Doing 3D math in AGS

Started by eri0o, Wed 16/10/2019 23:11:38

Previous topic - Next topic

eri0o

Recently I've been inclined to learn the math that enables doing 3D stuff. In the long past I guess people have looked into it (I found this thread from 2005!), and more recently a very impressive demo was put here...

So I decided to look into what could be done in similar manner, as a module, to help with such endeavors. From a different unreleased, unfinished, project, I cobbled up some code here in this GitHub repository. The README is barely a sketch, I will try to figure out the concepts and put them there as I learn.

You can get math3d.scm here. You can experiment with it.

I could really use some help understanding this stuff, if you have better ideas for the API and things to have, fire up. If you find a bug, please PR on GitHub if you know how to fix.

I intend to provide a triplet vector (which may have a fourth element), quaternions, matrix and helpful transformation functions.

Also I like discussing this and will try to update this thread as I learn. The gif above links to a video showing me playing with a virtual camera.

Jack

eri0o

Thanks Jack! the AGS project can be downloaded here as .zip. Fair warning, expect bugs and me failing to grasp concepts! XD

One cool addition is being able to create a Matrix like this:

Code: ags
Matrix* m = Matrix.CreateFromString("{{4,8},{2,3}}");

eri0o

I had an error in my code for the projection. I fixed.

There's still something wrong there but I could not tell... I updated the demo with a bit more stuff.

I don't know how to project a point in the screen back into the virtual world, so the block following the mouse is not working yet. Added a lamp to indicate the direction the block is facing. hold W to swim in the mouse direction and S to swim against it

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 07/10/2020 02:21:36
I don't know how to project a point in the screen back into the virtual world

Similarily, only using inverse matrix/formulas in reverse order.

eri0o

AH, it must  be the order then! Thanks! I will try to add this next.

KyriakosCH

Yay, this looks great :)
So, how can I use it with the latest AGS?
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk