MAGS August “Huts or Hats” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/08/2019 00:59:02

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September?

Mr Bear Teaches English
6 (60%)
Mystery Meat Mayhem
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Tue 17/09/2019 01:27:55

Flugeldufel

After spending so much time making a full length game, it's now time for a break and a little distraction.
Low Resolution, many hats, maybe some huts and a pirate-ish setting. The first background is drawn, so are some animations.
Let's see, but I think you can count me in.  :)

VampireWombat

Only 2 weeks to go. How's everyone doing?

Tomorrow or Monday I should have parts for Massimo and Twitch finished enough to import into Spriter Pro to do walking animations. I have 2 backgrounds mostly finished (might add some details later). I also have the base programming and graphics for a cellphone gui completed. But I still only have a vaguely idea for the main storyline...

Flugeldufel

Two backgrounds are (mostly) finished, three to go... Walking animations for the player character are done, I have two npc-sprites (not animated). I still have to draw two or three more npc's. And I still have no talking animations. The inventory gui is nearly finished, and I've written the "storyline". But there are still many little things to do, sprites for inventory items, objects, etc... And the programming of course  ;)
I'm not sure if I can make it in time, but I'm trying. It's gonna be a wild ride.

cat

I'm having problems getting the voice lines done. The voice actor I had contacted had some problems with the recording setup and doesn't have time anymore.

Is there any English native speaker who can record a few lines today? You can record it all in once go, shouldn't take more than a few minutes. I'm running out of time because of personal reasons the game has to be finished on Friday.

VampireWombat, would you like to give it a try? Anyone else?

VampireWombat

Yesterday I watched episodes of Darkwing Duck and figured out more of the storyline. Still have to connect some dots, but at least I have a beginning, some kind of end, and some middle.

@ Flugeldufel  You don't have to do talking animations. I'd personally focus on everything else first and only do them if you know for sure you have time.

@ cat Sorry, but I have a sore throat and am hoarse today.

Stupot

Cat, how particular are you about sound quality? If you like I can have a go at the lines using either my phone or my Mac's inbuilt microphone. I don't have anything proper though.

cat

In the end, it luckily worked out and I got the recorded lines!
Will finish the game in time  :)

Stupot

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Tue 20/08/2019 17:20:27
Cat, how particular are you about sound quality? If you like I can have a go at the lines using either my phone or my Mac's inbuilt microphone. I don't have anything proper though.

For future reference, something I learned from Mark (Mods) is to throw a towel over your head and record the lines under it. It improves the recording quality 1000%. Not quite studio quality, but close enough for such a cheap fix!

And Douglas Adams would be chuffed to know there's further proof that a towel is the most useful object in the universe.

VampireWombat

Ugh. Things not going as well as I hoped. More hot days than normal and not getting enough sleep this week hasn't helped at all. But I have at least worked on the game every day, even if it's only been at a snail's pace some days.

I have at least made notes for dialog trees, different game branches, and multiple endings. I plan to start actual programming for the game this weekend. None of my backgrounds are finished and I don't have any animations yet, but I have enough to do the base programming.

Hopefully cat has or will have a finished game today. And good luck to everyone else who is working on a game this month.

cat

Indeed we have! Marcin K., CaptainD and I proudly present:

Mr Bear Teaches English

An English learning game for toddlers. Discover various items Mr Bear will pull out of his hats and learn their names.

Download

The amazing graphics where made by Marcin K. who joined the AGS community not even a month ago. A great debut, I'd say (nod)
If you like his work, you can find more on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/mkozlinski

The voice acting was kindly provided by CaptainD.

This game is for my daughter and she is already playing it on my phone  ;-D

You can play the game on your Android phone using the AGS Android port: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44768.msg636607963#msg636607963
Just install the app and copy the game to your ags folder.

Mandle

The world needs more kids speaking like Captain Disaster!

Jokes aside (I'm sure CaptainD behaved himself)... Looks amazing! I will be using it with students as well I'm sure!

Marcin K.

Quote from: cat on Fri 23/08/2019 19:26:14
The amazing graphics where made by Marcin K. who joined the AGS community not even a month ago. A great debut, I'd say (nod)
If you like his work, you can find more on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/mkozlinski

My contribution to this project was slightly exagerated by cat :) All I did war to reuse some graphics from my archives with few small drawings and animation.
It was a fun and pleasure to colaborate on this.

VampireWombat

So, how's anyone else who's working on a game doing? Is anyone other than Flugeldufel working on one?

I can honestly say I have no idea how much I have done with my game. Multiple endings and multiple solutions kind of complicates things. I do have all but 1 background finished enough to work for the game, even though ideally I'd prefer to have more detail. Today and tomorrow I plan to try putting the pieces together better and finish up what I can on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see if it comes out as an enjoyable game or if it ends up as a confusing mess...

Cassiebsg

So I had time to play Mr.Bear now.  (nod)
Here's some feedback:
Spoiler

Really nice and simple way to get kids to learn a few basic words. Graphics are great, voice is math... I mean numbers... I mean Star... I mean our lovely CaptainD with is always cool soft voice. Very appropriate voice.

A couple things I noticed:
- I would have loved a settings slider to diminish the SFX volume. The magic wand is a lovely sound, but after the 3rd time it starts getting annoying (in my hears anyway. maybe kids would just be pressing the button just to hear it.  (laugh) )
- I would have liked to be able to click the figure or the hat to hear the words sound again. It would be good for kids to listen to it repeated several times until they can say it correctly, without having to start over. And there's already a back arrow created, so having it there in the corner to go back and pick a new hat would be natural for any kid.
- I think I had a 3rd "suggestion" but it's now alluding me, so... no 3rd unless I remember it and then I'll edit it and add it...
[close]

I'm planning to install the game on my sons tablet and let him play it for a bit, so I'll give you feedback on it later (even though he's hardly a toddler anymore, and has already have 2 years English at school, he should know these words already).

If you want it translated into Portuguese or Danish I could give it a go, and try and find some voices for it.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kastchey

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 29/08/2019 20:10:51
The magic wand is a lovely sound, but after the 3rd time it starts getting annoying (in my hears anyway. maybe kids would just be pressing the button just to hear it.
*I* was pressing the button just to hear it (roll)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Hopefully I can make the deadline. I was supposed to finish up the main programming yesterday, but I still had a small fever. As long as nothing goes wrong, I should be able to finish in time. Unfortunately I was unable to get any walking animations made for Twitch other than left and right and there are no talking animations. And I'll probably either have to cut or at least modify one or two of the possible endings since it's unlikely I'll have time to make sprites for the characters used.  Of course there won't be time to fully test, and most likely I won't finish any earlier than an hour before the deadline.

Flugeldufel

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it. The programming took more time than planned because 50% of the time I had to read the manual or the forums because of many little problems that occur, when you code your first game... So there wasn't any time left for the graphic part: I have only two backgrounds and animations for the player character. But it's gar from being a complete game, I hope I can recycle some of the stuff for a next round of MAGS. Good luck to everyone else!

VampireWombat

Shame you couldn't succeed. If you need and want help for a future MAGS, let me know.

I think I can finish my game within the next 5 hours. But I'm not 100% sure. I have most of the pieces, but I still have to put them together. And figure out some music to use...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk