Broken Windows - Chapter 1 *AVAILABLE NOW*

Started by ddavey1983, Thu 02/01/2020 12:47:49

Previous topic - Next topic

ddavey1983

Broken Windows - Chapter 1 by GOC Games - *AVAILABLE NOW.*

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2401/

Frownthorpe is an unremarkable town in an unremarkable county.

You are probationary police constable Jack Burton, fresh out of training and eager to succeed.

This is just as well because something very remarkable is about to happen in this unremarkable town.

The first episode of a point and click adventure game inspired by the Police Quest series (albeit with no dead ends or deaths!)

Hope you enjoy it.

Privateer Puddin'

Here's the AGS games page with link to download:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2401/

Might be worth putting this in the first post along side some screenshots  :smiley:

ddavey1983

Thank you, yes. That would have been a much better idea!  :smiley:

Looks a lot better now! Thank you. I couldn't work out how to add images for the life of me!

Cassiebsg

Oooh.. this looks sweet.   :)

Looking forward to trying it. And congrats on the release!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Creamy

I finished your demo.

Spoiler
I found it original and well-written  :smiley:
It wasn't too difficult overall. The fact that you're often confined to a couple of rooms helps IMO. The graphics were crafted with care.

The game is linear. I have no problem with that when it's done right â€"and for the most part it is â€" but the beginning felt slow to me. Some examples:
- finding your own stuff.
- you need a specific mug, a specific coin...

As things speed up and you do what cops are supposed to do, it gets more interesting. I like the whole investigation.

Please consider adding a save feature and the default option menu. I wish I could have increased the walk speed of the main character.
The points chime was a little intrusive. It even plays when you make the last discovery  :-X

It's technically polished. I only encountered one minor bug: the score disappeared when I was about 50 points.
[close]

Good luck with the sequel.

ddavey1983

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed it. I know what you mean about the first bit, I'll bear that in mind in future. I had a go at adding a save feature but couldn;t quite get my head round it. There is the hardwired one available. You just need to press S. Thanks for spotting the score bug. I'll have a look at that. Finally, how long did it take you to finish it, roughly?

Thanks!

Ian Aloser

Nice game, Congratulations !
However , I am stuck at a specific point
Spoiler
How do I extinguish the fire
[close]
Nevermind, got it
Missed a hotspot !

Shadow1000

I finished the game and absolutely loved it. I noted the attention to the graphics and having sounds play for almost every action. The story and length and pace are all to perfection.

I did like the cultural feel of an English bobby but considering the international audience, I'm not sure if the slang was overdone. There were a lot of expressions I was just not familiar with.

The puzzles were fun and on the easier side. I never felt frustrated or on the verge of giving up.

As far as the point system, my points disappeared sometime during the game. I'm not sure how that happened. I also agree with a previous post that there should be a way to adjust the walk speed.

Overall, it really reminded me of my Amiga games circa late-80s. Thanks for the fun!

ddavey1983

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I'm definitely going to have a look at altering the walk speed and sort the points issue when I do another version. I might include an English slang dictionary too!  :smiley:

lanchong

I love everything about this game.
The story reminds me of classic British TV series like The Bill.
The graphics and the humour remind me of EGA adventure games in the 80s-90s.
Puzzles are logical despite a little bit pixel hunt sometimes.
I can't wait for the next episode. If you host it on itch.io or gamejolt, I'd be happy to pay for it.

AnaMoon

Cool demo!!  :) My gameplay:
Spoiler

Drmcscott

I will never get tired of the success sound!

Loved it!

selmiak

finally I came around to playing this game and I enjoyed it. a longer review is in the video description of the longplay I recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz-VpAtNw00

I wonder how to get 101 points. Do I have to give the Malteser to the construction site guy instead of the coffee collection sticker thing?

Mandle

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

deadsuperhero

Just finished this. Honestly, a really cute game. The gentle humor was great, and I loved the SCI-like visual style. It felt like a sillier, British interpretation of Police Quest.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Hobo

A solid game, very reminiscent of the old Sierra titles both in visual style and humor. The overall pacing was good and puzzles were enjoyable and the story really started to pick up as the game went on.

Others have already mentioned the slowish walk speed, slang and occasional pixel hunting, and I agree with those points. There were also some odd visual inconsistencies here and there, like some of the cars looked like they were scaled down from bigger sprites and felt a bit broken and out of place compared to the rest of the environment. And it would be awesome if there were more little animations for the world and characters as it felt a bit static and stiff at times, but I understand that this would take a lot of extra work and time.

Enjoyed the game and will certainly try out the next chapter as well.

heltenjon

I liked this game a lot. The graphics are done well and put me in that old time Sierra mood. While I didn't mind the office chores in the beginning, I think the game really shines when the investigation starts. This is done step by step and area by area, not giving the feel of playing unconnected minigames, but of chapters in a story.

I'm in the camp that doesn't mind the sound when points are scored, but I can see that it's a bit loud and may be annoying for some. I finished with 99 points first, but thankfully only needed to load up my last saved game to find the last two. (I had triggered the ending too early.) I'll definitely try out the second chapter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk