Trying some hand drawn art (Updated)

Started by Mouth for war, Sat 19/10/2019 00:19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey!

After all this time working in 3D I wanted to take a crack at the good ol' pixel-y stuff (Haven't done that since my god awful Jimmy The troublemaker) What do you think about this WIP? Im trying to achieve a comic book feel to it :-)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Olleh19

I'm not sure i would consider this "pixelart". First of to be considered pixelart, the pixels has to be seen clearly. That can only be done by saving this image and zooming in, as for now. Since there is a lot of brush/anti-aliased strokes in the art itself, the character is aliased completely, the green grass is aliased, tree bushes etc. Try to do the same shadows with dithered colouring (checkerboard pattern forexample) instead and use the brush tool only in photoshop (if that's what you are using). Aside from that, it's a good piece of art for what it is. It's not bad, it's good  :) Maybe i'm a bit anal about this (laugh). Keep it up!

Mouth for war

Haha well you're right about that, I have however drawn everything with the mouse (except the character)but then used some of it as textures in 3d that's why there's some alias stuff going on there :D Thanks for the input though and glad you like it :)

cat

I think you should stick to one style - either the clean pixel lines like the edge of the path, the left tree or the wooden sign, or the soft edges of the right tree and the wall and grass texture. I don't like the mix of styles.

Mouth for war

I know! Like I said, it's a WIP.

Danvzare

Quote from: Olleh19 on Sat 19/10/2019 01:09:45
I'm not sure i would consider this "pixelart".
I agree.
In my opinion, for something to be considered "pixelart" you need to be aware of the position of at least 90% of all of the pixels in the piece. This means the use of tools for antialiasing, as well as copying and pasting to create repeating patterns, all actively work against something being "pixelart".
Also there's a 3D model in the center. So um...

It looks nice. But I wouldn't call it pixelart.
Now as for the overall quality, not taking into account that it's not pixelart.  I don't like the thin partial black outline on the text in the upper left corner. It looks like the text was badly photoshopped from another image.
The 3D model in the center doesn't match in with the rest of the image.
The tree on the left has nice clean lines, while the tree on the right has nice anti-aliased lines. Choose one and stick with it.
The cliff in the upper right corner lacks depth. It kind of looks like you just photoshopped a texture you found on the internet, onto it.
That all being said, it does look nice. And is probably better than anything I could make. But there's a lot of room for improvement.  (nod)

lorenzo

I like the style, I think it looks really nice!

I made a quick paint-over to show the things I would change. I'm not good with pixels, so I just drew over it with a tablet and antialiased brushes.

The grass colour is way too green. I imagine playing the game fullscreen would hurt your eyes after a while. I altered the colour balance to be more red (redder?).

I added a thick outline to the trees, bushes, etc. to make them stand out more.

I liked the style of the foliage on the trees, but it felt too precise, so I made them more random and in different sizes, to give them a more natural look.

The sign should be bigger. At the moment it's easy to miss, being so small and almost of the same colour as the gravel path. By the way, you forgot to add a shadow to the sign! I know, because I forgot to add it to my paint-over, too. (laugh)

I didn't really like the grass turfs, I think they're a bit too big at the moment. A tuft here and there to suggest grass should be enough.

The current rock texture feels out of place. It's too detailed compared to the rest and it looks flat. I simplified it and added some rocks in front of it to make the cliff look less artificial.

I quickly remade the interface, because I didn't really like the original font. I don't think my interface looks that good, but I gave it a try.
(for some reasons I got distracted and put a slider under "Gold" instead of a number. (laugh) Ignore that!)

And probably there's some other stuff I forgot to mention!

All in all, I think the background it's pretty good. It just needs a few tweaks here and there.

Mouth for war

Wow Lorenzo you did some cool stuff there. Thanks! I have redrawn the right tree in your style and that is a lot better :-)
(I will not change my grass though, I just love those straws) haha :-D but toning down the green color might be a good idea yeah.

I guess I'll switch over to antialiased graphics mostly because of the animations. That's allright though, it will still be in the same style

lorenzo

Glad I could be of help! :cheesy:
And I agree that making the background all antialiased is probably the best choice.

Mouth for war

Yeah! Actually I did start out with thicker lines but i didn't like it but when I saw your paintover with those leafy lines on the tree I was just "ok! That's how it should be" So that was really helpful! Thanks a lot :D

fred

I like how everything reads clearly, but think that a more consistent line-style would make the game world feel more coherent. Something that nobody mentioned so far is that if the trees and landscape features cast long shadows, so should the character. Right now, the light source for the character seems to float somewhere directly above it, while the light source for the trees, rocks, and mushroom seems to be relatively low on the horizon, judging by their shadows.

Mouth for war

Here's an updated version. Hope this looks better! Still some non-antialiased stuff there but I'll deal with that eventually. I like the lighting I did on those spruces but I'm not sure if the lighting looks good on that other tree. It'd be awesome if someone could show me some pointers in that case :)

Babar

As long as the overall picture works, I don't really mind clashing 'pixel styles'.

However, your 'flip object to create its shadow' style doesn't work. It kind of warps and messes up how the eyes comprehend the perspective. I'd suggest simply having the area directly at the base of each item (mostly tree trunks for the trees) just shaded to represent the shadow.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Mouth for war

Funny you should say that! I was just thinking about those shadows and that is definitely on my todo list! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk