MAGS September "Magic" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 03/09/2019 01:15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS September?

Escape Literature
6 (100%)
The Summoned
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: Tue 15/10/2019 04:50:56

Stupot

Voting is now open. Please vote using the poll above.

Escape Literature
by Reiter

The Summoned
by VampireWombat

Magic
Chosen by NuggetSeb
Deadline September 30th

Create a game that has magic somehow take place in the form of however you see fit. Most anything goes so long as it can be considered magical!

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

VampireWombat

Good, I was hoping for a theme I could use for a horrorish game this month.
Looks like I'll finally get to make a proper urban fantasy/horror game. Now to figure everything else out...

VampireWombat

I really hope someone else joins in this month. There's a chance this may be my last MAGS for awhile, so I really don't want to win by default...

I've been working on an art style for characters this week. And this weekend I'll be doing some test ideas for a spell system. I have a general idea for the story, have decided on one of two general locations, and a few other things.

Mandle

I'm probably in for this one. The topic is just too awesome!

Stupot

I advised NuggetSeb that broader themes tend to get more entries, and this is nice, juicy open theme so don't let him down.   (wrong)

Mandle

I started work on my game yesterday but today got some emergency news and have to fly back to Australia for probably some time.

Sorry, I'm out.

Stupot

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 09/09/2019 01:19:35
I started work on my game yesterday but today got some emergency news and have to fly back to Australia for probably some time.

Sorry, I'm out.
Don't be sorry, dude. Take care.

VampireWombat

Yeah, definitely don't worry about it. Focus on the important stuff.

Radiant

Nice theme.

What are the current rules on pre-existing resources? Any? Trove only? Templates and sound effects only? None?

Stupot

Quote from: Radiant on Wed 11/09/2019 13:03:53
Nice theme.

What are the current rules on pre-existing resources? Any? Trove only? Templates and sound effects only? None?

Whatever you can get your hands on, frankly.  (nod)

VampireWombat

To make sure I can finish the game on time, I'm doing the game 320 x 180 with low resolution sprites. Unfortunately I don't have much really done yet. Only one background mostly done, figuring out the sprite style, and a lot of research and world building.
I still don't have a name for the game or a name for the main character...

VampireWombat

So, I talked to the guy running the $103 Adventure Game Challenge on Itch.io for the next 2 weeks. He said that it was fine for me to use what I started for this month's MAGS as long as it fits the theme for his jam, etc. He also said it was fine to enter the game into other jams/contests. So, I was wondering if it would be okay to submit the game I make for his jam to this month's MAGS. Especially since the characters and setting were developed specifically for this month's MAGS.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 16/09/2019 13:09:36
So, I talked to the guy running the $103 Adventure Game Challenge on Itch.io for the next 2 weeks. He said that it was fine for me to use what I started for this month's MAGS as long as it fits the theme for his jam, etc. He also said it was fine to enter the game into other jams/contests. So, I was wondering if it would be okay to submit the game I make for his jam to this month's MAGS. Especially since the characters and setting were developed specifically for this month's MAGS.

There are no rules that prevent you from entering your MAGS entry into other outside contests.

Stupot

Yeah, go for it. My game Power Nap was made for the Adventure Jam using the MAGS theme.

VampireWombat

Alright, thanks guys.

Then it looks like an Urban Fantasy magical item heist game is a go. Now to figure out the item and where it's being stolen from...

VampireWombat

So... Is anyone else working on a game for this month?
I'm still working on mine. But unfortunately it's not going as well as hoped. I'm pretty much redoing all of the graphics...

Kastchey

I'm trying to put something together because the theme is just too sweet to ignore. I only started yesterday but I got some help so it's not completely unlikely. I'm set to keep it brief :)

VampireWombat

Good luck. Hopefully you can finish something in time.
My game is going a bit better since I switched from "normal" view to top down.

Creamy

QuoteI'm trying to put something together because the theme is just too sweet to ignore.

You're darn right.

Good luck to get something done in the short span and sorry again for letting you down.

Kastchey

You didn't, life obligations rarely care about how cool a MAGS theme is ;)

Reiter

I, too, would like to report that I am appearing in this month's competition.

I am a new arrival here, as it were, although I have been fiddling with AGS for a while now. This is, however, the first time that I have a MAGS-project (and a game) in a state fit for public viewing. It is drawn, written and all strung together, barring some house-keeping. This was, indeed, an excellent theme, and it was simply too good not to take a chance.

A brief question, however; where would the veteran MAGSpies suggest that I up-load the game? It is a very brief affair, and not particularly taxing in file size. More of a demonstration of concept, which is the chief beauty about the MAGS, I find.

Further, is there anything else that a newcomer such as I to the MAGS ought to think of? Thank you kindly in advance.

Cassiebsg

I use Mediafire, but you could just as well create a itch.io profile and upload it there.  ;)
There are other places to upload though... onedrive, dropbox, etc...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kastchey

Hi Reiter, welcome and congratulations on completing your first MAGS.

Google drive will do just fine for uploading your game if you maintain an account there. There are plenty alternatives to Google too, e.g. http://tinyupload.com/ (if your game is under 50MB) or https://www.filedropper.com/ (up to 5GB).

It might also be a good idea to add the game to AGS database so it qualifies for the annual AGS Awards.

Good luck in the competition!

VampireWombat

I personally use Itch.io for my games.

And since the deadline for the jam on there is in a little under 8 hours, I will for once have my game finished early.

Good luck to those who are working on a game.

Reiter

Excellent suggestions! Thank you kindly. I shall see which would be the best, once the game is built and ready for export (and I know its final size).

Now, I did think of the AGS data-base, but I wondered if it would be considered poor form to upload such a Spartan game as this on there. It is more akin to a demo, in length. If there is a precedence for it, however, I will add it there, too.

Itch.io does seem like a good future option, all together. Well worth investigating. Thank you all for the responses! And, indeed, best of luck with any projects still at work! And happy to hear that you did make the deadline with time to spare, Mr. Wombat.

I suppose that a rough sort of read-me file, included with the game, is considered best form, by the by?

VampireWombat

Did make the deadline? Oh no. I'm still scrambling to get my game done.

I've never included a read me, but such a thing wouldn't hurt. It depends on if your controls are different than the normal, etc. I suppose...

Reiter

Oh, I see! My apologies, but best of luck on the final stretch. It is extraordinary, what one can do under the beat of a clock.

Now, then, here is my game.

-Escape Literature-

Game down-load link here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=52861253875773859348

A brief description:
You are a spell-book, come to life and determined to escape your master's treasure chamber and return to the world. You do this by recovering your elementary pages. For, indeed, nothing can keep a good book down.

Any further things that I should provide to be in the running, as it were?

VampireWombat

I failed to finish my game yesterday. The whole heist thing didn't work out for me. So I'm making a completely different game today. Luckily I can use 2 of the backgrounds I have in place and only need to make 1 more. I will still use the same setting and 2 characters, including the main character. And I will be keeping it simple, so I should be able to finish no problem.

Reiter - Screenshot, name, link, and description pretty much cover it. Anything else would be optional.

VampireWombat

Well, it's kind of playable. Almost everything in the last room is screwed up so I had to remove pretty much all interaction. Sorry. I'll try to have it fixed in a few days.

The Summoned.

https://vampirewombat.itch.io/the-summoned

VampireWombat

If anyone downloaded before now, please re-download. There were major errors that I had to fix.
Also, there was an issue with the music so I had to remove it.

Stupot

Thanks for the entries, folks.

Voting is now open. Please vote using the poll above.
Please let me know if I've missed anything.

Escape Literature
by Reiter

The Summoned
by VampireWombat

Shadow1000

Two games!

Escape Literature
Spoiler
I really enjoyed this one! Great graphics, sound and interface. Great concept and story. Music really set the tone. Awesome first game!

My only area to recommend for improvement is that the puzzles were for the most part a lot of trial and error. That said, for a game made on a time constraint, I'm really impressed.
[close]

The Summoned
Spoiler
Looks like it could be made into a full game. I liked the mirror effect of the storefront
[close]

My vote went to
Spoiler
Escape literature.
[close]
Very impressive job. I hope to see more games from this author!

Kastchey

Two entries is nice considering it turned out to be such a busy month for everyone.
My feedback below:

Escape Literature
Spoiler
Fantastic game! Really enjoyable and very clever. The gameplay reminds me of those "alchemy" games that used to be popular on mobile platforms a while back. The graphics are consistent and pleasant to the eye, and I loved the witty dialogues (well, monologues). Great job.
[close]
The Summoned
Spoiler
It was obvious that it wasn't a full product and there was not much there in the puzzle department, but the dialogues were fun and honestly, the final scene with the demon was the moment I enjoyed the most - it was hilarious.
[close]
I voted for
Spoiler
Escape Literature. A really impressive effort that does not feel rushed or unfinished in the slightest, and the concept is a winner in itself.
[close]

Spoiler
On a side note, I didn't manage to get my entry attempt anywhere near the state worth releasing (it's basically all graphics and no gameplay...  :-[) so I thought I'd at least leave a screenshot here as a minor contribution to this month's awesome theme.

[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/NjtRPxN/aw-ss1909.png[/imgzoom]
(Creamy might recognize the concept ;))
[close]

Durq

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 03/10/2019 22:13:16

Spoiler
On a side note, I didn't manage to get my entry attempt anywhere near the state worth releasing (it's basically all graphics and no gameplay...  :-[) so I thought I'd at least leave a screenshot here as a minor contribution to this month's awesome theme.

[imgzoom]https://i.ibb.co/NjtRPxN/aw-ss1909.png[/imgzoom]
(Creamy might recognize the concept ;))
[close]
Very nice artwork! Are you planning to finish making the game anyway?

Kastchey

Thanks! I am, yes. Probably not in the nearest future, but I like the concept well enough to be confident I will want to revisit it at some point.

Stupot

Well done to Reiter.
Escape Literature is the winner of MAGS September. You will be contacted soon about choosing a theme for November.

Cassiebsg

Oh rats, been so busy that I completely forgot about this.  :-[

Congrats to Reiter! :)

Hope to get to play both games soon as I get less busy.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Reiter

Oho! An unexpected development, but I am happy nonetheless. Hurrah for me!

Glad to hear that it was a fun game, and a tolerable apprentice-work.

Indeed, I had heard of the popular alchemy 'mix-em-up'-games, and I am quite fond of the idea.

Now, the chief trouble I had in regards to the puzzles is that I could not think of a way to discourage the player from simply rubbing anything on everything, other than some delightful Sierra deaths. Those were planned, until I had to cut the length of the game. After that, it simply seemed cruel to introduce them to a five minute game. A rather tricky business, one that I will keep in mind.

Thank you all for your thoughts on the game, and above all for playing! I do feel that I may get the hang of this yet.

Stupot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk