MAGS October "Kids" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/10/2019 04:36:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is your favourite MAGS game of October?

Paper Planes by Creamy
3 (42.9%)
Desmond: The 'Thing' from Another World by Slasher
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Fri 15/11/2019 11:06:44

Slasher

Creamy: Your Download link fails...

VampireWombat: It could be that you aim to do too much and that is where the trouble may start....  Even if you only made 2 rooms and put in quite a bit of game content with a good story line and with a few puzzles that would still be classed as a game.  You can do it if you keep within a frame of possibility and within the time limit  (nod)
I may also enter next MAG and I'm always up to lending a helping hand with others' game...

VampireWombat

I think I'm just better off working on games without the restraints of MAGS. Like making the Massimo and Twitch Christmas Adventure game that I failed to make last year.

Creamy

QuoteYour Download link fails...
It should work now.

Stupot

Thanks for the entries for MAGS October.
Here they are for your voting pleasure.
Vote using the poll above.

Paper Planes
by Creamy

Desmond: The Thing from Another World
by Slasher

Please let me know if I've missed anything.

And check out November's topic, "cloud".

Shadow1000

I just voted. Some thoughts:

Paper Planes
Spoiler
I really like the graphic and creativity behind this dream-like world. What a great idea! I flew the airplane around for a while till I felt that I didn't see any goal or gameplay and then quite the game. I think the strength is the environment
[close]

Desmond
Spoiler
More of a traditional puzzle-solver. I only was able to identify two puzzles and they seemed to have been solved by hit and miss. I do understand the constraints of the deadline though! This one got my vote because it had more gameplay to it
[close]

Good job on both entries!

Slasher

I have to agree with Shadow1000.

I think Paper Planes shows a great concept but very little content. I also spent, on several occasions, about 18 minutes trying to find the goal and unless I am missing the point I felt there was nothing to be achieved.  Creamy could, with time, turn this game into something really unique.

Creamy

QuoteI think Paper Planes shows a great concept but very little content. I also spent, on several occasions, about 18 minutes trying to find the goal and unless I am missing the point I felt there was nothing to be achieved. 
Then I'll provide more guidance in the next version:
Spoiler
Try to approach the leaking fountain pens
[close]

I've finished Slasher's game.

Nice dialogs. I like when it's getting musical (even if I'd rather have the music match the melodies).
The graphics are average. They aren't neat or well animated but do the job.
The puzzles are the weak point for me. Ultimately they're a matter of trial and error, which tends to annoy me. But they weren't that difficult either.
All in all an OK game, especially considering that you're busy with Maelstrom Obscura.

And my vote goes to:
Spoiler
the ballot box
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 03/11/2019 09:24:52
QuoteI think Paper Planes shows a great concept but very little content. I also spent, on several occasions, about 18 minutes trying to find the goal and unless I am missing the point I felt there was nothing to be achieved. 
Then I'll provide more guidance in the next version:
Spoiler
Try to approach the leaking fountain pens
[close]

I downloaded again and tried that.
Spoiler
I collided with one and there was a little bounce
[close]
What do I do next?

Mandle

I managed to get "Curious" written on my paper plane but couldn't figure out how that affected anything.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 03/11/2019 15:13:18
I managed to get "Curious" written on my paper plane but couldn't figure out how that affected anything.

Same...

Creamy

Spoiler
Once your paper plane is written, you need to :
- find the correct picture that matches the word on your plane
- land on it (spacebar).

Rinse and repeat.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 03/11/2019 17:09:52
Spoiler
Once your paper plane is written, you need to :
- find the correct picture that matches the word on your plane
- land on it (spacebar).

Rinse and repeat.
[close]

What an absolutely ingenious idea!
Spoiler
my understanding is that the plane is going through the different phases and challenges of childhood that shapes people as adults
[close]
. Honestly, this game really stands out in the thinking behind it and the polish.

There is a balance when creating a game between not disclosing too much of the gameplay so it's not just a walkthrough, and giving away enough so players get stuck. Unfortunately, it seems that so far the players who tried this one, myself included, ended up being clued out until it was pretty much a giveaway. I wonder if some tweaking to the instructions would make a big difference. Or, you can just tell the player from the get-go what the idea was and allow him/her to explore and discover as I did. Personally, I had a really good experience once I got the idea even though it was basically given away.

Well done

cat

@Creamy: Lovely idea. Though I didn't understand what to do without reading the spoilers, either.
On the title screen, I thought the explanation meant that the feature of landing needs to be written (i.e. it is not in the game, yet)
Maybe you could change the text to "Where it matches" or "Where appropriate"

@Slasher:
Spoiler
Is there a hint for the number puzzle somewhere or do I have to try all combinations?
[close]

Creamy

Thanks Shadow and Cat  :)

QuoteUnfortunately, it seems that so far the players who tried this one, myself included, ended up being clued out until it was pretty much a giveaway. I wonder if some tweaking to the instructions would make a big difference.
Feedback when you press the spacebar should help hopefully.
Spoiler
A crossed out drop of ink when the plane is blank. Different lines of dialog when the wrong picture is chosen.
[close]

QuoteOn the title screen, I thought the explanation meant that the feature of landing needs to be written (i.e. it is not in the game, yet)
Maybe you could change the text to "Where it matches" or "Where appropriate"
I hadn't thought of that. "Where appropriate" sounds good.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 03/11/2019 22:44:38
Thanks Shadow and Cat  :)

QuoteUnfortunately, it seems that so far the players who tried this one, myself included, ended up being clued out until it was pretty much a giveaway. I wonder if some tweaking to the instructions would make a big difference.
Feedback when you press the spacebar should help hopefully.
Spoiler
A crossed out drop of ink when the plane is blank. Different lines of dialog when the wrong picture is chosen.
[close]

I don't think I made myself clear.

Once the general idea was explained, I was able to figure it out from the feedback and so on. But until then, I just flew around an airplane till I felt there was no game here and gave up. I think this was the consensus of the other players as well.

Slasher

Sometimes what we know we think others do to... This is not always the case....

But some kind of hint at the beginning would at least give a direction...

Cat... It's an old type of puzzle... keep trying the numbers... One will put you through  (laugh)

cat

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 03/11/2019 22:44:38
Spoiler
[close]
Is this what happens or just an idea how to improve it? Because in the version I downloaded neither happens.
Spoiler

Btw, what is the green cube supposed to be? Why do I have to colour the plane green before I can write on it?
[close]

Creamy

It's how I intend to improve the game when the MAGS competition is over. But I'll try to think of other clues.

Spoiler
The cube is just there for fun. You don't have to use it. Its color can be changed by pressing the spacebar.
[close]

cat

Quote from: Creamy on Mon 04/11/2019 21:17:54
Spoiler
The cube is just there for fun. You don't have to use it. Its color can be changed by pressing the spacebar.
[close]
Spoiler

Ah, I didn't realise that. It felt a bit out of place, tbh. Maybe a paint bucket or big color splash would fit more nicely in the concept.
[close]

@Slasher
I finished the game.
The singing and rapping was fun, I wasn't expecting that. The sound quality of the recordings was rather bad, though. Maybe you should get a new microphone (probably even a 15â,¬ headset will do). The recipe and garbage puzzle were okay, but I hated the phone puzzle.

Two very different games this month, both fitting the topic very well!

I voted for
Spoiler
Paper Planes - there is room for improvements, but I love the concept.
[close]

Slasher

QuoteCat:  I finished the game.
The singing and rapping was fun, I wasn't expecting that. The sound quality of the recordings was rather bad, though. Maybe you should get a new microphone (probably even a 15â,¬ headset will do). The recipe and garbage puzzle were okay, but I hated the phone puzzle.
This game was made with my granddaughter and so not too difficult. I only have laptop built-in mic so the quality was not high. The game was put together fairly quickly. Finding the 4 numbered telephone from 4 numbers is not exactly that bad and I have seen it quite a few times... What did you expect?

While Creamy's entry was a good concept it was unfulfilling until he explained more about it by having to give further info... without it who actually completed it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk