A Funny Point-n-Click that Pokes Fun at Politics

Started by DBoyWheeler, Wed 04/12/2019 19:25:57

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

So, I was searching around for adventure-game-related articles on TheGamer.com (since I'm looking for examples for articles to do as a freelancer).  And found this rather interesting article.

https://www.thegamer.com/political-quest-kickstarter/

I don't know if this is AGS, but this game (still in production as of the article's release) is one of those that parodies politics in general.  So even if you yourself aren't into the political stuff, you might get a couple of cheap laughs if/when it comes out.  And it's a point-n-click adventure (especially in the style of LucasArts' games), so how can you go wrong with that?

[Edit] Didn't realize the kickstarter didn't make it.  Still, it was a valiant effort of the guy.

Jack

There is Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love. I haven't played it, but it's one of just a few recent adventure games where the review didn't expose obvious flaws.

Ali

I spoke with the creator about it briefly during the Kickstarter, who seemed like a well-intentioned guy. It's presented as political satire, but it's mostly a take-off of YouTube personalities/controversies - certainly a subject worthy of mockery, but not really politics in general.

I can see why he wants to make an "anti-hate" game, without racist slurs, depictions of bigotry etc. But, if the player can be an "alt-right prick" who doesn't actually do any of the nasty stuff... in what sense is that satirical of the alt-right?  It seems to me that the ostensibly right-wing play-style is debating "facts and logic" in the "marketplace of ideas". So then... is the left-wing option punching people? While that's obviously hilarious, I'm not sure it treats both sides of the "civility" argument to the same level of satirical scorn. I just think there might be a fundamental problem in trying to make a politically neutral political satire.

Jack

This part was unintentionally hilarious:

QuotePlayers will be able to make the main character align with extreme political ideologies, solve every problem with violence, or approach NPCs with logical debate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk