AGS 3.5.0 release: cannot access fileserver through ftp again

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sat 14/12/2019 19:26:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Hate to mention this again, but I still have troubles accessing AGS file server , and therefore unable to upload recent release and change download links on the front page. I had this problem for a pretty long time, and once was able to connect, but it stopped working again shortly after.
I am using FileZilla 3.46.0 on Windows 7, if that matters, and all I get in an output window is "Server unexpectedly closed network connection".
Unfortunately, I am not very knowledgeful in networking, so don't know how to diagnose this.

Are there any alternate variants?
Right now all downloads are hosted on github. The links are in 3.5.0 forum post, and also on github release page: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/tag/v.3.5.0.22

In the worst case, guess someone else could upload them to AGS server, and fix XML that controls front page links.

AGA

I've uploaded them.  I'll try to think of a more sustainable way of keeping the file links up to date if you can't connect by FTP.

I've spent quite a while trying to work out why you can't connect, but there's really no cause I can understand!  I can connect using the same details you do, so I can only assume the host doesn't like your IP range or something.

Crimson Wizard

Thank you!

One minor thing, it still mentions
QuoteOn this AGS forums thread you can find releases of the latest version of AGS in development (3.5.0 - Beta 1). These are not guaranteed to be stable, and should not necessarily be used yet on game projects.
This should be removed for now, as we don't have any new version in development yet.

cat

The section about supported operating systems should also be updated, AFAIK XP is not supported anymore as the required .NET version was increased.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Sat 14/12/2019 21:49:46
The section about supported operating systems should also be updated, AFAIK XP is not supported anymore as the required .NET version was increased.

Oh, right, I completely forgot about that.

AGS Editor now requires Microsoft .NET Framework of version 4.5 and is not compatible with XP anymore.

Also, it now requires different Visual C++ redist (VC 2015): https://download.microsoft.com/download/6/A/A/6AA4EDFF-645B-48C5-81CC-ED5963AEAD48/vc_redist.x86.exe

eri0o

The full feature list also mentions the operating systems , so this needs to be fixed there too.

The resources links are kinda of dead.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 15/12/2019 09:07:01
The full feature list also mentions the operating systems , so this needs to be fixed there too.

What is the link?

Ok, I found out. TBH I never noticed that one. It mentions ports only in small letters, makng it hard to notice, and does not mention mobile ports.

Perhaps the better alternative would be to have such list in the manual, and then change that link to online pages. That way it's guaranteed to be at least on par with current manual (which is maintained by developers).

By the way, how do we update online manual? I heard it's possible to build HTML pages? Need to discuss how to replace existing ones at https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/

AGA

If / when the GitHub manual is complete, I can just update all links on the site to point there, and put an automatic redirect to the new URL.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGA on Sun 15/12/2019 14:53:08
If / when the GitHub manual is complete, I can just update all links on the site to point there, and put an automatic redirect to the new URL.

What defines its completion? It's an ongoing project in the form of Wiki. We may already link people there.

It's just that I thought , do we need a read-only form of the online manual maybe?

AGA

By 'complete' I guess I'd expect it to provide at least as much coverage as the old, static manual did.  So people can use it to learn how to use AGS!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGA on Sun 15/12/2019 15:20:03
By 'complete' I guess I'd expect it to provide at least as much coverage as the old, static manual did.  So people can use it to learn how to use AGS!

Oh, I had to clarify, it already started as a copy of an old manual, so it has all that + new articles for 3.5.0.
We are building new offline CHM file from that wiki project.

AGA

Ah, great.  No reason why it can't be the new point of truth then.  I'll update all the links people have dicussed in this thread shortly.

AGA

I've emailed you some new (S)FTP details, which will hopefully work for you now?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk