AGS: Can I Make an RPG with AGS?

Started by TerranRich, Mon 03/05/2004 05:56:47

Previous topic - Next topic

VampireWombat

The thing with rpgs is that the term is kind of vague. There's the Ultima games, the Ultima Underworld games and other dungeon crawlers, there's Japanese RPGs like what RPG Maker is meant to make, there's the isometric type like Planescape Torment/Fallout/Arcanum, there's the Elder Scrolls type, and there's ones like Knights of Pen and Paper 1 & 2.
AGS could work fine for battle systems for some of them, but is ill suited for something like Elder Scrolls (which should be 3d anyway). Turn based battle is the type that AGS is most suited for. I tried it a couple months ago, but ran out of time and didn't know quite enough. I'm fairly certain I could do it now if I had time, though...
Of course you didn't mention what kind of battle you tried to script. But I assume it's real time since you mention fast paced, etc.

Retro Wolf

The hardest part is creating a battle system which is balanced and fun to play. Things get complex when you try to create a formula with a bunch of stats such as strength, speed, luck, stamina etc etc.

I think if I were going to take a crack at it I'd try to keep it as simple as possible, limit it to three character class types and have a rock/paper/scissor kind of thing with bonus damage for every xp level greater than the enemy.

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 27/08/2018 16:08:53
The hardest part is creating a battle system which is balanced and fun to play. Things get complex when you try to create a formula with a bunch of stats such as strength, speed, luck, stamina etc etc.

I think if I were going to take a crack at it I'd try to keep it as simple as possible, limit it to three character class types and have a rock/paper/scissor kind of thing with bonus damage for every xp level greater than the enemy.

Tell me about it. I tried this with my game "Rat Playing Game" and everyone pretty much gave up because it was too hard.

I've replayed the game myself many times and always end up beating it, even though it can take many deaths and reloads to do so.

Balance is hard to find but also an RPG game that you can play through without dying many times and slowly figuring out the best straegy to beat it with is disappointing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk