3D printing

Started by Blondbraid, Sat 14/12/2019 14:39:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Blondbraid

Wow, for a lazy quickie sculpt, that looks great, just like the original but in 3D! I definitively hope you'll be able to work more on cool Adventure game character models in the future!
Quote from: Fitz on Mon 04/05/2020 10:59:21
Blondbraid, I'll definitely check these - though I might also investigate the classic approach of assemblable models. Because one of these days I might actually go there, maybe? I work at an injection molding company, owned by my father - and so far we've only been making boring practical stuff. I'm 40 next month, so I want to do something new and bold and wild!  (laugh)
I hope they'll be of some inspiration!
And the injection molding sounds interesting, I've seen people on YouTube use 3D-printed items to create molds and cast them in other materials, it it something you've tried?

Fitz

Oh, just to make it clear: it wasn't a five-minute thing, it was simply something I did in one sitting, in the evening, and chose not to worry about little details - while fully aware it's far from perfect. It doesn't have that dynamism and charm of the original cartoony Zniw. These short evening sculpts are sort of a rapid prototyping - which is very different from more ambitious attempts, which tend to take waaaay longer, require much more research, trial and error, and revisions - like this:

(which I'm still not perfectly happy with)

As far as casting goes, that's not what we do, actually. I'm talking automated, rapid machine mass-production of identical plastic items by injecting molten plastic into steel molds. It's a regular factory - if small - rather than an artistic enterprise. Coincidentally, casting was what my fiance (the real-life Magenta) and my sister did in college, they both majored in sculpture.

Blondbraid

Wow, that's impressive!
Quote from: Fitz on Mon 04/05/2020 18:46:10
As far as casting goes, that's not what we do, actually. I'm talking automated, rapid machine mass-production of identical plastic items by injecting molten plastic into steel molds. It's a regular factory - if small - rather than an artistic enterprise. Coincidentally, casting was what my fiance (the real-life Magenta) and my sister did in college, they both majored in sculpture.
Well, I've also heard about businesses using 3D printing to create an original model and then using it to make molds to mass-produce copies of things, but I guess you don't do that?

Fitz

Would be pretty hard to make steel molds that way ;) Instead, we feed the 3D data to a CNC milling machine, which then cuts the mold out of blocks of steel.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Fitz on Wed 06/05/2020 22:19:40
Would be pretty hard to make steel molds that way ;) Instead, we feed the 3D data to a CNC milling machine, which then cuts the mold out of blocks of steel.
Aha, I didn't realize you were using steel molds, I was thinking more along the lines of materials like plaster and silicone!  :P

Still, three's much cool potential in 3D printing, and I think your models you've showcased in your last comments would look great printed out,
and as for various imperfections, you can hide a lot with a glue gun and acrylic paint!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk