MAGS September "Magic" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 03/09/2019 01:15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September?

Escape Literature
6 (100%)
The Summoned
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: Tue 15/10/2019 04:50:56

Stupot

Voting is now open. Please vote using the poll above.

Escape Literature
by Reiter

The Summoned
by VampireWombat

Magic
Chosen by NuggetSeb
Deadline September 30th

Create a game that has magic somehow take place in the form of however you see fit. Most anything goes so long as it can be considered magical!

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

VampireWombat

Good, I was hoping for a theme I could use for a horrorish game this month.
Looks like I'll finally get to make a proper urban fantasy/horror game. Now to figure everything else out...

VampireWombat

I really hope someone else joins in this month. There's a chance this may be my last MAGS for awhile, so I really don't want to win by default...

I've been working on an art style for characters this week. And this weekend I'll be doing some test ideas for a spell system. I have a general idea for the story, have decided on one of two general locations, and a few other things.

Mandle

I'm probably in for this one. The topic is just too awesome!

Stupot

I advised NuggetSeb that broader themes tend to get more entries, and this is nice, juicy open theme so don't let him down.   (wrong)

Mandle

I started work on my game yesterday but today got some emergency news and have to fly back to Australia for probably some time.

Sorry, I'm out.

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 09/09/2019 01:19:35
I started work on my game yesterday but today got some emergency news and have to fly back to Australia for probably some time.

Sorry, I'm out.
Don't be sorry, dude. Take care.

VampireWombat

Yeah, definitely don't worry about it. Focus on the important stuff.

Radiant

Nice theme.

What are the current rules on pre-existing resources? Any? Trove only? Templates and sound effects only? None?

Stupot

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 11/09/2019 13:03:53
Nice theme.

What are the current rules on pre-existing resources? Any? Trove only? Templates and sound effects only? None?

Whatever you can get your hands on, frankly.  (nod)

VampireWombat

To make sure I can finish the game on time, I'm doing the game 320 x 180 with low resolution sprites. Unfortunately I don't have much really done yet. Only one background mostly done, figuring out the sprite style, and a lot of research and world building.
I still don't have a name for the game or a name for the main character...

VampireWombat

So, I talked to the guy running the $103 Adventure Game Challenge on Itch.io for the next 2 weeks. He said that it was fine for me to use what I started for this month's MAGS as long as it fits the theme for his jam, etc. He also said it was fine to enter the game into other jams/contests. So, I was wondering if it would be okay to submit the game I make for his jam to this month's MAGS. Especially since the characters and setting were developed specifically for this month's MAGS.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 16/09/2019 13:09:36
So, I talked to the guy running the $103 Adventure Game Challenge on Itch.io for the next 2 weeks. He said that it was fine for me to use what I started for this month's MAGS as long as it fits the theme for his jam, etc. He also said it was fine to enter the game into other jams/contests. So, I was wondering if it would be okay to submit the game I make for his jam to this month's MAGS. Especially since the characters and setting were developed specifically for this month's MAGS.

There are no rules that prevent you from entering your MAGS entry into other outside contests.

Stupot

Yeah, go for it. My game Power Nap was made for the Adventure Jam using the MAGS theme.

VampireWombat

Alright, thanks guys.

Then it looks like an Urban Fantasy magical item heist game is a go. Now to figure out the item and where it's being stolen from...

VampireWombat

So... Is anyone else working on a game for this month?
I'm still working on mine. But unfortunately it's not going as well as hoped. I'm pretty much redoing all of the graphics...

Kastchey

I'm trying to put something together because the theme is just too sweet to ignore. I only started yesterday but I got some help so it's not completely unlikely. I'm set to keep it brief :)

VampireWombat

Good luck. Hopefully you can finish something in time.
My game is going a bit better since I switched from "normal" view to top down.

Creamy

QuoteI'm trying to put something together because the theme is just too sweet to ignore.

You're darn right.

Good luck to get something done in the short span and sorry again for letting you down.

Kastchey

You didn't, life obligations rarely care about how cool a MAGS theme is ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk