OS specific download options on game page

Started by cat, Wed 20/11/2019 20:32:36

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

The game DB offers only one main download link and one backup. But now AGS can compile native Linux versions of the game and it is possible to build Android packages.
It would be great to offer specific download links for various OS.
Additionally it would be nice to specifically search for games that provide e.g. Linux builds.

Cassiebsg

Agree.
I think it's been suggested before, but now that it's getting more common it becomes more actual.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cat

I've added Linux to https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2348-cave-of-avarice and moved the link to the Linux version from the Windows mirror to the Linux download link. The game shows up correctly when searching for it, but where can I download the Linux version? I don't see an extra link for it.

AGA

I haven't announced the OS specific downloads because they aren't quite ready yet!  I got distracted with fixing the searches, but should have a downloads page / modal ready soon.

blur

I think it would be better to offer the OS specific links on the download redirection page instead of having that "modal" popup,
because it would make the flow of control through the user better visible.

AGA

Okay, I think this is done now.  Game owners can add a separate download and mirror for each of the five available platforms, said platforms will return in searches, and a popup will appear showing all the downloads and mirros available for a game when you click the 'download x' button.  Oh, and each download and mirror can be reported as broken separately, to help game owners work out what's wrong a bit more easily.

morganw

Would it be possible to get a platform independent link that would be used for:

• archives containing multiple platforms
  • links to another site which host downloads for multiple platforms
?

As an example of why this might be needed, if the existing link was to Gamejolt or itch.io you now have to click a button saying you want a Windows version in order to get to the location that hosts non-Windows versions, whereas before it was just 'download'. It might be more sensible to default to not specifing the platform for existing links.

AGA

Next step is to rethink the way demos and downloads for commercial games are handled, which would logically tie into this.  Will probably end up with a separate link type for pages that collate other download options.

cat

Very nice! I'll start a thread soon to remind people to update their entries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk