AGS Awards 2019 - Awards are over, see you next year!

Started by cat, Mon 06/01/2020 20:16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make enough time to play enough games to nominate. Sorry for being rubbish.
I'm hoping I'll be able to tick off most of the games on the shortlist and vote properly.

cat

That's a pity, Stu!

We got quite a bunch of votes already, but there are still a few hours left to nominate.

cat

Here are the nomination results:

Best Game Created with AGS

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Tales of Jayvin
Whispers of a Machine

Best Freeware Game Created with AGS

Clotilde Soffritti in: Never Buy a Used Spaceship
Metaphobia
Tales From The Outer Zone: Fleshworms
Tales of Jayvin
Tea For Two: A Detective Logan Case

Best Writing

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Sumatra: Fate of Yandi
Whispers of a Machine

Best Character

"Clotilde Soffritti" from Clotilde Soffritti in: Never Buy a Used Spaceship
"Molly" from Feria d'Arles
"Richard Elmstat" from Metaphobia
"Tondbert" from Guard Duty
"Vera Englund" from Whispers of a Machine

Best Gameplay

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Tales of Jayvin
Whispers of a Machine

Best Background Art

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Whispers of a Machine

Best Character Art

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Whispers of a Machine

Best Animation

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements
Metaphobia
Whispers of a Machine

Best Music & Sound

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Sumatra: Fate of Yandi
Whispers of a Machine

Best Voice Work

Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Whispers of a Machine

Best Demo

Another Hero - First Look Demo
Brothers & Wreckers (demo)
Personal Rocket - DEMO
Theropods

Best Non Adventure Game Created with AGS

AGS Awards Ceremony 2018
Hell's Puppy
Mr Bear Teaches English
Tales of Jayvin
Vivarium

Best Short Game

A Christmas Nightmare
Tales From The Outer Zone: Fleshworms
The World is Weird

Best Programming

Hell's Puppy
Metaphobia
Tales of Jayvin
Whispers of a Machine

Best Puzzles

Feria d'Arles
Guard Duty
Metaphobia
Tales of Jayvin
Whispers of a Machine

Congratulations to all nominees!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to play the games and nominate!

Sadly, I have to say that we had some attempts of cheating during nomination phase. There were people nominating only one single game in all categories. There were also some accounts created just for voting and nominating only one game (or giving alibi votes in categories that didn't apply for that game). I know who you are and I want to point out that this is a behaviour that is not appreciated.

I hope that during voting there will not be such problems.

Thanyx

Hi Cat!

Thanks for the update. I confess that I voted for only one game, simply because, unfortunately, I wasn't able to play any AGS game last year due to my time schedule. Had no idea it was considered cheating.

If so, then please delete my vote, because I definitely don't want to be a cheater. Thank you.

Dave

Jack

Quote from: cat on Sat 22/02/2020 13:59:32
Sadly, I have to say that we had some attempts of cheating during nomination phase. There were people nominating only one single game in all categories. There were also some accounts created just for voting and nominating only one game (or giving alibi votes in categories that didn't apply for that game). I know who you are and I want to point out that this is a behaviour that is not appreciated.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this, cat.

Congratulations to the nominees.

cat

Maybe my wording was unclear. I consider cheating if you create just an account to vote for one single game or if you encourage other people to do so. That's why we have removed those votes.
There was no rule against voting for your game or voting for only one game, so those votes stay as they are. Next year, we might be more clear about this or define additional rules.

Besides that, I'd rather stop talking about this subject for now and focus on the nominees. Voting will start in the next few days, but you can start playing the nominated games right away, if you haven't done so.

Meystari F

Congratulation to all nominated game designers.  Unfortunately, I had to pass thosel games that were for sale when I was voting.  But anyway I wish you all good luck

JSH

Thanks for the WoaM nominations, everyone! :)

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ManicMatt

I knew I wouldn't get nominated for anything, and not because my game might be inferior, but because it's not been played by that many people! Although in many of those categories like background art I would be surprised if I beat any of those! My music however is pretty damn good, but again how many of you heard it..

Hopefully Boiled-Hard might fare better next year?

Stupot

Well done to the nominees. Shame there was a little bit of foul play.

I've whipped up a little spreadsheet for myself to keep track of my votes. Feel free to copy it for your own use if you think it'll help.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IIaJusV4VC9FU4VSiMbw9UhJyKQN3tQLNLC0aiFSRV8/edit?usp=sharing

Snarky

Thanks for the spreadsheet, Stupot! I have to make something similar to keep track of the resources for the Awards client, and this is a really helpful starting point.

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 22/02/2020 23:54:31
I knew I wouldn't get nominated for anything, and not because my game might be inferior, but because it's not been played by that many people! Although in many of those categories like background art I would be surprised if I beat any of those! My music however is pretty damn good, but again how many of you heard it.

Yeah, that's always going to be a problem, but there are things you can do about it. For example, if the FYC entry for the game had emphasized the music as a strong point (not just listed it as one of a dizen suggested categories) and included an embedded YouTube video from or a Soundcloud link to the soundtrack, I might very well have given it a listen and maybe nominated it.

ManicMatt

Chicky

Thanks to all who nominated Guard Duty, blown away to see it shortlisted in so many categories <3

fernewelten

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sat 22/02/2020 23:54:31
I knew I wouldn't get nominated for anything, and not because my game might be inferior, but because it's not been played by that many people!

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 23/02/2020 16:14:11
Yeah, that's always going to be a problem

Let's try and come up with ideas to make the nomination process itself less onerous for the participants.

• Good games getting “buried” under a glut and not being played,
  • games getting a head start purely by chance just because they happen to have been put into the limelight when others might equally well have been, or just because they happen to have been published near the end of the year
  • an overflowing FYC thread that is in itself a big burden to work through,
  • well-meaning and committed regulars striking sail and not nominating at all,
  • lots of voters for just one game each
these are all symptoms of the fact that by now, more AGS games are produced within a year than can be reasonably evaluated within a month or so.

@cat has kindly put my own idea for that its own thread (see preceding link). I don't want to claim that this is the best possible way to go: It was meant as a basis for discussion in order to come up with better ideas.

But we really ought to do something about this. It is bound to become worse year by year. What is barely tenable now will become quite untenable very shortly.

(I suggest discussing this there (see preceding link) rather than here to keep this thread tidy.)

cat

Not being nominated does not mean your game was bad, just that people think others were better, at least in certain aspects.

While I am very happy that Mr Bear was nominated as Best Non-Adventure Game (admittedly a category where not that many games are eligible), another game I worked on was not nominated at all. While I think that the game is quite good, I fully understand that the other games were better and deserve being nominated.

BarbWire

Congrats to all nominees. I was thrilled to see that Tales of Jayvin appeared in several categories.
Well done Vincent for being rewarded for your excellent programming skills. I was, however, disappointed
that Retrojay got no mention for his artistic talent. The unbelievable amount of fantastic drawings he
produced for the game should have received some recognition. There is so much to the game that I doubt
most people got to see half of what it contains.

Jojo_the_monkey

Congratulations to all the nominees!! I was lucky enough to test some of the great adventures on the list. Many adventures was also on my radar to play, before the nomination. Congratulations to their teams and their hard work.
Good luck!!
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk