[Feature Suggestion] Delete unused sprirtes

Started by Slasher, Tue 13/08/2019 21:01:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

It would be useful if there was a 'Delete all unused sprites' facility..

I'm sure most of us import graphics that we don't use...

Marion

Very good idea. In my last games, I think I have made animations that are not used in the final game, but I don't dare to delete sprites because I am afraid of deleting some in use and make the game crash. That would be useful in order to decrease the sprites file size.

Laura Hunt

Isn't the problem that AGS can't detect if a sprite is being used for, e.g., an object? I've had instances of AGS telling me that a sprite was unused when it actually wasn't (you do get a warning message, to be fair.)

In order for a "delete all unused sprites" functionality to be implemented, I'm guessing that our amazing devs would first have to find a way to actually find all the usages of a sprite in a game...

(But once again, just a reminder that this is just a newbie's guess and I might be completely off!)

Snarky

AGS can tell if a sprite is assigned in the editor, but there's no way to tell if it's set in the script.

cat

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 14/08/2019 08:34:11
AGS can tell if a sprite is assigned in the editor, but there's no way to tell if it's set in the script.

This. I often assign a sprite number to objects which can't be detected by any cleanup feature. Removing those sprites would break the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk