MAGS November "Cloud" (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/11/2019 10:52:59

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS November?

Night Witches: Women of the Clouds (Slasher)
2 (16.7%)
Night Witch (Blondbraid and Crimson Wizard)
2 (16.7%)
Brothers & Wreckers (Flugeldufel & Creamy)
1 (8.3%)
Jake's Very Last Journey (fernewelten)
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Wed 18/12/2019 13:43:01

Stupot

Topic: Cloud
Set by Reiter

The winner of MAGS November was Fernewelten. Well done :-)

Night Witches: Women of the clouds
by Slasher
Night Witch
by Blondbraid and Crimson Wizard
Brothers & Wreckers
by Flugeldufel & Creamy
Jake's Very Last Journey
by fernewelten

'For the November bout of the MAGS, the topic is Cloud. Gathering storm clouds, serene cirrus clouds, cloudy moods, data clouds, clouds of all sorts. Let your ideas soar to the heavens.

A few text scraps for inspiration?

'Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold'
'All data will be safe for eternity within The Cloud.'
'Cloudy with a chance for Friendship.'
'And in the olive groves upon those pleasant hills did Pliny see his towering Pine Tree.'
'Clouds don't smell bad. They taste of butter! And tears.'

Best of luck, brave aeronauts!'

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Blondbraid

This was an unexpected theme, but I already got some pretty cool inspiration.

However, I'm not sure my technical skills are up to the task, so is there anyone good at programming who'd want to try their hands on making a side-scrolling flying game in AGS?

Slasher

Clouds, Nazi's, heavy music... What a great combo  (laugh)

I have a few ideas swirling around in my head... If I get time I may be able to put something together  (laugh)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 01/11/2019 14:44:20

I have a few ideas swirling around in my head... If I get time I may be able to put something together  (laugh)
Interesting! What do you have in mind?

Slasher

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 01/11/2019 17:32:28

Birds eye view. Up and Down, Left and Right Scrolling. WW2 flying sortie. Targets to destroy (dam, fuel depot etc), being defended by Nazis... Only safe cover are the clouds but then you can't see your targets very well below..Destroy all targets. Get shot down and a backup takes over... Maybe 4 backup aircraft. Nazi's have Anti aircraft guns and a squadron of their own.

Game over when you destroy all targets or your squadron are all destroyed..

just jammin'

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 01/11/2019 17:49:58
Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 01/11/2019 17:32:28

Birds eye view. Up and Down, Left and Right Scrolling. WW2 flying sortie. Targets to destroy (dam, fuel depot etc), being defended by Nazis... Only safe cover are the clouds but then you can't see your targets very well below..Destroy all targets. Get shot down and a backup takes over... Maybe 4 backup aircraft. Nazi's have Anti aircraft guns and a squadron of their own.

Game over when you destroy all targets or your squadron are all destroyed..

just jammin'

You mean like this?

Personally, I thought of something side-scrolling like this:

Because that lets you see more of the sky and the clouds meant to be the theme of this month,
plus it'd be easier to play with mechanics for dropping bombs on the ground and avoid anti-aircraft guns from my view.

Slasher

Yeah, 2nd shot maybe better.. Perhaps twice the length to give L/R scolling and height plus say 200 to give U/D scrolling (clouds as object) to give safe cover..

Do you want to team up?

PM if you do..

cat

Nice topic, but I'm still busy finishing up some other projects.

@Blondbraid, Slasher:
I get some Aeronuts vibes from that! https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1238/

Creamy

QuoteNice topic, but I'm still busy finishing up some other projects.
You said too much or not enough  ;-D
Is it AGS related?

Babar

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE
Sorry for the late notice.
We're doing an hourgame right now (give or take a few min), and the theme was the same theme as this MAGS. GO GO GO!  :=
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Babar

And so there were a lot of very interesting entries, I hope the participants add their games here, or at least tease them like me.

Untitled Cloud Game
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/wvTE.png[/imgzoom]
You can basically tell the entire plot from that screenshot. I'll try working on it more, and post something presentable instead of what I got in 1 hour.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

eri0o

[removed]

Slasher

Slasher

Night Witches by Slasher

"In late 1944 - Russia invades German forces, attacking into East Prussia."
"Stalin has assembled an elite flight squadron of women: he calls the 'Night Witches' to destroy German targets."
"The Night Witches are known for their bravery and their 'hide in the clouds under the cover of darkness' tactic."

Stupot

Nice one Babs. Was it a coincidence that the the for the Jam was ‘cloud' or was that chosen because it was the MAGS theme?

Not too late for more entries, folks 💋

Slasher

Night Witches: Women of the clouds.

by Slasher

"In late 1944 - Russia invades German forces, attacking into East Prussia."
"Stalin has assembled an elite flight squadron of women: he calls the 'Night Witches' to destroy targets vital to the German army and stop them advancing into his Soviet Union."

The Night Witches are known for their bravery and their 'hide in the clouds under the cover of darkness' tactic.

Join in the thrills and spills of World War II action as Stalin enlists he's elite squadron of women fighter pilots, know as the 'Night Witches' to destroy the German advancement into his beloved Soviet Union.

Feel the adrenaline rush and your heart beating fast, as the action heats up as the Germans fire everything they have at you!

Avoid being hit by anti-aircraft shells, Fokker machine guns and bumping into sky bombs as you try to destroy targets that are vital to the German army.

Use your bombs and machine guns to take out targets and destroy the advancing German forces.

Will Stalin's Night Witches mission be successful?

A game that really puts you in the 'cockpit' of action!

99% completed.

Testing starts today  (nod)

Slasher

Night Witches: Women of the clouds.

by Slasher

My entry is now in its test phase  (nod)

Part of scene one

Slasher

Hoping to see more entries... Where are they?

Come on guys, don't be shy  (laugh)

fernewelten

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 22/11/2019 04:18:47
Hoping to see more entries... Where are they?

I might enter a game named, “Jake's very last journey”.
Don't know whether I can pull it off yet.
Here's a screenshot of one of the planned screens:

Slasher

fernewelten:  I do hope you will pull it off.... Work like the clappers and deliver us your goods  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk