MAGS October "Kids" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/10/2019 04:36:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite MAGS game of October?

Paper Planes by Creamy
3 (42.9%)
Desmond: The 'Thing' from Another World by Slasher
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Fri 15/11/2019 11:06:44

Slasher

Slasher

Mario is missing Luigi since he walked out on him...

Mandle

I think the real trick in doing a good "Choose Your Own Adventure" book or game is to be sure to be fair and consistent.

I always hate it when the "safe" choice gets you killed, or when the story totally shifts to different genres depending on your choices.

The old book "By Balloon To The Sahara" did the latter and it still annoys me... How does the choice to hide from nomad bandits (or not) result in the story being all about rescuing a princess (or suddenly battling aliens?!)

DISCLAIMER: COMMENTS BASED ON MY MEMORY FROM YEARS AGO.

VampireWombat

Now I want to do completely off the rails tangents...

Thanks. Now I know what to do with the 2nd story.

Slasher

Has anyone else got anything to show or tell about their entry?

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 20/10/2019 11:58:08

I think mine is shelved... I just started to get too creeped out by what I was making.

At first, the idea of playing the villain from a horror movie sounded fun, but then, around the time I started importing kids' photos for the character profiles I started to have a bad feeling.

Even though I decided to switch to cartoony portraits for the kids I started worrying about the kinds of people who might find the game and, ahem, enjoy playing the role of the stalker and killer of children a bit too much.

So, if I ever do anything with it, I will switch the role of the player to the kids fighting against Pennywise, which would be a lot more work than I will have time for this month.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 20/10/2019 11:58:08
Not really. I tried to work on some sprites on my Kindle yesterday, but it only further proved that all of my drawing skills are with a mouse. I have watched enough stuff this last week to cobble together most of the My Best Friend Is A Werewolf segment at least. I will probably re-watch The Willies today or tomorrow to help with tying things together.

Creamy

QuoteSo, if I ever do anything with it, I will switch the role of the player to the kids fighting against Pennywise, which would be a lot more work than I will have time for this month.
Doesn't it make you redo the whole game?

QuoteHas anyone else got anything to show or tell about their entry?
Mine is playable but unfinished. I won't be home next week-end so I'll probably post it this wednesday.

Mandle

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 20/10/2019 20:44:03
QuoteSo, if I ever do anything with it, I will switch the role of the player to the kids fighting against Pennywise, which would be a lot more work than I will have time for this month.
Doesn't it make you redo the whole game?

Not really. Most of the assets I created like the town map, the animations and GUIs, could still be used.

Slasher

Mandle
Not really. Most of the assets I created like the town map, the animations and GUIs, could still be used.
Well, I think if it's a game about kids, but aimed at an adult audience then go with your original idea and give a right scare horror... But of it's aimed at a kids audience then you need to tone it down and adjust to kids... Kids like the occasional scare, if it's handled right...

Go with your gut instinct  (laugh)

Mandle

I might be back in with a new entry:

Throw Some Crud On It

Creamy

Here's my entry:

DOWNLOAD

It's based on Crimson Wizard's source code for Last & Furious but it's not a racing game.

The replies for the bad choices are not implemented yet. I won't be able to return to the game before the end of the month.

VampireWombat

Ah good, there is one complete game. Mine isn't as far as hoped. Headaches with photosensitivity and a freak snowstorm kind of threw things off for me this week. The second story will probably have to use an urban legend as a base like the first one so that I can focus on My Best Friend Is A Werewolf.

Slasher

Hi,

My entry is done and is being tested.

Unfortunately, my grandaughter has not been able to do all her lines so I had to do them.. I'm disappointed but none the less I have kept it the same and used another boy.... and the story remains as a kids sci-fi epic, with singing ;)

"It was a hot summers evening and the stars were very bright.
So bright that nobody noticed streaks of light flying across the night sky.
Peter and Jimmy are out playing, as they often are, oblivious to what was just about to occur.".

Slasher

Ladies and err....Gentleman

The 'Thing' from another world!

"It was a hot summers' evening and the stars were very bright.
So bright that nobody noticed streaks of light flying across the night sky.
Peter and Jimmy are out playing, as they often are, oblivious to what was just about to occur."

A sci-fi adventure begins for kids Peter and Jimmy when something out-of-this-world lands only feet away!
What is it? Why is it here? What does it want?

Find out in this Kid's sci-fi epic titled Desmond:The 'Thing' from another world!

Be aware... there is some singing  (laugh)

Music by Eric Matyas.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2376/

Resolved a couple of previous issues (30/10/19)...

VampireWombat

Since I can't make a worthwhile game, I'm not going to push myself to complete something mediocre again. So, I'm dropping out.
Good luck to anyone else still working on a game.

Slasher

Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 29/10/2019 21:01:22
Since I can't make a worthwhile game, I'm not going to push myself to complete something mediocre again. So, I'm dropping out.
Good luck to anyone else still working on a game.

Awww  :~(

Creamy: You will need to pull your finger out  (laugh)

I do hope others pull through with a knockout game  (nod)

Mandle

Yeah, I'm out... Too busy making Jurassic Park Halloween Party for a bunch of kids...

Creamy

QuoteSince I can't make a worthwhile game, I'm not going to push myself to complete something mediocre again. So, I'm dropping out.
Maybe you just don't have the time to make a game on your own in one month. IMO, two of your MAGS games (Mystery Meat Mayhem and the Summoned) end when they should take off.

QuoteCreamy: You will need to pull your finger out
Perhaps I wasn't clear. My game is done.

QuoteToo busy making Jurassic Park Halloween Party for a bunch of kids...
You're living the theme then.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 30/10/2019 15:27:04
Maybe you just don't have the time to make a game on your own in one month. IMO, two of your MAGS games (Mystery Meat Mayhem and the Summoned) end when they should take off.
Yes, that's why I decided to move on from MAGS for the most part. Something always happens where I can't make a decent game. And most attempts working with someone else didn't go so well...
But working on them has been good practice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk