Studio Ghibli Perspective Trick

Started by Yitcomics, Fri 30/08/2019 14:43:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Yitcomics

I always try to search for perspective tricks, but it's hard to find material on the topic. But I found this article recently:

https://soranews24.com/2019/06/11/manga-artist-raises-question-online-about-false-perspective-in-ghibli-film-my-neighbor-totoro/

Apparently this picture cause some discussion (Also from the link, someone pointed out even the floor perspective is off):

Usually when I do multiple vanishing point on the same horizon line, it's done for a scrolling background.
Do you guys have any insight or thoughts on the tricks that was used for this scene?

Jack

I don't know much about art rules, but I think two point perspective is considered acceptable in some cases.

The artist probably went with what looks good.

Mandle

It's also a run-down old house in a country where wooden houses are designed to bend with earthquakes instead of ripping themselves apart. Maybe the angles of every room don't square out close to 90 degrees at every corner?

I used to live in a house that was about 80 years old and of very similar construction to the one in the picture. Nothing lined up! It was impossible to even get two people to agree if a picture was hanging level on the wall as they were looking at different reference points to make the judgement.

For Totaro they used a lot of drawing over photos to do the art so this could be a paintover of a room in an actual house.

Just sayin'

.M.M.

Wow, this looks like a really cool way to draw a wide space! Mostly, in my opinion, one point perspective used for indoor scenes makes the perspective look a bit exaggerated. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the description in link it's a scene where the girls happily explore their new home - using this technique, the house actually looks more spatious.

Drawing in the vanishing lines for one point perspective shows how much the scene benefits from using two vanishing points!  :)

fred

Interesting discussion, and two-point perspective is perfectly valid imho. Perspective is just one of many artistic choices in an image. A game like Monument Valley https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ustwo.monumentvalley&hl=en_US is a good example of conscious use of impossible/counter-intuitive/Escheresque perspectives (even gameplay-wise.)

Also reminded me of this video of David Hockney discussing use of perspective in an old Chinese painting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFDGct4kH8 I think many similar perspective tricks could probably be found in games, where it's sometimes important to bend the rules of physics/perception a bit for a better presentation.

fernewelten

I think that the "points" in the two-"point" perspective are a red herring: Let's suppose that a table was standing freely in the room somewhere, parallel to the walls - would the table sides line up with the left perspective point or with the right one? Probably neither - it'd need to be a third point in between. So I agree with those that say that the perspective "point" is a continuum in the picture. That's why the floor lines meet in a point that is neither the left nor the right wall.

What's more interesting is _why_ you'd want to do that in the first place: AFAICS, what it does specifically is it exaggerates the way that distant objects are tinier that near objects. So when that older girl runs into the foreground in a way that corresponds to this perspective, she'll downright "explode". This was probably the effect the animator wanted to achieve.

We can reproduce that "exploding" effect in AGS by using a walkable area with an exaggerated minimum and maximum scaling level. But would that be wise? Usually the characters stay in the room for a while and walk to the front and to the back repeatedly -- making them constantly "explode" and "implode". Not so good. So for designing a background in an adventure, I'd rather use the trick in the exact opposite way, making the left wall lines meet in a perspective point that is to the _left_ of the point of the right wall. I can then use a walkable area that _attenuates_ the "exploding" effect. That works best if the viewport is smaller than the room so that the player can't see both room sides at the same time and get wise on the trick.

fernewelten

Quote from: fernewelten on Mon 23/12/2019 14:09:58
AFAICS, what it does specifically is it exaggerates the way that distant objects are tinier that near objects. So when that older girl runs into the foreground in a way that corresponds to this perspective, she'll downright "explode".

No -- come to think of it, the exact opposite is true. If you move the perspective points out, the floor and ceiling lines of the side walls will become steeper and so the exploding effect will become more extreme. By moving the perspective points in so that the left wall lines meet in a point that is to the right of the point for the right wall, the floor and ceiling lines are flatter and the "exploding" effect is attenuated.

Monsieur OUXX

Yitcomics

I'm back again (and have to say goodbye again :~() and I found these tutorials. They're in Japanese but I saw someone translating them (Not sure on the accuracy though):

Translation
Page 1:
About being aware of the vanishing point: Chapter 1. by Hyougonosuke

'The vanishing point is never a point; but a circle.' quoted by Hayao Miyazaki in one of his interview with the medias. And since then, this theory has always been my main principle whenever it comes to drawing something.

Imagine if the vanishing point is actually a circular area, and by making all the perspective lines merging into this area

As you can see, though the perspective lines are kinda messy, they all merged and met inside this circle.

Page 2:

About being aware of the vanishing point: Chapter 2. by Hyougonosuke

(For example) in this picture above, the perspective lines also reduced into the vanishing circle (like what I have shown you before)

I don't wanna recommend this technique to those who want to draw their works 'accurately', but to the 'Hey, this is good enough already' type of people like me, this might be a good way (to draw).

Danvzare

In terms of art, I'm a complete amateur who ignores perspective and vanishing points.  (laugh)
But seeing this, and the result of treating the vanishing point as a circle, is absolutely awesome! It almost makes me wish I was a decent artist so I could incorporate it into my artstyle.

Thanks for this Yitcomics.

Yitcomics

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 30/07/2021 14:28:21
Thanks for this Yitcomics.
You're welcome :~(

I've always feel there's lot of tricks and approach to perspective that are not being discussed, especially in the animation department. These masters made a passing mention but none of them elaborate, Marshall Vandruff supposedly say he's in the middle of creating the ultimate Perspective tutorial, years in the making, that was almost two years ago and it's still not released. Lol I really hope its worth the wait.

Gilbert

Quote from: Yitcomics on Fri 30/07/2021 13:47:58
They're in Japanese

Not quite. The first image was already translated to Chinese (except its title) but the second image was in the original Japanese.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk