Registering process broken: Promised activation mail doesn't come

Started by fernewelten, Thu 01/08/2019 10:26:38

Previous topic - Next topic

fernewelten

Seemingly, when you register for the board, fill out the questionnaire and the inscription form, the system claims that an "activation link has been sent successfully" but the mail did NOT get sent. And no, it doesn't end up in the spam folder, either.

When you aren't a user yet, it is nigh impossible to report such an issue. There is a "staff list" column in the forum, but you can only see that when you are logged in. So you can't send PM, and there isn't any email address provided you could send a report to, either.

Even if you _are_ a forum member, it's kind of hard to contact the administrators: The _first_ name in the "Administrators" block is Pumaman, and they seem to block PM.

Laura Hunt

When I registered I never got the activation email either, so I even tried registering with another username just in case there had been a glitch the first time or whatever. In the end, it turns out that my first registration attempt had been successful and my account had been activated correctly, I just... never received the email.

So if this is an issue that somebody you know is having, ask them to try logging in with their username and the password they provided when they registered. It's possible that their account is active but the notification was simply never sent (fingers crossed!).

fernewelten

Here's the link to the Facebook posting, in case an Administrator wants to contact the foiled joiner first-hand:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventuregamestudio/permalink/10156930934507529/
(You need to be logged into Facebook first before following this link.)

fernewelten

Quote from: notarobotyet on Thu 01/08/2019 10:47:18
try logging in with their username and the password they provided when they registered.

You get a message: “An Error Has Occurred! | Your email address needs to be validated before you can login. Need another activation email?”

That seems to work according to specification!  8-)

(But requesting another email doesn't make another email actually get sent â€" that's not quite according to specification.)

fernewelten

Any updates on the registration troubles?

We won't get much influx if all the interested newcomers are foiled by the registration process. And that would be a shame because  as far as I can see, all that game writing help, all those competitions are firmly based in our forums. Just being member of the Facebook or Reddit group just won't cut it; you want to be here and in.

And on the other side, we ourselves are also dependent on regular growth and getting new members, to compensate for those who have to leave and set up for new horizons.

AGA

Sorry, no emails were sending for a while.  It's fixed now.

Marcin K.

Yes! It works now. Thanks for help, fernewelten :)
It's nice to be finaly here!

fernewelten

And lots of thanks to AGA for finding the cause and fixing the issue!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk