Paul Romano

Started by mbnoland, Tue 27/08/2019 17:43:41

Previous topic - Next topic

mbnoland

Hello everyone!

I would like to present PAUL ROMANO: a modern adventure looking retro to rediscover the charm of the point&click games!

THE STORY
It was the midnight of an ordinary Friday...Reached the top of the skyscraper where he works, Paul Romano thinks back to the highlights of his life, starting exactly from the first assignment entrusted to him several years ago: get back a sum of money from a local dealer of which no traces were now to be seen.But what is the real reason that prompted him to engage this reflection?Play the part of Paul Romano and discover through his first recollection how his inner journey has began.Move inside a New York City now subdued to the power of corruption and money, pursuing your objectives. Use your brain to solve puzzles that will present in front of you, interact with the characters that you will meet through your adventure to find more about Paul Romano's world or just to defuse misfortune of everyone's life.

FEATURES:
- An old school point & click adventure revised where meet new contamination of styles and classic elements, inspired by adventures from the '80s and '90s, with a 800x600 resolutions and 32-bit colors;
- 15 interactive characters and about 20 NPC to encounter along the way interpreted by real people;
- Original soundtracks composed by Carlo Romano Settanni;
- Approximately 3-6 hours of gameplay (or more), depending on your skills, with various and hilarious dialogues and challenging puzzles of increasing difficulty;
- More or less hidden quotes in tribute to our beloved videogames, anime, cartoons, TV series and movies.

Below you will find the link to this game, uploaded on ITCH.IO, containing further details:

https://paulromano.itch.io/recollection-1

Here's the AGS link of the game:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2370/

For now I thank all who wish to try this game, and thank you all for your time!

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Cristian  :)

Mandle

I'm a huge fan of games that use photos in this way! Gotta play!

Mandle

I'm loving this game so far!!!

Damn, how much time was spent getting the smooth green-screen animations of characters??!!

The English translation needs a LOT of work to be really viable. I can understand what the characters are saying because I have a ton of experience in translating Italian games to English but the layman might be clueless about a lot of what is being said in the English version. Google translate and then paste is not gonna cut it I'm sorry.

Calling female characters "Him" and male characters "Miss" and humans "It" is just too jarring for an English native speaker.

The jokes in the game are almost unrecognizable because of the translation. Sometimes it's just better to either throw away jokes completely or translate them into completely different jokes.

Now that I got my translation rage out of the way...

The game is amazing!

The unexpected driving through New York cutscenes are charming as hell. The animations of the real life actors are fluid and charming as hell in their pixelated glory.

I feel like I'm playing an undiscovered FMV game from the 90s!!!

Now if only I could figure out how to

Spoiler
Get that damn garage door open!!!
[close]

mbnoland

Hi Mandle!!  :)
I really appreciate your comments and your criticism (about the translation!).
To answer your questions, I would like to specify that I have been working on this project for almost 5 years with some friends, in our spare time.
We were doing the best that we could, with really few resources, and obviously we know that there are many imperfections, but our goal is to realize something of ours to share with the world!
Anyway, thank to your feedback, we'll try to improve some critical aspects, as the translation!

In regard to the other matter... if you are REALLY sure you'd like to know:
Spoiler
first you have to combine the pencil whit the blank paper, and then you have to combine the resulting (pencil+paper) with the pencil sharpener; in this way you can obtain the graphite powder!
[close]

Again, thank you a lot for your reply and I am looking forward to receive you opinion when you end the game!  :-D

Mandle

Oh dear...

Spoiler
Is that the solution to opening the "broken" lock?! I had combined the paper and pencil but that just makes me think I need them together to write something down later.

When I try the door it just says the lock must be busted again. It doesn't say the key is sticking in the lock and needs some lubricant.

I just thought I needed to call a locksmith on my smart phone or something that made sense like that.

I think you might need a bit more in-game hinting at what the problem is with the lock or nobody is ever going to figure out that it needs graphite filings from the pencil/paper set and the sharpener to lubricate it.

And even if someone does get it by hit and miss it's not a satisfying feeling for the player.

I would put some ingame hints like "The key fits in the keyhole but won't turn. The mechanism seems a bit jammed up. Maybe it needs some kind of non-liquid lubricant to get it turning?"

Or, possibly something less on-the-nose... :-D

EDIT: I had a thought... How about a book in the home's bookshelf about locksmithing with a section talking about how graphite power can be used in locks to free them up when stuck? I think you also need a slight hint when the player tries to use the pencil and sharpener together like "That's a good idea but the graphite powder would just fall on the floor." Also, pencil sharpeners don't really make graphite powder, they make pencil shavings. Perhaps the sharpener should be a nail file?
[close]

mbnoland

I have taken note of your suggestion!  ;)

Concerning the specific case:
Spoiler
The expedient of the graphite powder is really happened in my life! So, I figured that it could be funny to insert it in the game! Anyway, I agree with you, and in particoular with your suggestion to add an hint similar to: "The key fits in the keyhole but won't turn. The mechanism seems a bit jammed up. Maybe it needs some kind of non-liquid lubricant to get it turning?"
[close]

Thank you again for your help, Mandle!  :)

Mandle

Cheers! Don't get me wrong...

Spoiler
The puzzle is good but it does fall a bit into the category of "try to guess what the game creator was thinking" which is fine as long as there are a couple to nudges to help put the player in the same mindset.

Now I go back to the game! Having a great time!
[close]

agentbauer

Pretty cool game, smooth green-screen animations of the characters, and it looks like live from the 90s.
Only the walk animation of the player is not so great and skipping the walking to a hotspot via ESC is not so great. I would prefer a double-click.

The game is really amazing.

But I am stuck..

Spoiler

How can I get into the club, I try knocking like the sequence coming from the door, but it won't open. Is that a bug :confused:
[close]
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

mbnoland

Hi agentbauter!
First of all, thank you for the time you have decided to dedicate to this game and for your comment!  ;-D
I take into consideration your suggestion of a double-click to skip the walking for a future release!

Now, about the other matter...
Spoiler
you have to solve the puzzle taking into consideration the poster near the entrance. The first line of numbers of the poster is equivalent to the number of knocking you hear from the other side of the door... A little help: it's a mathematical sequence! Instead, if you need the solution see the following spoiler text!
[close]
Here's the other part (only in case of EXTREME necessity :-D)
Spoiler
the solution is 1 4 3 2 2 3
[close]
Please let me know your comments when you end the game!
Thanks!  :)

Michael2968

I am enjoying playing your game so far but I am having trouble
Spoiler
finding where the pencil is in the game.
[close]

mbnoland

Hi Michael2968!
Thanks for your reply!  ;)
Here's the answer to your question:
Spoiler
the pencil is above the desk of Paul Romano between the printer and the monitor  ;)
[close]
Enjoy the game!
Bye! :)

agentbauer

Dear mbnoland,

I finished the game without any bug. So for that, great work!
The game is really well done, as I wrote above.
The endgame is really nice and suprising.
The puzzles are not to hard, but sometimes to easy. 
Some minor critics:
The english translation is really not the best, but it is understandable.
Pixel hunting.... you really have to click on anything on screen to not miss some items. I won't spoil but 2 or 3 items I only found via try and error.
Every fan of a FMV should play this!

Sadly, the game is rather short, but there might be a second part?
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

mbnoland

Congratulations on finishing the game and many thanks for your review!  :)

The project consists of three parts, and I've just got all the necessary to complete the second chapter... Anyway, before starting the new work, I'll evaluate the popolarity of this first chapter.

Thank you again for playing Paul Romano!  :)

Vincent

I don't quite understand how I missed this game... Taking up what Mandle said, I'm also a huge fan of games that use photos in this way, it really look like an FMV game from the 90s! I must download this game as soon as I can and I also can't wait to play this game fully in Italian!  :-D

Greetings and keep up with the great work!

Wiggy

Great game and thanks for watching the hints site. I echo everything Mandle has said. Yes some things were done poorly, but the overall feeling and immersion were well done. The most important thing I hope you take notice from Mandle is get your final translation by a native speaker of that language! I am always willing to help, and Australia has plenty of Italo-Aussies to assist freely.

Pixel-hunting is never fun, but overall I loved this game, the storyline grabs you, Well done!
I anticipate the next  installment!!!

Pogwizd

Hi,
I'm playing the game right now but I've been stuck for last 50 minutes...

Spoiler
Miraculously, I managed to open the garage door but the other thing I'm stuck with is most probably the very first puzzle - how to crack the password to the USB drive?
[close]

Shadow1000

I completed the game and I want to post my comments.

• Graphics, animation, recorded acting with live actors, music, interface all score an A+. It looks like an enormous effort and many people involved and I can't compliment this enough
  • I liked the plot and characters. The pacing of how things unfolded compared to the puzzles was paced really well. Ultimately this can be a huge factor in how enjoyable a game is
  • Others commented on the English. I didn't really find the translation to be a problem but I will admit that I completely didn't understand some of the lines said in the dialogues.
  • My opinion is that the puzzles need to be reworked. Details below

Unfortunately, I found most of my playing time spent on the Hints and Tips forum. I think there were three puzzles I was able to solve independently. The actual playing time was spent on trying to figure out how to achieve what I found on the forum.

I usually solve 80-99% of puzzles on my own. In a longer or more difficult game I may have to ask two or three hints and find a few more. In this game, the fact that most of the solutions are found on the forum means that other players were stumped by the same things that I was. Even once I found the solution, I often felt that there's no way I would have figured it out on my own and didn't even understand the solution.

Some examples of this:
Spoiler
Others have pointed out that the solution to the garage door is not one that most players would have gotten logically. I still don't get the logic of the knocking
[close]

The graphics are awesome but since they are photographs, it was often difficult to find items such as
Spoiler
The pencil. I would never have found it on my own, let alone to know that I'm looking for it. I didn't really see the lighter or pencil sharpener either. I can't see how anyone would have found these if they didn't know they are looking for them
[close]

The reason I'm making these comments is because it was really a good experience overall. I know that there are two more planned and I'm hoping that my comments will just help the next releases rather than dissuade production.

Lastly, these are just the thoughts of one player :) I don't speak on the behalf of anyone else and you can disregard my comments! :D

Buona fortuna!

mbnoland

Hi Pogwizd,
Spoiler
to solve the puzzle of the USB drive you have to examine the USB drive and use the hided number as "Key"
[close]
If you need here's the solution:
Spoiler
the password is MONKEY
[close]
If you have other questions try to see the Hints and Tips section of the forum.

Shadow1000,
I really appreciate your review and for it I thank you!
For sure I'll take into consideration your suggestions for the future chapters.
Anyway, I would like to explain you the last puzzle that, in my opinion, is the best one:
Spoiler
you hear from the other side of the door: 4 knock - 2 knock - 2 knock - 2 knock - 3 knock - 3 knock. So the solution is 1 4 3 2 2 3 because is a mathematical sequence, that is 1 time 4 knocking, then 3 times 2 knocking and 2 times 3 knocking. If you take into consideration the poster outside the club there's a suggestion to solve it
[close]

Thank you all again for your time!

Shadow1000

Quote from: mbnoland on Wed 04/09/2019 09:45:08

Shadow1000,
I really appreciate your review and for it I thank you!
For sure I'll take into consideration your suggestions for the future chapters.
Anyway, I would like to explain you the last puzzle that, in my opinion, is the best one:
Spoiler
you hear from the other side of the door: 4 knock - 2 knock - 2 knock - 2 knock - 3 knock - 3 knock. So the solution is 1 4 3 2 2 3 because is a mathematical sequence, that is 1 time 4 knocking, then 3 times 2 knocking and 2 times 3 knocking. If you take into consideration the poster outside the club there's a suggestion to solve it
[close]

Thank you all again for your time!

I understand your explanation but I have to honestly say that I would never have figured that out. I looked at the poster again. Where is the hint on the poster?

Another example:
Spoiler
even after finishing the game, I still don't know what an "infernal lymph" is or what it has to do with the solution
[close]

mbnoland

Shadow1000,
Concerning the hint on the poster
Spoiler
the poster says from 11 12 11 (that is the equivalent of the numbers of knocking you hear, 4 2 2 2 3 3) to 31 12 21, that is 3 times 1, 1 time 2 and 2 times 1 (the equivalent of 1 4 3 2 2 3, the solution for the knocking) 
[close]

About the other example
Spoiler
the infernal lymph doesn't exist in reality, as doesn't exist a drug named HELLISH, it's only a funny expedient to create a drug like that with a fluid "coming from the hell"
[close]

Bye! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk