MAGS December “Create Your Own Christmas” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Sun 01/12/2019 00:26:43

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS December?

Create your own game: Your dreamy Christmas by Slasher
1 (12.5%)
A Christmas Ghost by Racoon
1 (12.5%)
A Christmas Nightmare by Alan v.Drake
6 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Mon 20/01/2020 04:03:28

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 06/01/2020 14:36:09
[...] ended with a fatal freeze both times.

Fatal freezes aren't part of the game, what renderer were you using and what was happening in the game?

- Alan

Mandle

Quote from: Alan v.Drake on Mon 06/01/2020 16:53:02
Quote from: Mandle on Mon 06/01/2020 14:36:09
[...] ended with a fatal freeze both times.

Fatal freezes aren't part of the game, what renderer were you using and what was happening in the game?

- Alan

Ummmm, the first one happened when I woke up in the night, went through the portal in the wardrobe, came out the other side, I think I spoke to someone and I think a cutscene was supposed to start but the screen just stayed black. I tried ALT-TAB and the screen went white. I tried CTRL-X and nothing happened. I tried Windows key and nothing happened.

I was a bit drunk so details are hazy. I will have to try again today.

(I was using the default renderer the game is set to, but I changed to software renderer the next try and it froze everything again but I do not remember exactly where)

Alan v.Drake

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 06/01/2020 23:43:49
Ummmm, the first one happened when I woke up in the night, went through the portal in the wardrobe, came out the other side, I think I spoke to someone and I think a cutscene was supposed to start but the screen just stayed black. I tried ALT-TAB and the screen went white. I tried CTRL-X and nothing happened. I tried Windows key and nothing happened.

I was a bit drunk so details are hazy. I will have to try again today.

(I was using the default renderer the game is set to, but I changed to software renderer the next try and it froze everything again but I do not remember exactly where)

Were you playing fullscreen? The "I'm ready" was the part where the game goes white and closes itself.  Maybe try out what happens with windowed mode.

- Alan

Alan v.Drake

Could it be a game exit hang akin to what Dualnames was experiencing?  :-\

- Alan

Shadow1000

All three of this month's entries are awesome, but in my mind there is a clear winner:

Create your own game: Your dreamy Christmas by Slasher

Spoiler
Great adaptation of the theme; it's really like having the possibility of a whole bunch of completely different games under one roof based on the player's decisions. In fact, this is probably the one of the batch that stands out of the group for adaptation of the theme. Very slasher-esque graphics and room-specific puzzles. I know it's just a game but I found the theme culturally mismatched of the Prince of Persia looking for a Christmas tree? Otherwise, great entry.
[close]

Spoiler
BEAUTIFUL graphics, and who can't feel moved by a lonely old lady finding company to celebrate Christmas? This one also gives the player options so it meets the theme of the month but not as much as slasher's entry.
[close]

A Christmas Nightmare by Alan v.Drake
Spoiler
I'm going to jump to the end here: I can only think of one other MAGS entry of all time that is SO complete in terms of story, puzzles, art, design, dialogues, creativity, amount of content created in such a short time, you name it. It looks like Alan v. Drake did this with no help? If so, then I am completely speechless. I especially enjoyed the book-man and broom puzzles. It's rare to see such well-designed puzzles in a MAGS entry. And without giving away too much, the choices definitely change the game. I LOVED the Christmas music.  My only uncertainty is that the game actually flashes and turns off when it does. I actually thought at first "WHAT?? THAT WAS IT??" until I realized...I'm not sure if I feel that this choice was brilliant or should be changed so as not to dissuade some players who don't realize that things are just beginning...
[close]

In case you couldn't tell, my vote goes straight to
Spoiler
A Christmas Nightmare
[close]

Kastchey

Your Dreamy Christmas by Slasher
Spoiler
I would have loved more choices similar to the first one, i.e. choose a path that does not have any obvious outcome, rather than looking for adventure gamey solutions such as getting out of the stew pot, but it did the job as a 'choose your own adventure' well, in fact the best of all three entries. The concept of an ancient Persian hero with two blonde dudes as his crew looking for a Christmas tree so that children may dance and praise the Lord (..!) made me cringe a little but okay, this was a grandpa's fairy tale quickly made up to entertain a bored kid, so I understand he had to improvise ;-)
[close]
Spoiler
What a cute little game. It felt more as if I was reading a kiddie book than playing a game because of little interactivity and lots of text, but that's by no means a fault - it added to the game's specific charm. It was less of a 'choose your own adventure' and more of a multiple ending game, but both endings were charming. A really cute little game I could easily play with a kid.
[close]
Christmas Nightmare by Alan
SPOILER ALERT! Seriously, don't read before you play the entire game content.
Spoiler
Whoa. That was AMAZING. It looks terrific, has entertaining puzzles and unforgettable atmosthere and the music is super well picked. It's unbelievable that you managed to make a game this complete within just a month. What a comeback!
What thrilled me most was the game shutting itself down on purpose - a genius move. The bad ending was rightfully creepy, I loved it. The fact that the game required a third playthrough was a brilliant twist, I genuinely thought there were just two options - being selfish and getting punished, and being a good boy and getting zilch except for keeping the family happy. I'm just wondering though, I never managed to get a real 'good' ending even though I collected all four pieces 'good boy' dream matter. Eddy still says he should have tried harder in the end. Am I missing something, or is the real 'good' ending not implemented yet?
[close]
And my vote went to
Spoiler
Christmas Nightmare by Alan v.Drake. There was a notable quality in each of the three entries, but this one was just stunningly well crafter and entertaining.
[close]

lanchong

I've voted for Christmas Nightmare because it's a beautiful classic point-and-click adventure game. I didn't quite understand why the game suddenly exited but the rest of the game was fun.

I loved A Chrismas Nightmare too. I got warm fuzzies playing it.

Your Dreamy Christmas was amusing because of the unusual middle East setting and it will appeal to younger demographics.

Slasher

I'm glad that Alan v.Drake sorted out some annoying issues  (nod)

Stupot

Stupot

The voting is over and the winner is: A Christmas Nightmare by Alan v.Drake

Well done Alan. I haven't had a chance to play the game myself yet, but it looks incredible and judging by the comment, it is. I'll contact you soon about choosing a topic for February.

Thanks to the others who entered and to everyone who voted.

Slasher

Well done Alan v.Drake... I'm glad it turned out well  (nod)

LostTrainDude

Well done, Alan, a deserved result for such a good little game!

Congrats to all the entries!  :-D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Alan v.Drake

Thanks guys.
I've got a little busy this January so the last part isn't done yet but it's slowly coming together!

It's a miracle that I managed to get 3/4 of a game ready in a month, I'm glad it was good enough for you to enjoy.
I'll update the demo with the improved version (the one I put on itch.io).

I'll think about a new topic.

- Alan

Racoon

That was a well deserved win Alan v. Drake  (nod) Congratulations!
When I first tried the game it would crash pretty soon
Spoiler
after meeting Santa
[close]
,but in the end it turned out to be so polished and really enjoyable! It must have taken a lot of time and effort to get it that far.

It was fun to participate and I really look forward to join more MAGs soon  :)

Shadow1000

Congratulations on the win. I already made my comments on this outstanding games. Looking forward to more!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk