Wendy Whedon - a western / fantasy adventure video game

Started by Marion, Fri 16/08/2019 19:53:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Marion

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2368

Free adventure game, western / fantasy point & click made with Adventure Game Studio.

Play as Wendy Whedon, a 16 years old girl looking for jobs around the arid Great Plain, a fantasy world with US far-west civilization level, where magic and technology are melting. On this large land live the peaceful Riders, the ingenious Enanos, the reptilians military people the Forgues, and the savages tribes Howakhans.

With her horse friend Abraham, Wendy travels from town to town and finally finds a job that allows her to meet Cain Mortensen. She will work for him at his ranch, but soon her life will take a dramatic turn...

- Discover the species of the Great Plains and their mounts
- more than 60 screens to explore
- Solution included
- Firt part of a three-parts story : \"The Ranch Mortensen\", \"Nature\'s Rejects\" and \"The Kassinkshton Express\"
- Characters created and animated with the game \"The Movies\" by Lionhead Studios. Backgrounds based on the game \"Call of Juarez 2 - Bound in Blood\" by UbiSoft.
- Based on characters and universe of the Great Plain, created by Marion Poinsot
- English, French.

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release! :)
Looking forward to give it a try.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Mandle

I've been playing the goshdarn heck outa this here game tonight and a few comments so far:

Spoiler

* The photographer took the photo at the ranch gate with the camera pointed the wrong way.

* There is a massive slowdown in movement in the ranch's main yard ever since the rain happened. This is a bit annoying when doing the rain bucket fetch quest. Is the rain sprite still animating somewhere off-screen while visible? Maybe turn it invisible, stop it animating, or some other third thing?

* I found a text issue: "I've already already filled out the paperwork." when Cain is telling the ranch-hands that they get the ranch if he never comes back.

* The music is really loud in some places. Maybe turn it down by 30%-50%?

*The credits scene after the first chapter is done is really confusing. It might make the player think that the game is already over.
[close]

Apart from these slight issues I am loving this game!
Spoiler
The gameplay is a tad on the light side but the story is interesting enough to hold my attention.

I would have loved something similar but with more options to participate in the various towns, like hunting quests, gambling games, etc. but I realize as well that this ain't RDR 3.
[close]

Anyway, back to the game!

paolo

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 17/08/2019 15:06:57
Spoiler

* I found a text issue: "I've already already filled out the paperwork." when Cain is telling the ranch-hands that they get the ranch if he never comes back.
[close]

That one's down to me. I proofread my translation carefully, but it looks like that one slipped through the net! Glad you're enjoying the game.

Marion

Sorry about that, Mandle ! I didn't see the text mistake and the other problems you speak about don't appear when I try the game at home. But I'm happy you enjoy it :)

Mandle

Quote from: Marion on Sat 17/08/2019 20:44:09
Sorry about that, Mandle ! I didn't see the text mistake and the other problems you speak about don't appear when I try the game at home. But I'm happy you enjoy it :)

Spoiler
Well, I'm pretty sure the camera pointing the wrong way was because of someone not quite knowing how old-fashioned cameras work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_camera

In the game the lens is pointed towards the "dwarf" taking the photo.
[close]

Also:
Spoiler
I'm playing the game in interpolated mode so I can read the text. Maybe this causes the ranch yard slowdown?
[close]

Marion

Yes, maybe. With the default configuration it doesn't seem to have this problem :-/

Shadow1000

I've been playing for about 40 minutes and I will echo what Mandle has said:

- Graphics and music outstanding and stunning
- Story is pretty interesting
- So far I'm waiting for some puzzles. :) The game seems to basically do what you're told?

As far as my progress, I am up to
Spoiler
the photograph was just taken
[close]

Will keep enjoying it and comment...

heltenjon

I played game number two in this series first, and really wish I had started with this one. The main strengths is the storytelling and the atmosphere. Graphics and music gave me a western feeling right away! For me, this is a western with fantasy elements, more than fantasy with a western setting.

Wendy is a well-written character, and I knew after playing the second chapter that I had to go back and play this one before embarking on the third. The tasks are easy (this is improved in the second chapter), and there's not much chance of getting stuck. The story have several twists, and that is one of the reasons I wish I had played this one first.  ;) I enjoyed the game. Recommended for those who can enjoy a game for the story without many puzzles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk