Open the puzzle pod

Started by cat, Tue 26/11/2019 12:11:56

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

My colleague brought a puzzle pod to work. This is basically a box with a combination lock of five letters.
One person fills it with chocolate and sets the word that is required to open it. Then everyone has to solve a puzzle to find the solution and get to take a piece out of the box.
Would you like to start puzzling here as well?

[imgzoom]https://www.7gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/nhh.jpg[/imgzoom]

Here is the current puzzle that I set up:

1. f3 e5
2. g4 (?)h4#

The rules:

• The answer is a 5 letter word
  • Use spoiler tags for posting answers but also for posting ideas and theories
  • Don't google the solution. However, you may use Wikipedia or Google to look up something, i.e. if you think the puzzle is about pigeons, you can read about the topic.
  • The first person who solves the puzzle can create a new one

Laura Hunt

Spoiler

Are these musical notes? If this is the case, maybe it should be clarified that "H" in German-speaking countries is actually "B" in most other places (although B# wouldn't make much sense).

If they aren't notes, then forget I said anything :)

EDIT: I'm an idiot. These are not notes, obviously they are chess moves. But I don't know anything about chess, openings, tactics or any other stuff apart from how the pieces move, so I hope this is of use to somebody else!

[close]

dayowlron

Spoiler

could the code word be Queen?
thanks to Laura mentioning Chess moves, an f3 e5 move, followed by an opponent making a g4 move the best move would be Queen to h4 which would lead to a quick checkmate i believe.
[close]
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Mandle

dayowlron, I have to ask...

Spoiler
Did you have to get out a chessboard or draw one or use one on the computer to figure that out, or can you just do those moves in your head?
[close]

cat

Well done, dayowlron! You are correct! Feel free to set the next combination.

Spoiler
You also solved it the intended way - well done! My colleagues just checked which pieces have 5 characters and didn't bother to actually "replay" the moves.
[close]

Mandle

Gotta make puzzles brute-force-proof!

Stupot

Cool idea. Should any future puzzles in this thread be 5-letter words?

cat

Of course! That's how long the combination is (and that way I can reuse the puzzles to test my colleagues ;) )

dayowlron

I actually had a chess board set up that just stays that way for when my brother comes to town. Funny thing is we will start a game and talk then wherever it is left I will leave it out unless I have to put it away for some reason (cleaning, holidays, etc) and we will just start a new game next time so rarely finish an actual game.
Thanks again to Laura Hunt for giving me the idea to even try chess for the solution.

Next Puzzle: (may be easy or may be hard)(if it winds up being too hard I will add some more to the sequence)
Ip
Ohr
?
Uat
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Stupot

Is it relevant to the puzzle that the first letters are capitalized or was that just normal automatic capitalization?

Ben X

Spoiler
amgis
(greek letters backwards)
[close]

dayowlron

Quote from: Ben X on Thu 28/11/2019 13:54:05
Spoiler
amgis
(greek letters backwards)
[close]
very good. that is correct. I thought that might be too easy.

Ben X

David
Daniel
George
Pierce
Sean
Timothy

lorenzo

Spoiler
Is there a "Roger" missing in the list?
[close]

Ben X

lorenzo and Laura both got it!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Ben X on Fri 29/11/2019 10:31:48
lorenzo and Laura both got it!

You know a riddle is too easy if *I* can guess it :-D Lorenzo answered first, so he can take over :)

lorenzo

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Fri 29/11/2019 12:20:08
You know a riddle is too easy if *I* can guess it :-D
Haha, the same goes for me! (laugh)

I couldn't think of a new puzzle, unfortunately. :(

Sinusoid

If it's okay, I'll post a puzzle:

E   6
ZI

Stupot

Quote from: Sinusoid on Sat 30/11/2019 12:22:41
If it's okay, I'll post a puzzle: