Itch.io privacy issues

Started by cat, Mon 11/11/2019 18:36:11

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Split off from this thread:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57557.0

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Mon 11/11/2019 11:29:46
(Sorry, I'm not giving out my real address!)
Is the address forwarded to developers or others or is it just stored by itch? I understand your reservations, just wanting to make sure what the situation is.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: cat on Mon 11/11/2019 18:36:11
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Mon 11/11/2019 11:29:46
(Sorry, I'm not giving out my real address!)
Is the address forwarded to developers or others or is it just stored by itch? I understand your reservations, just wanting to make sure what the situation is.

I'm not totally sure. There was something in the wording of the VAT form that made me think that addresses are forwarded to developers, but I might just be paranoid. Still, what better chance to learn The Truth than here and now! :) Captain, Matt, Shaun, or anybody who's sold their games on itch.io, what info exactly do you get from each purchase? Just country? Address? Paypal account?

ManicMatt

I think its just your email addresses, I haven't seen anything else. We're also sworn to not divulge them to anyone! We  wouldn't do that anyway, of course.

Oh and the country is shown, but not the region or anything.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: ManicMatt on Mon 11/11/2019 19:07:30
I think its just your email addresses, I haven't seen anything else. We're also sworn to not divulge them to anyone! We  wouldn't do that anyway, of course.

Yeah, but what if YOU are the stalking, serial-killing creep? Huh? Thought I hadn't thought of that, did you :P

Oh and the country.

That's great to know! I've been extremely reluctant to purchase anything through itch.io so far, but this definitely changes things. Should have asked before ;) Thanks for the info!

ManicMatt

It's interesting to see where in the world your game is selling, my Bishi platform game on Steam sold in all sorts of places I didn't expect like Hong Kong and Poland!

CaptainD

Yeah we don't get your addresses or anything so we can't send round DA BOYZ to make sure you're actually playing our games!  :grin:

lorenzo

Really?! Then can you explain who are these people armed with clubs banging at my door, demanding that I replay Captain Disaster?

CaptainD

Quote from: lorenzo on Mon 11/11/2019 21:42:06
Really?! Then can you explain who are these people armed with clubs banging at my door, demanding that I replay Captain Disaster?

I don't know these people, I've never seen them, and this answer is not rehearsed.

cat

Oh and the country is shown, but not the region or anything.

Wait - every developer where I buy a game on Itch will get my email address?  8-0 Now this I find highly alarming. I was planning to start buying games from Itch and supporting developers there, but this is a no-go for me. Country statistic is okay, but the buyers should be anonymous. That would be like buying a can of beans in the supermarket and the producer gets your data.

morganw

It seems this was the case but it was meant to stop:
https://itch.io/t/222345/gdpr-and-itchio-sellers-questions
I would agree that this isn't acceptable.

CaptainD

This is what Itch has above any list of buyer information:

The private information listed on this table can not be publicly shared, sent to third parties, or used for unsolicited (eg. marketing) emails. We show this information for your records, and if you need to get in touch with someone with an issue specific to their payment. Sharing private information is a violation of our terms and may result in account suspensionq

They have further guidelines here:
https://itch.io/docs/creators/faq#can-share-the-information-itchio-collects-about-my-buyers-publicly-or-with-third-parties

Other than that I can only tell you that in several years of selling on Itch, I have never used anyone's email address, nor have I ever been contacted by a dev whom I bought a game from there.  Obviously if anyone is still uncomfortable about using them that's understandable and there are certainly many other ways to support indie devs!  ;-D

cat

What is the situation on other platforms like Steam or Humble - what information do developers get there?

This is not because I don't trust CaptainD (which I do), but about other developers I might want to buy games from.

CaptainD

I'll have to let others answer as I've not (yet) sold games on Steam or Humble.  It would definitely be interesting to find out.  I will also see if I can find out from the Itch Discord as to whether the change in the thread morganw linked was supposed to happen and for some reason hasn't.  I'm sure Itch themselves don't want to be doing anything that could put off potential customers!

morganw

I asked some people yesterday. itch.io shows the e-mail address for purchases and that includes the casual $2 tip that is offered on the download page. Steam does not reveal any identifier about the buyer, you just know that there was a buyer.

ManicMatt

Although as I said, Steam does tell me what country the buyer is from though, but that's all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk