MAGS October "Kids" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/10/2019 04:36:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite MAGS game of October?

Paper Planes by Creamy
3 (42.9%)
Desmond: The 'Thing' from Another World by Slasher
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Fri 15/11/2019 11:06:44

Stupot

Thanks for the entries for MAGS October.

The winner is: Desmond: The 'Thing' from Another World by Slasher

Paper Planes
by Creamy

Desmond: The Thing from Another World
by Slasher

Topic: Kids
Chosen by cat, Marcin K and CaptainD
Deadline: October 31st

Make a game where children play an important role.

• The player character can be a kid but doesn't have to be.
  • The game can be made for children or for adults.
  • It can be funny and lighthearted or dark and depressing, even horror is fine!

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Cassiebsg

Oh... love the theme already!  :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Great, now the theme to the Pippi Longstocking movie is stuck in my head.

Since the turnout for last month was so low, I will consider making a game after all. Maybe I'll give another try at making a game based on 80s kid horror movies...

Okay, fine. So it was actually a song by The Black Ingvars. Which I have no clue the lyrics of due to not knowing Swedish...

Edit: Would it be okay to use the framing device I considered for May as long as everything else about the story is new?

Mandle

Been having an awesome fun time today drawing out the street map of a certain little fictional town in Maine for my project: Being Pennywise.

Slasher

I like kids... Couldn't eat more than 1 though  (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 02/10/2019 10:54:37
I like kids... Couldn't eat more than 1 though  (laugh)

You'll float two!

heltenjon

Vampire Wombat - I can probably translate it for you if you tell me what song it is.

VampireWombat

So, the plan is to split up the game to have 3 different main stories in a different style. Due to watching Mom's Got a Date With a Vampire and My Mom's A Werewolf yesterday, the first story is going to be My Best Friend's A Werewolf.

Mandle - Ooo, an eldritch abomination simulator? Sounds fun.

heltenjon - Här Kommer Pippi Långstrump seems to be the full title. By Black Ingvars.

DBoyWheeler

Maybe a possibility is a hero rescuing kids.  Oh the possibilities with this theme!

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Wed 02/10/2019 14:00:13
Mandle - Ooo, an eldritch abomination simulator? Sounds fun.

Beep Beep, Vampy!!!

heltenjon

Here is the translation, VW:

Have you seen my monkey,
My beautiful cute little monkey
Have you seen Mr Nilson
Yes that is really his name
Have you seen my villa
My Villa Villekullevilla
Do you do you want to know
Why the villa is called that?
It's because there lives Pippi Long Stockings,
Tjolahopp tjolahej tjolahoppsan-sa (basically nonsense words a la tralala)
There lives Pippi Long Stockings
Yes, there I actually live
It is not bad
I have (a) monkey, (a) horse and (a) villa
A bag full of money
Is also good to have
Come now, all friends
Everyone I know
Now we will have fun
Tjolahej etc.
Here comes Pippi Long Stockings
Tjolahopp etc.
Here comes Pippi Long Stockings
Here I really/actually come

(Pippi is the girl with red hair in the middle of the graphics presenting the theme in this thread.)

VampireWombat

I now have a basic idea for all but one of the stories. I'm leaning towards something sci fi, perhaps with an alien.

heltenjon: Thanks. They definitely don't sound as good in English. Which probably explains why the lyrics from the American movie are what's in my head.

Mandle

Wait, was Pippi Longstockings dubbed into English from German? I never realized when I was a kid I guess.

Slasher

I have an idea or two brewing  (roll)

I feel a musical coming on  (laugh)

VampireWombat: Sci fi? Alien?  Hope we don't clash  (laugh)

If I can spare a few days I may be able to enter this month...   (nod)

Cassiebsg

Actually, Pippi is Swedish, so more likely it was dubbed from Swedish to English.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

The American movie was my first exposure to Pippi Longstocking, since it came out when I was a kid. So no dubbing was required. Then at some later point I saw the tv series/movies made from the series. And a few weeks ago I watched the first episode of the animated series...

Slasher - Alien: The musical? Inspired by the diner scene from Spaceballs, perhaps?
And it's doubtful our ideas would clash unless yours are influenced by Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Goosebumps, The 90s Outer Limits, Spaced Invaders, Super 8, etc.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 03/10/2019 11:40:36
Actually, Pippi is Swedish, so more likely it was dubbed from Swedish to English.  ;)

Well, obviously "heltenjon - Här Kommer Pippi Långstrump" printed clearly above is Swedish!

What kind of an idiot would mistake that for German?

What?

Slasher

Mandle: Someone who does not know Swedish or German  (laugh)

Anyhow, my entry is underway and it includes my granddaughter  (laugh)

"It was a hot summers evening and the stars were very bright.
So bright that nobody noticed streaks of light flying across the night sky.
Peter and Cathy are out playing as they often are, oblivious to what was just about to occur.".

DESMOND

VampireWombat

To make sure I don't run out of time again, I'm going to be making the game with dummy graphics before importing any of my own. So I will start programming today.

Slasher - The alien is named Desmond? And it sings and dances? I'm now imagining a mix of aliens from Chewy: Escape From F5, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure with E.T. and the chestburster from Spaceballs.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 04/10/2019 14:21:13
Slasher - The alien is named Desmond? And it sings and dances? I'm now imagining a mix of aliens from Chewy: Escape From F5, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure with E.T. and the chestburster from Spaceballs.

Argh!!! Reference level has passed 8999!!! I canna hold her, Colonel!!! I'm disolving... DIIISSOOOLLVVIIING!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk