If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers

Started by Laura Hunt, Thu 03/10/2019 06:23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

javixblack

Woooooow, it look beautiful! Just a silly and obvious question... it will be a commercial game?

Slasher

When do you expect a release?

The game looks brilliant and I want to play it now  (laugh)

Great work...

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 30/05/2020 13:38:36
When do you expect a release?

The game looks brilliant and I want to play it now  (laugh)

Great work...

Thanks! We're aiming for an October-November release, but that's what we said last year, so who knows :D

Yanek_Crispbread

This looks absolutely fantastic. Beautiful art.
Correlation is not causation.

WHAM

Hadn't checked in on the GiP board in a while and the first thing I see is this gem in the making!
A rare and quite unusual choice of perspective gives the art a unique look, and I really like the atmosphere on display here. Character design and animation is a prime example of how much can be done with very little in the way of pixel count.

Definitely keeping an eye out for this for when it comes out, and I wish all the best in the project!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Grim

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Grim on Tue 09/06/2020 00:14:31
What a lovely looking game ;)

Oh thank you! :) The Cat Lady is one of my all-time favourite games, and one of the first that showed me it was possible to tackle serious themes such as depression or suicide in video games, which in turn motivated me to start fiddling with AGS. So thanks for the compliment and the motivation!

FireFlower

Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

Laura Hunt

We have a proper main menu at last!

The parallax effect (using Ali's Smooth Scrolling & Parallax module) is a bit jerky because of the reduced gif framerate, but it should give an idea of how it'll look in-game :)

Crimson Wizard

I see you are definite to make your game as cinematic as possible :)

Kastchey

This looks simply stunning. Your tiny 2 man team never ceases to amaze!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 25/06/2020 18:28:55
I see you are definite to make your game as cinematic as possible :)

At this point, I'm sure that making a movie would have been easier :-D

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 25/06/2020 18:32:10

Ahem, 2 person team, if you don't mind :P

(Thank you! <3)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 26/06/2020 20:07:19
Awesome! Love the menu!  :-D

Thanks! Looks nicer than those ugly grey buttons you guys had to deal with when testing it, that's for sure! :-D

Kastchey

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 25/06/2020 18:42:51
Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 25/06/2020 18:32:10

Ahem, 2 person team, if you don't mind :P

(Thank you! <3)
I obviously meant it as a general term but yes, now that I think of it, you're absolutely right. That is a stupidly sexist wording...

milkanannan

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sun 12/04/2020 05:44:14
Quote from: javixblack on Sun 12/04/2020 02:34:50
Woooooow, it look beautiful! Just a silly and obvious question... it will be a commercial game?

Nope! It will be 100% free.

Great news for cheapskates like me := but just out of curiosity ~ why go this route? The project looks professional and your team has logged so much time, why not explore the e-commerce side of platforms like Steam and make a few bucks off of it? Might bridge you into a rewarding new career.

Hobo

That main menu looks very smooth and impressive even in the .gif format. I'm really loving the overall polish and attention to detail that oozes from everything you've posted in this thread. It's also interesting to finally see an outside shot, I think I've only seen indoors scenes so far.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: milkanannan on Sat 27/06/2020 11:58:55
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sun 12/04/2020 05:44:14
Nope! It will be 100% free.

Great news for cheapskates like me := but just out of curiosity ~ why go this route? The project looks professional and your team has logged so much time, why not explore the e-commerce side of platforms like Steam and make a few bucks off of it? Might bridge you into a rewarding new career.

- Because monetizing your hobbies is the best way to guarantee that you'll end up hating them. I've always drawn a line between what I do to pay the bills, and what I do because I love it. The day I have to force myself to spend 12 hours coding in order to meet a deadline is the day my interest in game development will die.

- Because money is not the only reward for something into which you've put effort, passion and time. Getting paid for a gig was always nice because it meant free pizza and weed, but it never compared to people walking up to me and saying that my music had touched and inspired them in some way.

- Because I don't need the money (although that's not quite the case anymore now that I'm unemployed, but whatever) but many other indie devs do. This way, our game won't take away from other studios' potential earnings, as people won't have to choose whether to spend their money on IOAWN4T or something else. They can have both!

- Because it gives me the chance to be like "oh, you didn't like it? Alright, here's your money ba... OH WAIT LOL". I'm just mean like that. (j/k)

Note that this is only *my* position and that Thomas actually believed we should release it on a pay-what-you-want basis (which is not really possible anyway because of the NC-CC licensed music I've used), so if/when we do another game together it probably won't be free despite my reservations. But fair is fair, and since we've gone my way on this occasion, I'm willing to do it his way next.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk