Ubuntu 18.04 Wine AGS

Started by Clifford James, Tue 31/12/2019 23:17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Clifford James

Hello everyone, and Happy New Years,

I am sorry if this topic has already been posted, but I am having an issue with running Adventure Game Studios on my HP Elite Book running Ubuntu 18.04.
I have the .exe file installed and running from wine, but when trying to open the application I am only getting the splash screen. Viewing logs I see multiple error messages:

Unable to get info on application://ags Editor.desktop

0009:fixme:exe:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100

0009:fixme:exe:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100

002b:fixme:mscoree:parse_startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy=L”true” not implemented

002b:fixme:mscoree:parse_supported_runtime sku+L”.NETFramework,Version=v4.5” not implemented

Windows manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x3600003 specified for 0x3500005 (SplashScre).

0002b:err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 3536 bytes in thread 002b eip 7bc5ee57 esp 00240560 stack 0x240000-0x241000-0x340000

This computer was handed down to me with a bad hdd, so I installed a solid state and upgraded to 8gb RAM. I didn't want to pay for Win10 since this was an older machine, and I was able to run everything else I needed on Linux (including RPG Maker VX Ace from Wine), but I am having an issue with AGS.

Even though I had selected to install the .NET framework from the .exe install, I thought this may have still been a .NET issue. I attempted to install the newest version from Microsoft but it was not downloading, so I tried installing 4.5. Still had an issue installing from runtime and from direct download. So I tried the following command:

Wget -q https://packages.microsoft.com/config/ubuntu/18.04/packages-microsoft-prod.deb -0 packages-microsoft-prod.deb
Sudo dpkg -i packages-microsoft-prod.deb
Sudo apt-get install dotnet-sdk-4.5

I received the following:

E: Unable to locate package dotnet-sdk-4.5
E: Couldn't find any package by glob ‘dotnet-sdk-4.5'
E Couldn't find any package by regex ‘dotnet-sdk-4.5'

However, the install did work with older dotnet-sdk-3.1

I am also, due to this being my first ‘real time' with Unbuntu/Linux, unable to find a way to uninstall the AGS Editor (along with AGS Manual and the two Visit the AGS wine launchers) from the Applications feature.

Would anyone please be able to assist? Thank you in advance for reading this.

eri0o

Yo, I have the same system and I can help tomorrow when I am less drunk

Clifford James

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 31/12/2019 23:32:36
Yo, I have the same system and I can help tomorrow when I am less drunk

Thank you!

eri0o

Try using playonlinux temporarily, it has a user interface and you can select dotnet4 there to install .NET framework. I haven't actually tried, but if you have Steam you may try running it using Proton too. Using wine directly you can also install dotnet4 using winetricks. If you use any Editor (not engine) plug-ins, you may need dotnet3.5 too. I really wanted to pack the editor in a more convenient way, but the docs on flatpak and snap sucks big time... I haven't checked if anyone has written some initializer for it on Lutris, but this is other frontend to try.

I actually just use playonlinux and it works for me, so I never questioned much, and if I need VS for some stuff I run it in a VM on my PC or on a remote server.

eri0o

This is weird and makes no sense, have you installed the latest Wine on Playonlinux or something? I use Wine 3.20, not very new, but works.

You may need to use the following command to be able to install dotnet4 on Playonlinux, otherwise I think it fails on Ubuntu.

Code: bash
echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

Here's me explaining my setup on the forums over the years:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=57133.msg636610654#msg636610654
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54390.msg636552893#msg636552893

Ah, my playonlinux version

Code: bash
$ playonlinux --version
PlayOnLinux 4.2.12

Component installation screen to select dotnet 4.5. I actually have multiple versions of dotnet installed in the same drive because I have used the same wineprefix with multiple AGS versions in the past and use Editor plugins.

I noticed I have these libraries overriden, but I think I did this for other reason, probably not AGS, but I don't remember:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk