(PAID) Scripting simple Quest Log

Started by cdavenport, Tue 30/07/2019 15:04:55

Previous topic - Next topic

cdavenport

I'd like to hire AGS scripter to create a simple quest log/notebook which the player can access with a GUI button, which can be updated to help the player keep track of current objectives during game e.g. "I need to find a way to distract the guard." When the objective is completed, the quest log updates again with a check mark indicating they've compelted that task. Similar to the one in Thimbleweed Park.

I'd like it to be very simple to integrate into the game for novices. If you want to build it into a module and release it here for other AGS users that's fine, I'll pay for it if I'm offered a deal that I can afford for the work. I tried doing it myself and it turned out to be a convoluted mess.

Here's the way I would envision it to work, game's GUI buttons appear when the mouse cursor hovers near the top of the screen (inventory, save game, restore, ect.), player clicks "Quest Log" button, a notebook page appears on the screen with a list of game objectives player needs to complete.

The quest's log game objectives should only appear in the list if the player has already encountered the problem in question, to avoid spoilers.

The game is divided into multiple Chapters, so after a Chapter is completed the quest log entries for that Chapter should no longer appear in the list. We don't want quest logs from Chapter One still appearing as completed on the list while the player is doing Chapter Nine.

If anyone is interested in this please PM me with a quote for how much you could do this for in payment.

If you need further clarification on anything feel free to ask. - Thanks!

Working on AGS Editor .NET (Build 3.4.1.15) 640x360.

Slasher

Are you looking at automatic added entries or / and entries you can add yourself?

cdavenport

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 30/07/2019 16:23:44
Are you looking at automatic added entries or / and entries you can add yourself?

They would be automatic, when the player encounters a puzzle/problem in the game something is flagged so it's added to the quest log like "The door is locked, I kneed to find the silver key."

Slasher

This can easily be done.. Not sure about manipulation of text within the text but you can make another entry in relation..

I need key to open door.

LATER ON

*Have key to open door...

Would this suit your idea?

cdavenport

Updating the text in the list-box is similar to what I tried before. I'm not sure why AGS cannot be flagged to print a line of text in a quest log, and then update to have it disappear again after that task is finished. It seems a weird limitation that you cannot erase a line of text in a quest log.

Cassiebsg

Just use a label on a gui, then you have several choices: change the text, turn on/off the label, print "" to it if you want the text clear but not want to bother turning on/of the label.
I'm not sure exactly what your problem is to make this work, though. Guess it depends exactly how you want it to work.

If you only have 1 quest of a time, I would just use one label and print the text to it.
If you can have up 5 quests use 5 labels and change accordingly.
If you want the old resolved quest still visible but marked as done, might require a bit more coding, since I doubt you want to be doing all manually for 100 or more labels, it would not be practical.

Also, it seems that your last post contradicts your original post.

"I need to find a way to distract the guard." When the objective is completed, the quest log updates again with a check mark indicating they've compelted that task.

print a line of text in a quest log, and then update to have it disappear again after that task is finished.

So, two different behaviors.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

You could actually use buttons.

This way would mean more scripting but you can add / change text on buttons..

Cassiebsg

slasher, you can do that on labels as well...  ;)

Slasher

What about if you are using Append?

Cassiebsg

you can append to a label as well.  (nod) You can even click on a label.  ;)
what you can't do is use an image on a label, for that I use a button.

Slasher

Tut...  A label is what I'm talking about.

cdavenport

The dilemma for me is I have thirteen chapters in the game, I can easily imagine having 10-15 "things to do" in the quest log for every chapter, so all that text adds up.

I think it would have to be a situation where each chapter had it's own quest log, instead of stringing them all together in a sequential list (especially if text cannot be turned off again in the list). You wouldn't want the player to have to scroll down through 75 entries to find the current one, but I guess the current one could always be printed on the top line too if that's possible...

If each chapter could have its own quest log, I suppose it would be okay to just change the text from "You need to find the key" to "You've found the key".

I just want it to be simple to integrate into the game, and like I mentioned, I'm willing to pay and also let the scripter release it as a module for others to use. I hate wandering around in adventure games without a clear objective to be thinking about as I play.

Slasher

If you complete Quest 1 and then go on to Quest 2 you can delete all of Quest 1's text to make way for Quest 2  etc

Cassiebsg

Yes, or make it like a book, and move to the next page , which is easier to do than scrolling the text.  ;)
But you have to know exactly how you want the quest log to work. Does not help someone if he/she interprets what you want one way and does it that way, and then you say you say you wanted it to be done some other way.

For instance, doing "pages", is easier than scrolling the text. Erasing the text and start fresh requires another way of doing it, unlike if you want to access the previous pages of your log  (since this requires storing the text and dealing with changing pages)...

So decide exactly what you want and how the log should behave. Doesn't matter if you think it's hard to code or easy. Let the eventual coder know exactly what you want and how.  ;)

Wolfina

Is this still open? I'd be able to code something like that if you still need.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk