Headbanger's Heaven - A Rock & Roll Adventure

Started by Frodo, Sun 22/12/2019 21:46:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Frodo

Hey everyone.  I'm very happy to announce my first game.    :grin:
Hope you enjoy it. 

Jason Miller is a typical teenage rocker.  Loves to stay up all night and sleep all day.  And of course, headbang to his favourite music.

When he enters a competition in Kerplow Rock Magazine, he never dreamed he would actually win first prize! 

But won, he has.  And now he gets to spend the afternoon with his favourite band, Uptempo Maniacs, and get a private performance of their new song. 
He is SO excited!  He still can't believe it, even when the limo driver drops him off at the band's mansion.

He has his autograph book, all ready to get autographs from all 6 of the band members.  And he CANNOT WAIT for the special private performance. 

But if he thinks he's in for an easy afternoon, he's got another think coming...

The game is 88 MB.

Download Links
Dropbox
Itch.io

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/Bl53D4P.png[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/XSDn4qO.png[/imgzoom]

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Frodo

Ponch

Congrats on getting your first game out, Frodo. That's not something that every AGSer can say.

I did a bit of playtesting on this game about a month ago. I found it made me very nostalgic for the early days of AGS, and Reality on the Norm. Back in those days when CJ still walked among us and every other game had that "explore a big house" Maniac Mansion vibe to it. The graphics especially remind me of a lot of those classic efforts made with AGS 2.x. There's a lot of quirky personality in these doodles. Also, as someone who banged his head in the 80s, I could have easily been Jason. So many memories of early AGS and my even earlier, be-mulleted youth. Ahh, the good old days.   ;-D

I hope in the sequel, we'll be able to play the games in the arcade room.

Short take: If you like very retro gaming (and who doesn't in these forums), guitar licks, and walking around a multi-floor mansion until you've memorized the floor plans without realizing it, then give this game a try.  (laugh)

DBoyWheeler

Congrats to you, man!  Welcome to the world of the AGS-er!

MorpheusKitami

Weird, the game freezes for me as soon as I start. I've never had that happen before. Despite playing under Linux through WINE this is the first AGS game to cause that for me. I'm honestly not sure if there's anything you can do about it beyond noting it.

Also, you have your game's assets in there three times. Makes a considerably larger download than it needs to be.

lorenzo

Congratulation on the release! :cheesy:
Downloading it now!

Frodo

Ponch, thanks.  I'm really glad you like the game.   :cheesy:
And I'm just waiting for the day when CJ walks amongst us again.   :wink:
And thanks for all the playtesting you did.   :grin:

DBoyWheeler, thanks.  It feels good to get a game out.   :smiley:

Morpheus, I'm sorry you're having problems getting the game to run.  It works fine in Windows, but I can't guarantee Linux\Wine.   :undecided:
As for the game assets being in there 3 times... hmmm, that's odd.  I'll look into it when I'm back home in a few days.   :confused:

Lorenzo, thanks for giving it a spin.  Hope you enjoy it.   :smiley:

Frodo

Quote from: MorpheusKitami on Wed 25/12/2019 05:14:14
Weird, the game freezes for me as soon as I start. I've never had that happen before. Despite playing under Linux through WINE this is the first AGS game to cause that for me. I'm honestly not sure if there's anything you can do about it beyond noting it.

Also, you have your game's assets in there three times. Makes a considerably larger download than it needs to be.

I'm back home now, and I checked the game's assets, but I'm not seeing anything wrong.  What exactly are you seeing 3 times?  Could it be something that Linux\Wine is causing?   :confused:

MorpheusKitami

No, that's not something related to Linux. The zip contained the files in three locations. One in the base folder and twice in two folders inside the base folder. The extra folders being called Data and Windows, meaning you just copied the game's files from the Windows directory to what would correspond to your Compiled directory and then zipped up the whole thing.

Frodo

Ahh, right, I get what you mean.
Yes, I copied the .exe into the main folder for ease-of-use, so the player can just get stuck straight into the game, instead of looking in folders.
You can delete it if it really bothers you.

Cassiebsg

You're suppose to only pack the "windows" folder inside the compile folder, not data or compiled...
As a rule I just rename the windows folder to the game name and then pack it, so it's ready to be unpacked into it's own folder. But no matter if you do that or just pack the files inside the windows folders, you are not suppose to pack anything else.  :) Unless you made a Linux version, and then you pack Linux in it's own zip file.

Slasher

As Cassiebsg said.

Data Folder is not generally needed in the compiled folder.

If you have a Linux build leave in Linux Folder and Windows in Windows Folder within the Compiled Folder.

The player can then choose their O/S..

It's not big deal to have to choose.

Cassiebsg

Actually, you should not pack them together, IMHO.
People that want a windows build don't normally want a Linux build, and vise-versa.
I don't mind too much if they're packed in the same zip, but only because I have a fast internet connection and no download limits. But not everyone is privileged this way, and then it might be a big annoyance and inconvenience for them.

lorenzo

I'm really enjoying the game! I've been exploring the mansion, solving puzzles, finding missing items (these people seem to lose everything! ;) ) and turning on radiators.

I love the over-enthusiastic main character, he's so funny! Some of his dialogues with other people has made me chuckle. Especially his interactions with the shifty manager. (laugh)

The mansion is huge, but I'm starting to find my bearings.
Graphics aren't perfect, but who cares? Fun gameplay always beats graphics, in my opinion! It's always clear what you can interact with, what you can pick up, where you can walk and so on, and that's what matters most.

My only complaint, and it's a big one... why the hell can't I play Manpac in the arcade?!?  :P

Frodo

Okay, I re-uploaded the game, and edited the new download link into the first post.   :smiley:

New Download Link

It's 88 MB now.  Hopefully that is preferable to those that have limited internet access.   :wink:

It's a Windows game, so there's no Linux version. 

Happy gaming.   :grin:

Frodo

Quote from: lorenzo on Mon 30/12/2019 10:23:05
I'm really enjoying the game! I've been exploring the mansion, solving puzzles, finding missing items (these people seem to lose everything! ;) ) and turning on radiators.

I love the over-enthusiastic main character, he's so funny! Some of his dialogues with other people has made me chuckle. Especially his interactions with the shifty manager. (laugh)

The mansion is huge, but I'm starting to find my bearings.
Graphics aren't perfect, but who cares? Fun gameplay always beats graphics, in my opinion! It's always clear what you can interact with, what you can pick up, where you can walk and so on, and that's what matters most.

My only complaint, and it's a big one... why the hell can't I play Manpac in the arcade?!?  :P

Thanks for your comments Lorenzo.  I'm so glad you're enjoying the game.   :grin:
It's shocking how much stuff the band lose.   :tongue:

Jason is definately awe-struck at meeting the band he idolises.  And the manager enjoys making things awkward for Jason, and being such a jerk.   :cheesy:

Hope you liked some of the book titles in the main library.   :smiley:

Yeah, the graphics are not great - art is not my strong point.   :tongue:
But I'm glad you're having fun anyway.   :grin:

Jason plays some ManPac every time you aren't looking.   :tongue:

Thanks again.    :smiley:

lorenzo

Thank you for making the game! It's been a lot of fun, so far. I'm still trying to get all the autographs (and the manager's requests...).

Quote from: Frodo on Mon 30/12/2019 19:48:48
Hope you liked some of the book titles in the main library.   :smiley:
Haha, yeah, I definitely spent too much time reading all the titles! (laugh)

Frodo

If you get too stuck, feel free to ask for hints.   :smiley:

lorenzo

I just finished the game, I really enjoyed! In the end, I knew the mansion better than my own house. ;)

I really liked Jason and meeting the members of the band was fun. And, of course, the evil manager, my favourite character! (laugh)

Puzzles weren't too hard and logical. The only one I didn't like was
Spoiler

getting the cushion. There must be 200 cushions around the mansion, but Jason only likes that particular one in the living room! He must have a passion for yellow cushions. ;)
[close]

All in all, a very good and fun first game!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk