AGS 3.5.0 - Patch 1

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 30/12/2019 21:05:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Quote from: AGD2 on Wed 19/02/2020 10:07:31
I noticed that when using Game.IgnoreUserInputAfterTextTimeoutMs (with a setting like 1000 Ms), it works as intended and prevents the player from accidentally clicking away a new speech audio/text message if they clicked a few moments after the previous speech message disappeared.

But this also creates an unintended problem if using the player character to narrate background comments to click on things. For example, if you click the Mouth icon on a rock, the player will say the corresponding message. When said message disappears automatically - not by clicking it away (and there's no subsequent message following it), you cannot click the mouth icon on anything else until the 1000 Ms have elapsed. Can the engine be made to disregard IgnoreUserInputAfterTextTimeoutMs setting if there's no new speech message currently on-screen?

This happens with all icons. And it also affects right-clicking, meaning that when using the Sierra-style icon interface, you can't right-click to cycle through icons until the 1000 Ms have elapsed either.

Is this something you could workaround by setting IgnoreUserInputAfterTextTimeoutMs to 0 in repeatedly_execute() and then to its real value whenever you say a line? (Through a function that wraps all your Say() calls, and which you set as your "saying" function in the new 3.5 setting.)

AGD2

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 25/02/2020 06:03:49
Is this something you could workaround by setting IgnoreUserInputAfterTextTimeoutMs to 0 in repeatedly_execute() and then to its real value whenever you say a line? (Through a function that wraps all your Say() calls, and which you set as your "saying" function in the new 3.5 setting.)

I just gave that a quick test, but it seems that when I set it back to 0 in the repeatedly_execute script, it still uses the 1000 ms delay from the last message that was on-screen. The setting of 0 only gets applied once the next new message appears (and gets immediately overridden by 1000 ms again).

Cassiebsg

You could try and set the value lower? Just enough for the player to read the shortest sentence but not short enough to accidentally dismiss the text before reading it?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AGD2

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 25/02/2020 14:57:34
You could try and set the value lower? Just enough for the player to read the shortest sentence but not short enough to accidentally dismiss the text before reading it?

Yeah, that's how I had it originally set up, but players were complaining that they were still accidentally skipping past messages.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk