MAGS August “Huts or Hats” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/08/2019 00:59:02

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September?

Mr Bear Teaches English
6 (60%)
Mystery Meat Mayhem
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Tue 17/09/2019 01:27:55

VampireWombat

Barely finished. Had to remove several options and I'm sure there's bugs...

Jack

With two minutes to spare too.

I missed the deadline though.

Cassiebsg

VW, you messed up the link. It's not clickable.
I had to copy the text and paste it into a new window.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Creamy

VW, the game crashes when I push the red button:

Quotein room 9, line 34
Error: MoveCharacter: character not in current room

VampireWombat

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 01/09/2019 11:13:40
VW, the game crashes when I push the red button:

Spoiler
That most likely means that something happened at the motel where the the slime didn't change rooms.
I'm guessing you chose the 2nd dialog option after the slime appeared.
[close]

I uploaded a second file which should fix the problem and adds back in an option which I accidentally clicked not to show.

Shadow1000

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 31/08/2019 23:58:45
Barely finished. Had to remove several options and I'm sure there's bugs...

Unfortunately I couldn't play long without the game shutting down several times. I don't know if the rules say you can correct errors and reupload but I couldn't get past
Spoiler
pressing a big red button
[close]
without the game crashing.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 02/09/2019 14:20:05
Unfortunately I couldn't play long without the game shutting down several times. I don't know if the rules say you can correct errors and reupload but I couldn't get past
Spoiler
[close]
Was it the same error Creamy posted? If so, it should be fixed in the second file I posted yesterday. If not, I need more information to know how to fix it.

Shadow1000

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 02/09/2019 14:35:45
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 02/09/2019 14:20:05
Spoiler
[close]
Was it the same error Creamy posted? If so, it should be fixed in the second file I posted yesterday. If not, I need more information to know how to fix it.

I thought I had but I readownloaded and this time I was able to get past the red button and complete the game.

Thank you

Cassiebsg

@VW
Uhm, just started playing it... have no idea what I'm doing, but calling the office crashes the game.  :(
Just thought I would give a heads up for those who still haven't played it. (and you to fix it  ;) )

Another bug (not game crashing though): Clicking on load at the main menu displays the load GUI behind the main menu, witch means, you can't use it, then starting the game, displays the Load gui, but you can't click it until you are done with the dialog choices (whom forunatly show up above the GUI) but you can't see what is happening until one gets control again outside.

Edit 2: Finished...

VampireWombat

Thanks. I'll look into it tomorrow. The office one is probably because I probably either failed to add anything to the dialog tree or didn't actually create it at all. Not sure about the load, I thought I copied and pasted it from a working load...

Cassiebsg

About the load: You need to make sure the GUI z order is higher than the z order for the main menu.

About the crash, my guess: you deleted the function and forgot to delete the link to it.

Stupot

Voting is now open. Please vote using the poll above.

Mr Bear Teaches English
by cat, Marcin K and CaptainD

Mystery Meat Mayhem
by VampireWombat

Thanks to everyone who entered, even if you didn't get to finish in time. Keep trying :-)

VampireWombat

Okay, the issues brought up by Cassie have been fixed as far as I can tell. I also fixed an issue that when you use the search engine in the phone and choose Massimo Investigations to search. I apparently had it added missing a t somewhere in Investigations.  Not that it matters since I didn't have time to make any searches in the phone have any use...

Flugeldufel

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 31/08/2019 18:53:47
If you need and want help for a future MAGS, let me know.
Thank you! Maybe I just need a little more coding practise. But now it's time to play the two games that've been submitted in time.  :)

cat

@Cassiebsg Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 29/08/2019 20:10:51
- I would have loved a settings slider to diminish the SFX volume. The magic wand is a lovely sound, but after the 3rd time it starts getting annoying (in my hears anyway. maybe kids would just be pressing the button just to hear it.  (laugh) )
I already lowered the volume, but I think it could be even lower. I don't want a slider, because I want to keep the GUI as simple as possible (that's also why there is no quit button, my kid would certainly manage to press it unintentionally)
- I would have liked to be able to click the figure or the hat to hear the words sound again. It would be good for kids to listen to it repeated several times until they can say it correctly, without having to start over. And there's already a back arrow created, so having it there in the corner to go back and pick a new hat would be natural for any kid.
You already "close" the current item when clicking on the hat again, so playing the word again when clicking the item is a good idea.

If you want it translated into Portuguese or Danish I could give it a go, and try and find some voices for it.  (nod)
Mr Bear Teaches Portuguese - why not? I can send you the translation file, it's really not a lot, but I want to fix a few other issues first once voting is over.

cat

Mystery Meat Mayhem

Spoiler
I like how the game starts right in medias res. The characters look great and the dialog between them is written well. I get some Sam&Max vibes from it and I hope we will see more of Massimo and Twitch in the future.
However, the rest of the game is chaos. The story doesn't make sense and there is hardly any gameplay. There are great ideas, like calling someone or taking photos of the screen, but it not integrated in the story itself. It seems you focused too much on coding fancy features but neglected the actual game.
It's a pity, because I think it could be a fun game. You can draw, write, code and have great gameplay ideas but you seriously lack in project and time management. Maybe with your next game you can focus on getting it done from start to finish and add the fancy stuff only after the basic stuff is done.
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: cat on Tue 10/09/2019 13:11:24
Mystery Meat Mayhem

Yeah, I had things planned out to be different for the game. But then I got sick with a fever the last week and only even finished it as much as I did because you were the only one to have submitted anything.

cat

Flugeldufel

Quote from: cat on Fri 13/09/2019 21:16:49
No other feedback?
I already voted, but didn't have any time to write a feedback

VampireWombat

And my game really doesn't need feedback. I already know most of what went wrong. And since this month will be my last MAGS for awhile, the time management issue won't be a problem for me any more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk