3D printing

Started by Blondbraid, Sat 14/12/2019 14:39:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

I've been playing around with 3D printing lately, and of course the first thing I've decided to make into a printable model was Olga and Ivan.  :-D

I've uploaded the models here for anyone who want to print their own, and I'm curious if anyone else here has tried 3D printing and wanted to share any models or ideas?

Retro Wolf

That's so cool, I feel like if I had a 3D printer, I'd use it too much haha! Are they very strong?

Cassiebsg

They look awesome! Did you 3D modeled them yourself?

The only thing I ever 3D printer was this Cylon Centurion half helmet, I did during a Solid Works course I attended.   3D printing wasn't in the program, but I decided to ask if I could and they let me.  :-D I'm missing a decent chrome paint to finish it's coloring.

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jojo_the_monkey

Well done Blondbraid, they look great!! Now you must do a stop motion adventure!!  :P
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

Jack

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 14/12/2019 14:39:13
Olga and Ivan.  :-D

Breddy gud. Did you have to do much sanding?

I'm not one for figurines but it might be cool to have one of my games' characters, or a ship.

Cassiebsg

I did sanded mine down.
If you look closely you can see the x shaped material finish on the back plate, near the round part of the helmet (leftt side of the pic).

Blondbraid

To answer the questions, yes, I did model the 3D models myself in Maya, and you are free to download and print your own if you'd like.

I didn't do any sanding on them (they're pretty small, only 10 cm high) since I was afraid I'd just file off the details them, plus the 3D printer I'm using
(Creality 10s) is pretty good at fine details, though the downside is that even these small things take hours to print with those settings.

Quote from: Jack on Sat 14/12/2019 21:09:53
I'm not one for figurines but it might be cool to have one of my games' characters, or a ship.
If you have access to a 3D printer, I'd say go for it. For any AGSer who already make their graphics using 2D images of 3D characters,
you can just convert the 3D files to an OBJ or STL file, and as long as there aren't any gaps or holes in their geometry, they're ready to be printed!

Mandle

Tampere

Amazing job Blondebraid, the look so full of life! Perfect colouring too!

KyriakosCH

Nice models!!!

By the way, does anyone know of any serious site where one can sell their 3d models for printing? Interested in building models.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Blondbraid

I've spent a lot of time trying to perfect a model for a jointed doll to add clothes and acessories to once it's printed, I just thought I'd share this;

Cassiebsg

That looks great. :)
Though I've never been much into dolls, so I actually prefer Olga and Ivan.  (laugh)
Btw, how much do they weigh? Or better asked: how much 3d-filaments in grams di you use to produce those figures? Just wondering what they would cost to print at the Library...  ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 23/04/2020 22:53:56
That looks great. :)
Though I've never been much into dolls, so I actually prefer Olga and Ivan.  (laugh)
Btw, how much do they weigh? Or better asked: how much 3d-filaments in grams di you use to produce those figures? Just wondering what they would cost to print at the Library...  ;)

I'm so glad you like them!  :-D
Well, the weight depends on what size you want to print them in. With the dolls with joints, downsizing them runs the risk of the joints fusing together in printing, but with the Olga and Ivan figurines you can do pretty much any size without too much trouble (I accidentally made the first figure I printed 20 milimeters high because I misread the numbers, yet it still worked!), but with a 10% infill a 120 milimeter high figurine is only about 12 grams without supports, and 30 grams with auto-generated supports, so they shouldn't weigh too much.

Personally, I'd recommend downloading Cura and use that program to open the 3D files in it to calculate how much a figure in the size you want would weigh.

Cassiebsg

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check that.
Of course, before I can do any printing, the Library needs to open for business.  :)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 24/04/2020 16:32:24
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll check that.
Of course, before I can do any printing, the Library needs to open for business.  :)
True. But they can't stay closed for too long considering the people without computers who need public libraries for their online errands.

Fitz

These are magnificent, Blondbraid! Especially that last one. How do the joints work? Did you model them after solutions used in commercial figurines or did you make some creative use of the 3D printing capabilities, like printing an object inside an object rather than snapping them together once finished.

I'm only starting my fun with 3D prints and have yet to try to color them or give them movable body parts. Here's my first - done with the help of my brother-in-law (he's the printer whiz, I'm the designer):

Cassiebsg

arj0n

Quote from: Fitz on Sun 03/05/2020 20:56:47
Here's my first - done with the help of my brother-in-law (he's the printer whiz, I'm the designer):

Nice!
Oh man, you should do a print of a model of Gray! ;)
(I guess that Gray-doll idea never saw the daylight?)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Fitz on Sun 03/05/2020 20:56:47
These are magnificent, Blondbraid! Especially that last one. How do the joints work? Did you model them after solutions used in commercial figurines or did you make some creative use of the 3D printing capabilities, like printing an object inside an object rather than snapping them together once finished.
Thanks!
If you're curious, I spent a lot of time trying to design a doll that could have both movable joints and be printed in one piece. I did take some inspiration from other people's models with simple printable joints, and then there was a long process of trial and error, where I started with some very simple joints and gradually tested more advanced designs, but I also had to use a lot of supports to make it work. You can download and take a look at the model here if you want to learn how it works: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4237475

But your model isn't bad either, awesome work on the face details!  8-0

Fitz

Arjon, I'm surprised you even remember that! Nope, actually alllll of my plans for Gray went absolutely nowhere. Same with Magenta, too, and Monty. Not a day goes by without me thinking about either, with so many ideas - but I'm physically burnt out. If anything, I might start making figurines for others, more marketable IPs of AGS fame? Here's a lazy quickie 3D sculpt I did of Zniw: 

Blondbraid, I'll definitely check these - though I might also investigate the classic approach of assemblable models. Because one of these days I might actually go there, maybe? I work at an injection molding company, owned by my father - and so far we've only been making boring practical stuff. I'm 40 next month, so I want to do something new and bold and wild!  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk