Background Blitz: Opposing Elements - VOTING (Dec 2019)

Started by abstauber, Mon 09/12/2019 15:18:30

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Opposing Elements

Draw a background with one key element not belonging in the scenery. This can be a something like a crafted object in a prehistoric world, a gothic underground chapel or even a fossil space jokey on a deserted planet ;)
Just mix two opposing elements to an eerie experience, no restrictions on the resolution, palette whatsoever. But keep in mind: pineapple on a pizza is not enough :D

Entries
DBoyWheeler:

lorenzo:

kastchey:

Voting until: 1st January 2020

Trophies

Voting categories (as usual)
Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?

Cassiebsg

Awsome theme, hope to have some time to produce something for this one.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

DBoyWheeler

I made a quick one, and I figured it'd fit the theme nicely.

Spoiler

It's an iceberg in a river of magma in a cavern.  Maybe the player could find some means of reaching it before the magic wears off and it finally starts melting, and he/she gets an important quest item there.
[close]

lorenzo

Fantastic theme, I already have some ideas!

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 09/12/2019 15:18:30
Just mix two opposing elements to an eerie experience, no restrictions on the resolution, palette whatsoever. But keep in mind: pineapple on a pizza is not enough :D
Pineapple on a pizza? Now, that's eerie!

abstauber

Phew, I'm glad that you like this year's last theme. It sure took some time to find something interesting, yet not too constricting  :)

And there's even a first entry, nice!

lorenzo

Cassiebsg

Oh, forgot about this.  :-[
But great BG lorenzo!  (nod)

Jojo_the_monkey

Great image Lorenzo!! I want to explore this boat!!
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

DBoyWheeler

Woo!  Maybe a really strong typhoon brought the boat to deeper inland.  (Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing things.)  Anyway, great work, lorenzo.

lorenzo

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 15/12/2019 20:29:31
Oh, forgot about this.  :-[
But great BG lorenzo!  (nod)
Thanks a lot Cassie! By the way, there's still more than a week to go, if you want to make an entry!

Quote from: Jojo_the_monkey on Mon 16/12/2019 11:51:11
Great image Lorenzo!! I want to explore this boat!!
Thank you, man! Be sure to have done your tetanus shots before boarding the ship, it's very rusty! ;)

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Mon 16/12/2019 17:11:42
Woo!  Maybe a really strong typhoon brought the boat to deeper inland.  (Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing things.)  Anyway, great work, lorenzo.
Thank you for the nice words! I didn't really think about a complex backstory for the background, to be honest, so a strong typhoon sounds good to me! :)

Blondbraid

QuoteBut keep in mind: pineapple on a pizza is not enough :D
Hey, pineapple is perfect for pizza!

Anyway, awesome BG, lorenzo! You wouldn't have happened to have been watching any Werner Herzog films lately?  :)

lorenzo

Thank you, Blondbraid!

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 16/12/2019 23:23:48
You wouldn't have happened to have been watching any Werner Herzog films lately?  :)
Hahah, not recently! But probably Fitzcarraldo has been an unconscious influence.

abstauber

Awesome, another and final entry to this contest! Many thanks to all of you!

So I think is fair to start voting now. Deadline for this is 30th Dec - so only 3 days  :shocked:

Cassiebsg

Sorry, I started one, but didn't got to make more than a couple basic shapes...  :-[

...Anyway...

Concept: Kastchey
Playability: lorenzo
Artistic Execution: lorenzo

Kastchey

My comments and votes below:-

DBoyWheeler: It's still very simplistic, but it's the best piece you have submitted so far. There are no style inconsistencies, there is an attempt to reduce the flatness of the image and the colours are nice. Keep it up!
lorenzo: I really admire your capability of skillfully switching between various styles and moods, each one of your pieces brings something new to the gallery. Kudos for that! Also, this particular one has a really lovely foreground composition.

Concept: lorenzo (fits the theme perfectly)
Playability: DBoyWheeler (simplistic or not, it is playable alright)
Artistic execution: lorenzo (fantastic composition and a delicate, fitting colour balance)

abstauber

I've just extended the voting deadline a little to hopefully get some more votes.
Oh.. and the trophies are ready - everyone gets one  ;-D

Creamy

Concept: lorenzo
Playability: Kastchey
Artistic Execution: lorenzo.

lorenzo

Hope I'm not too late for voting. Yesterday I couldn't connect to the site.

Comments:

DBoyWheeler: nice entry! I like your colour choices and the backstory for the background.
Kastchey: a very interesting interpretation of the theme! I like the contrast in colours (it brings your eyes to the centre of the scene) and shapes (between the sky and the gnarly tree branches).

Votes:

Concept: Kastchey (I like the interpretation of the theme).
Playability: DBoyWheeler (clear walkable areas, perfect angle to show characters walking).
Artistic Execution: Kastchey (the style you've chosen complements subject).

abstauber

QuoteHope I'm not too late for voting.
No worries, the more votes the better.

Nonetheless let's count in the final results:

1st

lorenzo

2nd

kastchey

3rd

DBoyWheeler

Congrats and thanks a lot for participating.

Jack

Congratulations, lorenzo. Well-deserved win.

I was too busy last month to participate, plus I never had a good idea for the theme.

Kastchey

Congrats lorenzo! Looking forward to the next one.

lorenzo

Thanks a lot, everybody! Too bad there weren't more entries, I thought the theme was really good.

I'll try to think of a new idea for the next BG blitz!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk