Background Blitz: Middle Ages - RESULTS

Started by lorenzo, Wed 09/10/2019 16:59:45

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo

Jack: I'll close the competition tomorrow morning. Hopefully, that should give you enough time to finish your entry! :)

Blondbraid: I love your colour choices, they give the image a great autumnal feeling! Such a nice background.

Blondbraid

Quote from: lorenzo on Sat 26/10/2019 11:00:30
Blondbraid: I love your colour choices, they give the image a great autumnal feeling! Such a nice background.
Thank you so much! I figured the colors would fit the season.  :)

Jack

lorenzo

Lovely background, Jack! It was well worth the wait. :)

TIME TO VOTE!

Entries

Mandle

WHAM

Alan v.Drake

Kastchey

Flugeldufel
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/rLMhO7w.png[/imgzoom]

Cassiebsg
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/crHj.png[/imgzoom]

Blondbraid

Jack

Voting categories:

• Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
  • Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
  • Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Voting ends on the 2nd of November 2019.

Jack

Concept: Mandle
Playability: Flugeldufel
Artistic Execution: Alan v.Drake

Creamy

Concept: Flugeldufel Looks like a lost gem.
Playability: WHAM. We clearly need to get in.
Artistic Execution: Alan v.Drake. The washed out colors remind me of Guard Duty by Chicky.

Nice sceneries overall.

In Cassie's pic, the perspective of the gate doesn't match the pediment IMO.

cat

Concept: Kastchey Beautiful composition and not the usual boring and stereotypical scenery
Playability: Flugeldufel Lots of exits and stuff to interact with, easy perspective the does not require much character scaling
Artistic Execution: Blondbraid Great atmosphere and colors

Kastchey

Concept: Mandle because Seussian art is cool.
Playability: Flugeldufel because it simply doesn't get more playable than this.
Artistic execution: That was a REALLY tough one but I decided to go for Blondbraid because of the lovely colours. Jack and Alan v.Drake were both close runner-ups.

Choices made, I must say I love every single entry in this edition and the variety of techniques.

cat

Can I suggest a change in voting categories for the next competition?

I think
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?
should be split into two categories:

Atmosphere: Does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?
Artistic Execution: How well is the background done within the chosen style?

The first one is the immediate impression I get from a background (colors, composition, overall feeling), the second one is the beauty I see on closer inspection (brushstrokes, pixel placement, attention to detail)

(an additional category would also allow for honouring one more game ;) )

Blondbraid

It was a hard choice, but:

Concept: Mandle I just love the swirly clouds
Playability: Alan v.Drake I see so many things I'd want to interact with
Artistic Execution: Alan v.Drake great colors, atmosphere and lots of details

Cassiebsg

Concept: Kastchey
Playability: Wham
Artistic Execution: Jack (with Alan v.Drake a millisecond behind)

@Creamy, I know.  :-[ I was trying to fix the picture distortion (I used a pic as base) and then run out of both time and patience... in the end I figured it didn't matter anyway, since it was just for the fun of participating.  ;) :-D Now go and make a present for Roger! He's so sad that nobody come to his party.  :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Concept: Kastchey So different and so much potential!
Playability: WHAM. My 3D character walking around this 2.5D background demanded this vote!
Artistic Execution: Alan v. Drake The fog is just too lovely.

Flugeldufel

Concept: Kastchey - I'd love to see this finished.
Playability: Alan v.Drake - I want to play it right now!
Artistic Execution: Alan v.Drake - It's lovely, the style, atmosphere, details, everything.

Unfortunately I can only pick three, they're all great.

lorenzo

RESULTS

1st place: Alan v.Drake! You win a golden helmet!

2nd place: Flugeldufel and Kastchey! You get a silver barbute!

3rd place: Mandle and WHAM! You get a bronze great helm!

Thanks for participating, everyone!

Kastchey

Congrats Alan!

@cat,
I think it's a good idea, atmosphere deserves its own category. We used to run 5 categories at some point in the past anyway :)

Flugeldufel

Congratulations to everyone!

I also like the cat's idea. There are too many good entries and too little categories. It's very hard to choose.

Alan v.Drake

Thanks guys,
I'll come up with a new theme for the next blitz soon.

- Alan

Mandle

Yay!!! I only really drew my background and entered because lorenzo's theme seemed to be garnering little interest at the time and drew my entry in about an hour in an attempt to support the contest... But pleased to tie for 3rd place nonetheless...

A well-deserved win for Alan v.Drake as well... That fog in the archway effect is a lesson in itself on how to do that...

Blondbraid

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk