Why won't Windows update?

Started by Mouth for war, Wed 13/11/2019 12:52:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey! I know, win 7 is about to be put to sleep soon but for a long time now, i always get "failed" on almost every update. Usually with an error code windows has no info about (can't remember now which code though) I have a legitimate windows 7 and i just have no idea why all important updates are failing so finally I decided to ask here. I use avast antivirus if that is important. Some updates are sometimes succesful but most of them fails so i have no idea what's going on here. Corrupted system/registry files or something?
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

lorenzo

I had the same problem with Windows 7 some years ago. Suddenly, Windows Update stopped working. I tried everything but in the end, I had to reinstall the OS to make it work again.
Not the most encouraging post, I know! (laugh) Probably someone else has a better solution.

Khris

I experienced that on a client's laptop and while you can find various ways to fix that online, nothing I tried did help.
Reinstalling Windows is what I'd do here, and since it's EOL anyway, don't bother.

Just, whatever you do, don't upgrade that shot Win7 to Win10 :P (if even possible)

Mouth for war

Thanks for your answers guys :-) I suspected a reinstall would be the answer. I'll probably migrate to win 10 soon so i'll just let it be for now.

Danvzare

Quote from: Khris on Wed 13/11/2019 13:48:05
Just, whatever you do, don't upgrade that shot Win7 to Win10
Why not?
Would it completely break the computer?

Khris

No, but upgrading a broken install is never a good idea. It might actually work perfectly fine, but if Win 10's update mechanism builds in any way on the existing one, the mess might carry over and probably even lay dormant until months later suddenly Win 10 refuses to install updates. Not worth the risk imo.
Just install Win 10 on a blank partition and copy over your data.

Mouth for war

I'm actually going to get a new rig soon so i guess i"ll leave this as it is for now. Comp has no other problems so a reinstall seems unnecessary now

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk