Tropic Jim's Sweet Island Adventure

Started by sulhyd, Wed 28/08/2019 19:22:31

Previous topic - Next topic

sulhyd

Tropic Jim's Sweet Island Adventure! It's out! Woh.
It's about being on a SWEET island and being TOTALLY SAFE!
And maybe you've been there longer than advertised... But hey it's a beach!

Here's a trailer:

Here's a download link:
https://sulhyd.itch.io/tjsia

Cassiebsg

Congrats that you finished and published the game.  (nod)
Think the trailer could have stretched by 30 secs more. I can barely read that carefully written white text or figure out any BGs, Characters or game play... unless you were going for subliminal message and then you're probably 29 sec too much.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Mandle

I found some bugs so far:

Spoiler
I got to the bunker under the rocks.

Bug: When I look at the books after finding the 2,29 hint. If I don't use the NO option often the next book is the same as the last one. With one book the "turn to page" option doesn't disappear when you close the book by clicking on the [X]. The book about singing the song in the fantasy world has no turn-to-page option.

Bug: Only left-click works on the prank flier. Right-click displays the note with "ether tin" on it again. It took me ages to find the prank flier because of this.

Bug: This one is pretty serious. At some point after getting the page from the Anagram puzzle book the page disappeared from my inventory!!! I think it was when I used the safe combination but I'm not 100% sure.
[close]

Creamy

Nice game. You got me hooked.

Yet I had to stop because of a bug:
Spoiler
When I was in the bunker, I clicked on the right side of the screen and was able to pass through the door and exit the room. It breaks the game since she refuses to get back in. Plus I cannot talk to the characters anymore.
[close]

Don't know if this is a bug:
Spoiler
I read the paper about the prank safe box and how to open it. But she refuses to poke it as instructed.
[close]

sulhyd

Hey! sorry about the bugs- i tested it a lot but some still managed to get through, which is sad. I fixed the ones that you both brought up, but I'm sorry you ran into them!

For poking the box however- did you physically click on the top two screws when the box was onscreen? Otherwise I don't know why that wouldn't work. And I wasn't able to replicate how you left the bunker, so I don't know how to fix that?

Thank you for letting me know!

Cassiebsg

Never be too shy to ask for help with Beta testing. there are plenty people here that will gladly help out.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Laura Hunt

I had the same bug as Creamy:

Spoiler
I can walk through the closed door and leave the bunker without having finished whatever it is I'm supposed to do there. After leaving I can't talk to characters anymore. From this point on, looks like I can't make any more progress.
[close]

Also,

Spoiler
if you click on the Stacked Objects after you've already seen Jim enter the combination, the scene will play out again. I was expecting to get something like "I don't need to hide anymore, I already have the code" or something like that.
[close]

The idea is good, I love the art, the plot is intriguing and I like the humour, but seeing these bugs plus others that have been reported plus a bunch of spelling mistakes, it looks like this should have been beta tested much more thoroughly  :undecided:

(Also, please add a volume slider. Everybody. Please. Why do so many AGS devs not think of this. Please! I beg you all!)

Shadow1000

I spent an hour and a half on this last night.

- The art and animation are really well done.
- The idea behind the game is really original
- I think that the puzzles are challenging and excellent.

I found that there was a lot of walking so I wanted to go to the game speed to adjust it, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. I tried to save the game, but nothing for that either. I pressed all the function keys hoping to hit a save button and I ended up with all items in my inventory?? It looks like something's been overlooked here.

At one point I ended up with Amy not being able to move (she was talking to Erick and then the character got stuck). I had to restart the game and as I said, there seems to not be a save.

I really think this game has big potential but it looks like the beta testers may have missed a few things. For the effort that's gone into the game, the ability to save is essential. My rule of thumb is that if a game is more than 20 minutes long, you really need to give the ability to save. Just imagine spending an hour or two on a game and being out of time and having no choice but to quit and lose everything. It's unusual that a player will be able to just complete a game like this in one sitting.

sulhyd

Alright, I will do my best to fix things that you all mentioned. Thank you for informing me about these things!
I was pretty much the only person to test this other than two other friends, so this is just telling me that in the future I need to do waaaaaay more testing.

@Shadow1000 Thank you so much! On the speed though- I can't change the speed because there's a lot of audio that's synced to things that changing game speed would be troublesome. I might add a double click to fast change room thing though.

@Laura Hunt I'll try and proofread more- do you remember where the spelling mistakes were? I thought I proof read it thoroughly but I do want to fix any typos. I'll also look into an audio slider.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk