If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers

Started by Laura Hunt, Thu 03/10/2019 06:23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben X

This whole game looks very impressive, and that train shot is especially dope! How did you make that, it feels like maybe a 3D scene (or at least one with some 3D elements) that has then been 2Dified?

Laura Hunt

The music for the main menu is pretty much done, so I get to show some of my own work for a change :) Next step is finding an actual human violinist to play the violin parts!

arj0n

Impressive intro scene, love the four masks (assuming these are masks)

Click'd

Unless Kastchey misspelled his own name on the forums, there's a typo in the credits. But who knows, could be intentional.

Kastchey

If it was intentional, it wouldn't have been the first time  (roll)

Matti

Loving every update. I'm really looking forward to the game!

You're obviously putting a lot of effort and attention to detail into this and I think it will pay off well  :)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Kastchey on Mon 29/06/2020 20:16:23
If it was intentional, it wouldn't have been the first time  (roll)

Of course it wasn't intentional! I was using an, erm, archaic transcription from Cyrillic and got them mixed up, rookie mistake, ahem. (fixed)

Quote from: Matti on Mon 29/06/2020 20:28:34
Loving every update. I'm really looking forward to the game!

You're obviously putting a lot of effort and attention to detail into this and I think it will pay off well  :)

Thank you and I hope so! I'm having the WORST case of writer's block right now and everything I come up with feels like trash, so I appreciate the encouragement :)

Kastchey

If it wasn't intentional it wouldn't have been the first time, either :>

Creamy

For a while, I also misread your name for:
Spoiler
[close]

Gorgeous title screen. Because the train goes so fast, I was expecting a more energetic song. Not that I dislike it  :)

heltenjon

A sad song accompanying an unstoppable train hurling through a bleak winter landscape. What a great and sadly beautiful way to make a contract with the player before the game has even started!  (nod)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Kastchey on Mon 29/06/2020 20:58:20

This I get, it's easy to make a typo. But... why would someone misspell your nickname on purpose? Just to be annoying?

Quote from: Creamy on Mon 29/06/2020 22:58:49
Gorgeous title screen. Because the train goes so fast, I was expecting a more energetic song. Not that I dislike it  :)

It was a tough decision! I tried a lot of different stuff, some more energetic, some more sinister, but ultimately I wanted the music to contrast with the visuals, rather than reinforce them. I think it makes for a more interesting mood :)

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 29/06/2020 23:48:11
A sad song accompanying an unstoppable train hurling through a bleak winter landscape. What a great and sadly beautiful way to make a contract with the player before the game has even started!  (nod)

Click'd

Quite fitting for the train imagery, I seem to have derailed the thread. Sorry.

Kastchey

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Tue 30/06/2020 04:30:14
Quote from: Kastchey on Mon 29/06/2020 20:58:20
This I get, it's easy to make a typo. But... why would someone misspell your nickname on purpose? Just to be annoying?
*Looks in Mandle's general direction*  (roll)

ukz530

The title screen and music are so cool!

I like this style. awesome!  :)

Laura Hunt

when everyone you have ever loved is finally gone
when everything you have ever wanted is finally done with
when all of your nightmares are for a time obscured
as by a shining brainless beacon
or a blinding eclipse of the many terrible shapes of this world
when you are calm and joyful
and finally entirely alone
then in a great new darkness
you will finally execute your special plan

Act III, "The Nameless Ritual" is underway. Pray for Dr. Jordan Samuels' soul.

(Please excuse the usual grainy .gif colours, obviously this does not represent final in-game quality.)

Laura Hunt

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/ezy33KL.png[/imgzoom]

May 2019 vs. July 2020. Oh, how far we've come.

This first version was a quick sketch so I could experiment with implementing an isometric perspective in AGS, but more than a year later, a lot of the elements have ended up finding their way into the final version. Bit of an improvement, I'd say!

Anyway, here's the playlist we've been using to get in the mood for Dr. Samuels' adventures, in case anybody is curious as to what direction the music will take in this act: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6xZnkp3bI626WTx28j4zUb?si=KF0OKdQsQnCUnw03o0CyIQ. Unlike acts I and II, in which the soundtrack was made up of classical music pieces and Irving Berlin songs, act III will feature a series of dark-industrial-ritual-ambient pieces created by yours truly!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk