Feria d'Arles - Winter SALE

Started by Privateer Puddin', Fri 06/12/2019 13:09:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Tue 10/12/2019 13:09:25
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Tue 10/12/2019 11:38:57
I already got it yesterday and I plan on playing it this weekend! ;-D

But yeah, I definitely agree with Cassie and Creamy. Pressing Esc to pause the game and show a menu with options, save, quit, etc, is pretty much standard game design these days. Having to learn three different keys for that is just not good UX :-D

F1 does it all, just F5 and F7 go to those sub ones directly :)

Standard AGS keys! Darn kids and their escape keys  :=

"Kid"? Me? OK, millennial (laugh)

But hey, I'll take the Esc key not doing anything over it quitting the game without a warning any day! (Yes, I've played games like this. And games that did not have a "quit" option at all and made me Alt+Tab+F4 to exit :all_the_facepalms:)

Khris

Just wanted to say how much I love this game, and everything about it.  I'm pretty stuck right now but was able to get unstuck on my own twice so far. And I hope I'll keep it that way :)
Didn't encounter any bugs so far.

Again, awesome job, to all involved! The sheer amount of beautiful animation frames is mind boggling.

(btw, I switched off the highres sprite scaling and I'm kind of torn between the pixel-perfect old school look and not missing out on the highres animation frames... might switch back)

Click'd

Finished. The bull fight (not a spoiler, since that is the point of the game) was rather confusing but I found out how to beat it after a while. I gotta say, I like the "smearing" animations.

Continuity error:
Spoiler
Molly says "I know who you are" at the end even when the player skips the alley/dark house encounter with the Order of the Bull
[close]

Athanor

I finished it and loved every minute of it! Some of the best animations I've ever seen, such a charming and unique setting, such funny characters, interesting puzzle design, lovely soundtrack (with a great hommage to iMuse!). But it has been such a short pleasure, I'm longing for more of it!
Anyway, fantastic work, well worth the price. :)

Privateer Puddin'

Thank you all for the kind works, really glad people are enjoying it!

Quote from: Click'd on Tue 10/12/2019 15:41:31
Continuity error:
Spoiler
Molly says "I know who you are" at the end even when the player skips the alley/dark house encounter with the Order of the Bull
[close]

Spoiler
She shouldn't have the Muleta either, but we felt chances are people will go into the Order of the Bull door, and if they didn't, we didn't want to shoe horn that meeting in somehow when entering the arena :)
[close]

edmundito

I finished the game! Worth playing all the way through. Thanks for keeping it updated, the Esc main menu is a nice addition.

Another bug I noticed:
Spoiler

When I use the stick with the scissors it says "%s on a stick?" instead of putting the name of the object in %s
[close]
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Laura Hunt

Loving it so far! It's all that I hoped for and more, congratulations again for the fantastic work ;-D

I think, however, I've run into a bug:

Spoiler
If I use the rope on the horse and exit that same screen to the right instead of to the left, Molly says "I shouldnt' take this with me" or something of the sort, and the rope disappears from my inventory. I can't seem to be able to find it again.
[close]

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 12/12/2019 07:14:20
Loving it so far! It's all that I hoped for and more, congratulations again for the fantastic work ;-D

I think, however, I've run into a bug:

Spoiler
If I use the rope on the horse and exit that same screen to the right instead of to the left, Molly says "I shouldnt' take this with me" or something of the sort, and the rope disappears from my inventory. I can't seem to be able to find it again.
[close]

Glad you're enjoying it!

Spoiler
Could it be the rope is there, but too hard to see?

Molly should drop it attached to the horse (it's by her feet as well)

[close]

Laura Hunt

Ohhh I see!

Spoiler
Yeah that was easy to miss :)

Another glitch is that if you've already had your haircut and lost your hat, it reappears if you talk to the American guy:

Still running around trying to make myself taller! How can I be so lost in just 5 screens? :-D

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out! (nod)
[close]

Privateer Puddin'

Another one fixed - Thanks!

Did you forget the 6th screen?  :-D

Laura Hunt

(counts on fingers) ohhh right, six :-D

So I finished the game and really enjoyed the experience! Well worth the wait and the hype. Hope there's a sequel at some point (pretty please?) ;-D

Click'd

It sure ends with a lot of unresolved elements.

Privateer Puddin'

A sequel?!

I'll get working on that like a bat out of hell

Jojo_the_monkey

Hey, I have not played the game yet. Sure, I will try it in Christmas time, since the reviews for the game are great!!
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

Kini

Congrats on the release! I've just finished the game and really enjoyed it. Great work! I'll leave a glowing Steam review in just a sec.

A few minor points:

Spoiler
When I asked for a glass of pastis after the parrot had already flown away, the parrot still ended the conversation with "Good one", despite not being there. (I'm pretty sure it was the parrot who said this, not the market trader. If I'm wrong, obviously scratch that.)
[close]

Spoiler
Like Creamy, I thought it was a bug that I still had the sticky hose after attaching it to the bag - until I realised why I still needed it, of course. Perhaps the player should have to cut the hose with the scissors before making the bagpipes... or something?
[close]

Spoiler
After I'd got the horse to run away, when I talked to the guy in the stables he still told me to get my horse ready to run.
[close]

Spoiler
When I switched the blue mug for the red cup (the initial switch), the next sip the guy took was from a red cup, yet the red cup remained on the tool chest. By the following sip it had correctly disappeared. I assume this had to do with the precise point during his animation that I happened to make the switch. Anyway, it's obviously an incredibly minor, nitpicky detail.
[close]

Spoiler
As others have said, the game could've done with some explanation of how to access the menu. I only knew because I'd read this thread before playing.
[close]

All in all, you did a fantastic job. The puzzles, writing, art and animation were all great. I, too, look forward to a sequel! :-D

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Kini on Fri 13/12/2019 12:29:49
Congrats on the release! I've just finished the game and really enjoyed it. Great work! I'll leave a glowing Steam review in just a sec.
Thanks  :kiss:

I'll fix those points in a future release!

For anyone interested in picking it up - the launch discount of 10% on Steam is coming to an end in the next few hours, and Steam doesn't let it go on sale again for 2 months so now's your chance!

Andersk

Fantastic game! I'm still working my way through it. I'm a bit stuck at the moment but I'll keep on trying! Congrats!  8-)

cat

Great game! According to Steam, it took us 100 fun minutes to play.
We enjoyed the story, characters, graphics, millions of animations, puzzles and music.

A few things I want to especially point out:
Spoiler
  • The setup: classic three item quest, Guybrush style, objective clear from the beginning
  • The inventory
  • The drawn rope of the horse
  • Hanging upside down + dialog options
  • The room layout was clever with going in a circle - very convenient
[close]

There were a few issues that I would like to mention, though:
Spoiler

• If it wasn't for this thread, I would have never figured out how to save the game.
  • I didn't like the high-res character scaling. I also think the portraits should have had more details or being skipped at all. The looked rather blank.
  • When you put on a t-shirt, there is a great animation but then nothing happens and it confused us. A simple message like "It does not fit." would have been enough.
  • You get the pink item from the order but it disappears. I was afraid it is a bug and that I cannot finish the game.
  • After lots and lots of tries, we solved the final puzzle, but I didn't find the solution very good. What we tried but didn't have any effect was changing the location where standing when using the shield, like standing directly at the back to cause the bull to bump the wall or standing on the left to get another angle on the arena. We also tried attaching the silver shield to the one mounted on the wall and other stuff. Btw, reading labels in the mirror was hilarious

[close]

I don't have much time to play long games anymore, so little gems like this are more than welcome  :)

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: cat on Sat 28/12/2019 19:53:14
Btw, reading labels in the mirror was hilarious

Hah yay, at least one person did that interaction  :cool:

Quick review roundup!

First up is Adventure Gamers, who gave the game 4/5! - https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/39391

and secondly it was reviewed on the latest episode of the Adventure Games Podcast - https://adventuregamespodcast.com/podcast/2020/1/10/episode-46-reviews-of-feria-darles-and-over-the-alps-and-adventure-game-of-the-yeardecade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk