New Parent Hacks

Started by Stupot, Fri 29/11/2019 00:10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Hi all. Last Sunday, my wife and I were gifted with an adorable baby boy.

Any survival tips for the father of a brand-new adventurer?

Cassiebsg

Congrats!  :-D

Yes, when you are changing his diaper, remember that boys pee all over.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

Congratulations!

I think Japan is definitely one of the best countries to raise a child in these days.

milkanannan

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 29/11/2019 00:10:09

Congrats! Hope you've enjoyed sleeping up to this point, because you're never getting it again. (laugh)

Tip 1: Coffee is a way of life now. Buy brands you really like, even if a bit expensive. When you're getting out of bed for work after only three hours of sleep for the second night in a row, at least you have a decent cup of coffee to look forward to.
Tip 2: Your wife's parents are going to want to get super involved, and it might seem really intrusive at first (it did for me). In the long run, you will have lots of time with the kid, so try to appreciate the quiet moments you and your wife have when grandma/grandpa insist on taking over for a few hours.

Slasher

Well, being a father to 3 sons born within a year of each other I can tell you times were quite tough..

Welcome to the world of parenting... If this is your first ;)

My advice' would be:

1) Don't talk 'baby talk' to them... at the same time they are only babies.  just ease off the' baby talk'... and get involved with changing/baths etc..
2) Always tell them why it is wrong when the they do something wrong...
3) The days of getting the belt have long gone (thank god)...  Your speech tone should be enough to let them know they have done wrong...
4) Reward them in some way when they have done well... Just 'words' alone may be enough...
5) If they get into a 'paddy' don't start shouting at them or give in to their demands... after you have tried finding out what may be the reason of course... If it appears that they are just having a paddy over something unreasonable then tell them so and just ignore them....they generally stop when they realise their paddy is not working... Then again a bottle of milk may do the trick.
6) Wean them off their dummy before they are 3 months... or don't use one at all if you can..
7) As they get older award stars to a chart when they have done well and put a list of their chores up on a chart.
8) Get them involved in doing things... not by force.. Kids like helping, but on their terms...
9) Give them knowledge... Read to them...Let them read or act out a  play a home etc...
10) Insist they always check if it is legal and safe before doing something...
11) All kids will be a little naughty at times...Learn how to deal with it as it should be done...
12) Kids like treats....surprise them sometimes... it works wonders... and it doesn't always have to cost anything...
13) Show them kindness but be firm when you need to be..
14) Enjoy them 24/7... You are their parent and mentor... ;)

Congratulations Stu  (nod)

DBoyWheeler

Yay!  Congratulations, man!

CaptainD

Congrats mate!

Remember to try to spend some time with your other half.  Babies tend to take up all your time and energy so this is much more difficult than it sounds, but pretty essential.

Enjoy your adventures in daddyhood!  :grin:

Stupot

Thanks for the congrats and tips. Keep them coming. This is all useful information, thank you. I'm already so in love with my little boy.

Those of you mums and dads on here, what are some of the things that most took you by surprise about having a kid, especially early on. And what lessons did you learn the hard way that you can share to help out me and other new and future parents?

Mandle

Remember at all times that your son is exactly you, except able to live well beyond your years and therefore able to live your life much better than you did, given all the wisdom that you will install in him by telling him things like "I wish I had known this when I was your age!".

Remember to tell as many Dad jokes as possible so that classic comebacks like "Well, nice to meet you Hungary, I'm Czechoslovakia" will never die out.

Remember to always fear new trends that your son latches onto during his formative period and even upwards into his teens and elderly years because you didn't take the time to look into them much.

Remember to foam-cushion every sharp corner he can hurt himself on while still an infant so that he can grow up secure in the knowledge that sharp edges are not a threat.

Remember to punch him in the shoulder as a sign of love whenever he does something right, like bros do. Hugs are for wusses.

Remember to never, ever listen to any of my advice ever again.

Danvzare

Congratulations.
As for survival tips, the only experience I can speak from is my little brother. So I don't have much (if anything) to give.
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 29/11/2019 00:21:48
when you are changing his diaper, remember that boys pee all over.  (laugh)
This. Exactly this.
Keep the front covered, and do a lightning quick swap, like on Indiana Jones.
I've heard enough stories about me as a kid to know that one. And I still remember the time my little brother accidentally peed into his mouth because of that. (laugh)

CaptainD

Stu is well ahead of his time, he's been telling dad jokes for year now!  :-D

I guess the biggest surprise is how completely exhausting it all is - you know beforehand that it will be, but somehow you never quite appreciate how bad it is until it happens...

The biggest surprise for me was, in a way, how readily I took to parenthood.  It's such a fundamental change to your life and nothing can truly prepare you for it, so when things start to come to you naturally it's a great relieve and a nice surprise.  (Please don't think I'm saying it's EASY... but some things will come to you quite naturally that you might have been a bit apprehensive about beforehand.)

Biggest surprise was that nappy changing really wasn't all that bad once you'd got used to it!  ;)

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 29/11/2019 15:03:41
Remember to tell as many Dad jokes as possible so that classic comebacks like "Well, nice to meet you Hungary, I'm Czechoslovakia" will never die out.

Stupot has been preparing all his life for this.

Kastchey

Congratulations Stu! I remembered you mentioning several weeks back that your boy was due in November and was wondering if he'd already been born.

Our boy is just 3 days older than yours :) And he has already taught me what Cassie said you should keep in mind. I got peed on three times before I finally learned my lesson  (laugh)

cat

Congratulations, Stupot and Kastchey! Exciting times coming up...

My advice is: Decide on only a few rules that are important to you, be strict about them and turn a blind eye to the rest.

And as soon as your kids gets old enough to eat by themselves: buy a hand-held vacuum cleaner (roll)

Cassiebsg

congrats Kastshey :D

Funny, I don't remember messy feeding times... I think he was just so focused on eating everything that he didn't want to waste it on the floor... or anywhere else that wasn't his mouth.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Oh, in case anyone thought I was a bit heartless in my above post with the snark and no "congratz", Stu and I already spoke on FB about this happy event a few days ago.

Stupot

Congratulations Kastchey! We can swap notes.

Snarky

Congrats to you both, and to your now-larger families, Stu and Kastchey!

Creamy

Congrats new parents. Gently pats infants. That's why they don't turn bats.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk