for me to work out which objects & hotspots aren't clearly interactable/blend a little too well into the environment. So, unless you launched a window into space and the game didn't decide to respawn it, it's an art flaw as opposed to a programming one. Accidental pixel hunt segments are also on the chopping block.

Thanks again for your comments, and I'm glad you managed to have some fun with the game! :D

eri0o

About apostrophes check if this link solves for you. If it doesn't, your font may be indeed missing the character. :/

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Falsely on Fri 26/07/2019 15:08:45
@Notarobotyet: Thanks a bunch for the feedback! Man, I wish I'd thought to post in the WIP forum back when I first started working on this game. You guys are thorough.

Hahaha well, most of the jobs I've had in my life have had to do with proofreading and/or QA testing, so finding bugs, mistakes and broken things is literally how I earn a living :-D This does make it ten times as embarrassing when my own games have bugs though!

I'll definitely try to finish the game this weekend without begging for clues. I'll let you know how it goes!

Laura Hunt

Sorry it took me so much longer than expected to give it another try... Things have been crazy busy lately (which is always great news!).

So I started a new run from the beginning, and yeah, I got stuck at exactly the same point (laugh) Spoiler below!

Spoiler
I've gotten to the end of the "woods" set, I'm in a wooden room with a radio, I removed the carpet, I have both batteries, I smashed everything with the axe (even managed to bring down the cloud above). Now I'm just... stuck. I can go back to the roof, but there's nothing new happening. I can't use the batteries or the hammer or anything on the radio. What am I missing?  :)
[close]

EDIT: Nevermind, it just ocurred to me to watch one of the playthroughs that people have linked to on your gamejolt page and I saw that what I was missing was:

Spoiler
I had to move the girl's window away so the guy could sit down and do his taxes or whatever.
[close]

This was SO clever, I have to say, but sooo hard to figure out too.

Anyway, loved it and I'm really looking forward to more stuff from you in the future! And to more people playing it here and sharing their experience ;-D

selmiak

what a nice and unique game! I like it very much, so I recorded a longplay :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TaTHnwpZEU

HanaIndiana

Such interesting art and gameplay, I loved it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk