Author Topic: Cyberpunk '97 -Episode 1- A claustrophobic look into the future of the 80's  (Read 325 times)

Inspired by pretty much every piece of cyberpunk media comes Cyberpunk '97!  Explore a new, yet familiar future where corporations run everything and everyone is miserable!

https://imgur.com/a/RacM5ol

The idea struck me while making a mod for doom 2 (can you tell?)  While that mod is dead in the water, this is alive and well!

This will be a three episode story, with the first and third stories being more narrative-driven and the second-one being more open-ended.
Episode 1 is currently around 30% complete and the demo is in a more or less playable state.  Check it out at https://axelord1942.itch.io/cyberpunk-97episode-1-demo  :-D

You play as a survivor of one of the recent megaquakes and have relocated to a new city with no job, no money and no friends.  You will struggle overcoming (or ignoring) the trauma
that led you where you are as you use your wits to get ahead in this unforgiving world.  Will you be a law-abiding Citizen? Or will you adopt less scrupulous tactics, stealing and hacking your way
to the good life?  Will you choose to uncover the secrets of the world's third-largest corporation?  Hell, if you want to forego all that intrigue and just get a job; do it!

Current planned features that are in development but missing in current build:

-ExtraNet: The world will be full of extranet domain addresses that the player will be to look up on their Personal Electronic Assistant.
-Hunger: You gotta eat.
-Simple skill system: Rigging (low-tech engineering), Streetwise, Subterfuge and Security.
-Playing as a woman not finished yet, may crash game.

The workflow on this thing is stupid but I, for one reason or another, am quite pleased with this monstrosity...I just hope someone else finds something to like here!
Right now I would suggest not using the Personal Electronic Assistant as it is currently undergoing an overhaul.  For now just use the "R" key to bring up a recipe list once it is charged.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2019, 15:10 by Axelord1942 »
You have been eaten by a Gru

Deabriel

• I'm a freelance designer. I really love pixel art.
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with characters
    • I can help with making music
    • I can help with play testing
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with web design
I'm curious if this will going to be commercial or not. Because if it is, the title background screen is from the game Murder by Peter Moorhead, and you will receive a C&D.

After than that, it's interesting, good luck with your project.

I'm curious if this will going to be commercial or not. Because if it is, the title background screen is from the game Murder by Peter Moorhead, and you will receive a C&D.

After than that, it's interesting, good luck with your project.

I have no intentions of making this commercial; I've created a bunch of assets myself but the rest are all borrowed from various sources.  Most of the textures are from Duke Nukem 3d, Doom 2 and Shadow Warrior.

Thanks for taking a look!

The guys face on the ID with the hand "check in" needs to be blured. It's to sharp, it jumps out of the image and looks bad.
Other then that i have nothing to say rather then good luck! :)

The guys face on the ID with the hand "check in" needs to be blured. It's to sharp, it jumps out of the image and looks bad.
Other then that i have nothing to say rather then good luck! :)

Thanks for the tip! I'll go ahead and run the layer through a filter.  (laugh)

best of luck! You can never have enough cyberpunk. :)