Urban Witch Story (English Translation Available)

Started by Postmodern Adventures, Mon 06/01/2020 12:28:04

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

I think I found a bug (unless it is some thing on my end) causing a crash. If you give the cup of coffee to the blond policeman at the hospital... :)

The game is great.

Edit: Nevermind, it only crashed one time, then it worked fine. I am still stuck, though  :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

KyriakosCH

Ok, after a century I managed to get into the magazine-article writer's house  :=
This kind of puzzle is not intuitive at all - too close to old adventure games where you tried every random thing, though clearly you needed something from the specific person/company.

I usually leave clues for every puzzle in my games. Some clearer and others more hidden (but not so much!) In that case in particular:

Spoiler

-The wife of the librarian says that she doesn't trust anyone except journalists. And we have a journalist near the bar.

-The journalist points to his card on his jacket in the dialog.

-He also likes to dress immaculate as he points in the dialog too.

-We have a stinky lumpy liquid in the Santeria Shop.

The clues are there. Scattered around the scenarios. Like in every adventure game we must see them together. I'm sorry you got stuck there for a long time, Kyriakos!

[close]

As far as I know, very few people are stuck there. Have any of you who have played it had problems in that part?

Shadow1000

Quote from: Postmodern Adventures on Wed 21/10/2020 10:30:27
I usually leave clues for every puzzle in my games. Some clearer and others more hidden (but not so much!) In that case in particular:

Spoiler

-The wife of the librarian says that she doesn't trust anyone except journalists. And we have a journalist near the bar.

-The journalist points to his card on his jacket in the dialog.

-He also likes to dress immaculate as he points in the dialog too.

-We have a stinky lumpy liquid in the Santeria Shop.

The clues are there. Scattered around the scenarios. Like in every adventure game we must see them together. I'm sorry you got stuck there for a long time, Kyriakos!

[close]

As far as I know, very few people are stuck there. Have any of you who have played it had problems in that part?

I solved almost all the puzzles on my own. This was one that I could not solve without help. I think in total I needed help for about 5 or 6.

KyriakosCH

I did solve it on my own, but only because I didn't want to use any help :)
I think what made it a bit obscure is that you don't really go around throwing smelly stuff on people in the game, so it was a bit atypical behavior ^_^

Haha, maybe! But the journalist deserved it. He almost begs the player to do it!

selmiak

oh cool, there is an english version. But why don't you offer a Linux version on itch?

selmiak

Oh what a great game this is! Really well done @Postmodern Adventures :D

I recorded a longplay and wrote a longer review/praise here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y7q3BW3Z-s

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEE PLEASE! :D

edit: reuploaded a new version of the video after the old version had 10 mins of black screen :P

It's always a pleasure been featured on your channel, Selmiak! And thanks for your review! But one little thing... all the portraits and close ups are in the same resolution. They use the "rectangular pixel" like the backgrounds. But having more space to draw the characters,  there's more detail on it and compared to the rest of art, it seems on hi-res.

And yes, there will be more. Take a look at my tweet of today (@postmodernadv)   ;)

heltenjon

I played this to the end now before the award voting deadlines, and I have to say that it's a shame so few have rated the game in the database. We need five people...I've voted, so please cast your votes so people can see how many cups this one deserves.

The game is exceptional. The art is heavily inspired by Police Quest, and is done very well in that style. But the writing...oh, the writing! The game features lots of major and minor characters, each with a voice and personality of their own. Add to that an incredible amount of unnecessary details placing it in the right time frame. I'm sure I've added an hour or two to my playing time just by reading album titles in the store or looking at stuff in the museum.  (nod)

The characters have real relationships, and the game is so long that there is plenty of time for character development. I spent hours going back and forth between locations, following up all the leads in my investigation. This feels very realistic - you get to know about something and then go around asking everyone about it.

In my opinion, Urban Witch Story is one of the best AGS games of 2020. Possibly the best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk